Jackson Magnet School

VolunteerGeneral

Posted by pujo:

Most private schools are in the correct place as far as thier current abilities.I also think that any private school if they are in the right area has the capability of becoming a powerhouse in a short period of time if they have the money and are willing to spend it.Money can buy you almost anything on this earth,even a gold ball.This may sound silly to some of you but I would be willing to bet that Ezell Harding and CPA spends at least 4 times the money on thier atheletic programs than our little public school.

All of the private schools are in the right place pujo. It just happens that about 4 or 5 of them have really good teams right now. So what about the magnet school?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by VolunteerGeneral:

Are you guys who favor a change scared to discuss this subject. I`m just looking for opinions. Do any of you have one???

I've heard you talking about this OPEN ZONE policy within Shelby County and I did some checking. The kids must fall under specific guidlines and if they have already established a athletic record with the TSSAA, they must sit out 12 months just like someone transfering to any other school. Also, the normal recruiting rules apply and if a coach makes contact or uses "undue influence" it is a violation of TSSAA rules. The only way a student can transfer here is if he is an incoming freshman without a TSSAA record and his transfer is approved because he needs to take a class not offered at his local school.

I don't know anything about Jackson or the area schools! But I would rather play against a public magnet school than any private school in the nation! At least we will share many of the same problems! Charter schools may be a different animal, but magnet schools are still limited to within the school systems "ZONE" and they can't draw students from across the state or nation!

Caesar,,since you made two points, I`ll discuss each with you.

1. You are right on with your response about Memphis. Thanks for agreeing with me. As I responded to Just1np in another thread, I talked to someone very familiar with the best middle school player in Memphis from 2 years ago and asked where the kid would be going to high school and he told me that he had not decided. Hmmmmmmm....wonder what choices he had? You mention how it would be a recruiting violation if a coach used undue influence to get a kid to attend his high school. The same applies to Div. I private schools. I guess you would assume that since we don`t see recruiting violations occurring in Memphis then they must not be happening. Surely the same would apply to private schools. I have talked to public school coaches who know that there are schools who break the rules in Memphis and don`t like it one bit.

As for your comments that pertain to this thread, you said....

"I don't know anything about Jackson or the area schools! But I would rather play against a public magnet school than any private school in the nation! At least we will share many of the same problems! Charter schools may be a different animal, but magnet schools are still limited to within the school systems "ZONE" and they can't draw students from across the state or nation!"

It`s obvious that something that I have said all along is true. This debate is not about fairness, it is a vendetta against private schools.

And another thing that further proves this fact Caesar....you complain about the area that private schools get their kids and yet this "zone" that you talk about for magnet schools has over 90,000 people. Can you name any other 1A public school that has 90,000 people to get kids from? Since you won`t be able to name one, I`ll go ahead and laugh now....ROTFLMAO :rolleyes:

The nashville private schools (DI and DII) have well over a million boys and girls to choose from! That is if they limit themselves to just the Davidson County area! If you consider the fact that some private schools like BGA sends buses all the way to Giles County each day to pick up students, then you begin to understand the big picture! I will say this again, Vol Gen, you do not understand what is happeneing in the Metro Nashville area! Some of the best high school athletes are going to private schools on so-called "work study" programs and this is unfair to the small rural schools they play against (who don't have this advantage) and it is unfair (in some respects) to the public schools that lose these kids. You will never agree with this because I have never seen one post where you have yielded or conceded on any subject. Yes, we are all tired of the public-private school debate and we all long for a time when this debate is over and yes I am biased in favor of a total split because I see the differences everyday. Ezell-Harding has a football team that would rival almost any AAA or AAAA school in the state, and yet, they play in the weakest classification in the state. More money, more resources, less restrictions, all of this adds up to an unfair advantage, and I don't think the public schools in Class A or AA will win another state championship in Tennessee until the private schools are split out! You guys can argue about this until the "cows come home" but I just can't see why you guys enjoy playing in class A! Come on up to AAA or AAAA and have a real game with real competition or get out and form your own league!

caesar,

I really do disagree with you on your assesment that a Public School will never win 1A or 2A state again. If we take 1A I will agree that CPA were dominant in 2000 and Ezell in 2001 and likely again this year. However when you look to the late 90's Trousdale and South Pitt had everything meshing together and and were the dominant teams. Small Schools run in cycles both Public and Private.

As a CPA fan, I see these cylces, it climaxed in 2000 and will probably peak again in 2-3 years when our current Middle Schoolers start playing Varsity. CPA has got a good program but come playoff time we have always been eliminated by a Public School so apart from the year when we went all the way, I would say we are playing at the right level. Though we will be competitive, I would be really surprised if we repeated a state title in the next 2-3 years and I'm sure you would find the same views from the Ezell folks. In other words, in all likelihood another school will become the dominant team and I see no reason why it could not be a Public School.

