Jackson Magnet School

VolunteerGeneral

Posted by pujo:

If you will look at these cycles for the last two years,you will see it is nothing more than total dominance when taking into account football,basketball,baseball and softball.A blind person can see whats happening.I,m also a little sick of hearing you people talk about having to pay ,you don,t have to pay anything.There are schools zoned for every kid in the state and every single one of them are educating the kids who want to be educated.Why do we even have private schools anyway.I don,t buy the religion thing,I really believe public schools have just as many christian people as you do.True christians are few and far between.Try being honest,thats a christian trait that really pleases God.Half of you people awnser these posts by calling people names and using sarcasm,where did you learn all of your good christian traits.A.half truth is also a half lie.

Pujo,

I think most of the private schools where started in the time of segragation thats where you see alot of them from. ALso, thereason you keep seeing new ones popping up is because of the lack of focus on EDUCATION and DISCIPLINE in a majority of public schools. Now i think you live in a rural community, becuase of the team you support and it might have some good schools up there but in a metropolitan area to be honest they stink.

They dont care if you come to class and if you do they are just glad you made it. Also from your eyes your looking with small school blinders on. If you take the number of students in A school Such as McGavock here in Nashville it might represent the entire enrollment of roane county senior high students at every high school in the county. What i am saying is that the majority rules in this country and people are not really concerned with what maybe 5% of people say is unfair compared to the majority. They could care less about your situation because they are tryin to keep the 80% of students in the state that attend large schools happy.

I dont think bringing someones religion into this has anything to do with this. I attended Ezell am i very religios, no. These people DO PAY they pay for your kids and their own to attend a better school. If you look at the numbers more kids from private school goto college percentage wise and more end up making more money percentage wise. Thats why people send their kids to school there, while still paying taxes that contrubute to the public schools.

The thing i dont see public school supporters pushing is that they need to improve their own schools. Its hard i know for a small rural school to understand how a private schools pull students from 5a schools, but it happens everyday because of the fundamental defecianies in the metro schools in Nashville. If the privates could afford to recruit the players from all these schools regardless of financial or educational problems with the students guess what. The small public schools would never, i mean never have a chance because they would have every decent athlete in Nashville.

Some of this may be hard to understand but you are coming frrom a whole different set of conditions as what these people deal with everyday. UNtil you walk a mile in a man shoes.....

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chakra, do you think that the students who make straight a's in private school would not do so in public schools? That students in public schools do not go on to be successes. The kids that want an education get one. Metro school, rural school, private school, it does not matter.

Sure, you numbers are greater. Private schools get to keep and reject whoever they want. Public schools don't have that ability. You keep beating a dead horse with those numbers.

Every private school has an advantage over public schools in that they can take students from everywhere in and out of the state. PERIOD!

I started to say the exact same thing.These are the type of kids who are going to get educated regardless.We do have bad kids in private schools.I could tell you all a story about a kid who attended a private christian school all his life until one summer he choose to murder his grandparents.Very nice people,not much of a grandchild though.Good and bad everywhere.

Well this is what i think why this things have changed. The ability of these private schools to get good athletes because they know they are gonna get the exposure they need to get into college through there through atheltics, but at the same time preparing them for the life out side of sports.

Also, i was in no way saying that good students in public schools wouldnt be in private schools. Some of the most intelligent people i have ever meet were in public schools. What i was saying is that the odds of the student having academic success are greater at a private school. You take the same unmotivated student(myself for example) and put them into a public school they dont get the attention they need to suceeed. In a private school they get more individual attention with less distractions, even though i tried to make them for myself.

Softballer- To respond to your question i am not denying that there are certain built in advantages that privates have. Their drawing base is not a good one though. Financial and academic restraints cut down on the number of qualified applicants you can have. If you think any of these schools in division 1 are recruiting out of state your mistaken. They dont have the resources and they dont actually have to when you have a good academic reputation and good sports programs and parents that speak highly of your school thats the best advertising you can have.

The point you guys make about the good students is a good one they will suceed its not them that i speak of. Its the average student that they could go either way for good or bad. More often than not in a nuturing enviroment they are going to do better. Its kinds like a kid form the projects as compared to those in the suburbs. People are products of their envirment as a whole. Not to say there are sucessful exceptions, but you have to look at the majority not the minority. Especially when you are discussing changes that effect people across many different economic and social economic stauses.

Lastly, i think the reason you have seen this happen mainly is because of the deteariation(sp?) of the urban metro schools. They are riduculous as far as the teachers dont care the administrators dont care heck even the parents and students dont care as a whole. So the privates are benefiting from the crumbling of the tennessee public school system where at last check was ranked 48th in the nation. Right above alabama and arkansas. I think there are major problems with the school system and those need to be resolved over the injustice that you see on the gridiron every friday night. That is vastly more important to the suceess of putting out good students and citizens into the real world.

I dont think the private schools have changed one thing they have done they have just sat back and reaped the benefits of a crumbling school system. UNtil that changes why wouldnt you send your kid to school in a place where he a better oppurtunity to suceed in school and life. Because, the rich peoples parents they goto school with have the ability to introduce them to good connections and produce a network of good contacts for the student and his family. Not to say they are all well of but percentages dont lie.

My saying ive thought about while typing this...

Dont try to take the speck out of another mans eye, while you are blinded by the one on yours..

I know not exact but u know what i mean.

Volgen ,if they have a different set of rules, then yes by all means,get them out,Chakra excelent post and a good mark for you.I do think that some of the private schools may have lowered the bars a little and I,d say its making them money and glory.Ezell would be my kind of school and its not quite as expensive as some others.

Posted by pujo:

Volgen ,if they have a different set of rules, then yes by all means,get them out,Chakra excelent post and a good mark for you.I do think that some of the private schools may have lowered the bars a little and I,d say its making them money and glory.Ezell would be my kind of school and its not quite as expensive as some others.

They may have lowered the bar theres no denying that. Kids they may not have taken at one time they may take now and heck as a fan of sports i dont blame them. But the truth be known 90% of these kids for Ezell came there before niddle school with a few exceptions. The exceptions tho have stood out in athletics so i can see why people would be suspect heck even i am, but i trust in the integrity of the school and the administrators.

Other people cant do that because they dont know them but i have faitht hat they have done the right things done through the years. Although it be a blind faith.

Chakra, you the man. I hate hearing people skirt the issues, and you don't. Can any of you other private supporters read and understand this post? Knowing this, why would you think the little small 1a rural school would want out of this situation? We want our schools to have a shot as well, that's why, and the way it is, it's a slim shot at best. We are different.

Posted by pujo:

Good pujo....Now that you see there is a public school or two that have different rules, then let`s discuss some other public schools. Since my school, JCM, will be in 4A next year and in competition with other 4A schools in Memphis, then shouldn`t we also be scrutinizing them since there are so many options for Memphis high schools to get kids from all over the city of Memphis? Do you realize how many kids there are in Memphis and Shelby County? I mean c`mon...they don`t have the same rules as Jackson kids have now do they?