With regard to coverage area, BGA may have a large catchment area, but I know for our school that the vast majority of the kids are within 3-7 miles as we don't provide bus transportation and the traffic provides natural commuting limits.

I also can't speak for other schools, but I am not aware of any Football Player who is on work study. The hectic practice schedule often prevents this.

Posted by caesar:

The nashville private schools (DI and DII) have well over a million boys and girls to choose from! That is if they limit themselves to just the Davidson County area! If you consider the fact that some private schools like BGA sends buses all the way to Giles County each day to pick up students, then you begin to understand the big picture! I will say this again, Vol Gen, you do not understand what is happeneing in the Metro Nashville area! Some of the best high school athletes are going to private schools on so-called "work study" programs and this is unfair to the small rural schools they play against (who don't have this advantage) and it is unfair (in some respects) to the public schools that lose these kids. You will never agree with this because I have never seen one post where you have yielded or conceded on any subject. Yes, we are all tired of the public-private school debate and we all long for a time when this debate is over and yes I am biased in favor of a total split because I see the differences everyday. Ezell-Harding has a football team that would rival almost any AAA or AAAA school in the state, and yet, they play in the weakest classification in the state. More money, more resources, less restrictions, all of this adds up to an unfair advantage, and I don't think the public schools in Class A or AA will win another state championship in Tennessee until the private schools are split out! You guys can argue about this until the "cows come home" but I just can't see why you guys enjoy playing in class A! Come on up to AAA or AAAA and have a real game with real competition or get out and form your own league!

Posted by OnlineLC:

caesar,

I really do disagree with you on your assesment that a Public School will never win 1A or 2A state again. If we take 1A I will agree that CPA were dominant in 2000 and Ezell in 2001 and likely again this year. However when you look to the late 90's Trousdale and South Pitt had everything meshing together and and were the dominant teams. Small Schools run in cycles both Public and Private.

As a CPA fan, I see these cylces, it climaxed in 2000 and will probably peak again in 2-3 years when our current Middle Schoolers start playing Varsity. CPA has got a good program but come playoff time we have always been eliminated by a Public School so apart from the year when we went all the way, I would say we are playing at the right level. Though we will be competitive, I would be really surprised if we repeated a state title in the next 2-3 years and I'm sure you would find the same views from the Ezell folks. In other words, in all likelihood another school will become the dominant team and I see no reason why it could not be a Public School.

With regard to coverage area, BGA may have a large catchment area, but I know for our school that the vast majority of the kids are within 3-7 miles as we don't provide bus transportation and the traffic provides natural commuting limits.

I also can't speak for other schools, but I am not aware of any Football Player who is on work study. The hectic practice schedule often prevents this.

Posted by caesar:

Could you tell me how many people are in the area 3-7 miles from CPA? If I look at a map, 3 miles gets all of Belle Meade and Brentwood, and 7 miles encompasses almost all of Metro Nashville. There is not a public school in the state with that many potential students. I assume you were trying to make a point about travel time. What is the average commuting time for those 3-7 miles? I know my son drives 25 minutes to school, is that comparable? I try to avoid cities, so I really don't understand the travel problem I guess. Thanks... :D

If you will look at these cycles for the last two years,you will see it is nothing more than total dominance when taking into account football,basketball,baseball and softball.A blind person can see whats happening.I,m also a little sick of hearing you people talk about having to pay ,you don,t have to pay anything.There are schools zoned for every kid in the state and every single one of them are educating the kids who want to be educated.Why do we even have private schools anyway.I don,t buy the religion thing,I really believe public schools have just as many christian people as you do.True christians are few and far between.Try being honest,thats a christian trait that really pleases God.Half of you people awnser these posts by calling people names and using sarcasm,where did you learn all of your good christian traits.A.half truth is also a half lie.

I haven't read all the posts and do not know why any other parent choses a school. I will tell you that my family chose a private christain school, because:

1. We thought it was a safer enviroment for our kids than we percived was available in our local public schools.

2. We wanted bible classes, prayer in school and chapel which we could not get in our local public schools.

3. We had friends who sent their children to the school we chose.

4. We thought our children would receive a better education at the school we chose than in our local public schools.

I think public schools do a good job and I am not against them, I felt that the best choice for our family was the one we made. It does not imply that I think public schools have no christians or bad educators. We simply made a choice we had the freedom to make. I agree that alot of private supporters have acted poorly and turned this issue into a battleground, but I alos think many public school supporters have done the same. The fact is I have made a choice, I am happy with it, I think everyone should have that freedom and I support their right to do so. I think both sides should keep inperspective what we are really talking about. It is a sport...not life and death. I have an opinion as does everyone on this board, but regardless of the outcome...most of our schools will never win championships. Thats okay, because our children will be better off for the hard work and effort that they have put into sports. Remember, all private school supports do not think, feel or act the same way...just as all public school supporters don't.

[Edited by JaxMan on 10-3-02 1:03P]