Jackson Magnet School

VolunteerGeneral

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The magnet schools many schools in memphis and im sure in happens in Nashville as well are able to pull from a large base. There should be rules for them as well such as multiplier because they are gonna have the same students a private schools pulls from. They willl adress this im sure in their next meeting since it will surely be brought up by the private schools.

This is one of the main arguments people use is the sure # of kids the school gets to pull from. This is not the main issue at hand tho IMHO. I think the main thing is that private schools pull kids that pushed to excell and parents that have their best intersts at heart. It makes for a better enviroment. And with the percentages of having a sucessful student higher in a private school why wouldnt you want that. My mother for example gave up alot of things for me to attend Ezell and MBA and this was the main reason why. Your Chances are just better there turning out to be a better student.

I still say the system needs to be fixed because right now the system stinks.

I guess we can now change the name of this thread from the Public-Private Debate to the Public-Private/Magnet debate. Now we are getting somewhere! You see I doubt those petitions that were supposedly being distributed regarding a split said nothing at all about magnet schools. It`s very obvious that they have a large area to get kids from as well. I`ve always said that this whole subject is not about fairness, it is a vendetta to get rid of private schools. When people really want to talk about fairness and start including public schools that "play by different rules" as well then and only then will it be apparent that the debate is centered on fairness.

pujo....you keep claiming you want things to be on a level playing field. You want everyone to be honest. Well let`s face facts then. If you want to claim that private schools have an unlevel playing field then you must claim also that magnet schools do as well. The Jackson magnet school may never be good in sports, but that shouldn`t matter since any change will affect all private schools whether they are good or bad. So if you want to come across as sincere about this issue then you and others who support a change shouldn`t just single out private schools. Whenever the word private comes up in this debate it should be written as such...."private/magnet" instead of just "private". Now that is being honest.

I said if they have different rules,treat them the same.I am for what is fair to everyone.Things will never be totaly fair,but it could be a little closer.The petition is not just something someone is pretending is out there.I will assure it is out there in full force.Little mice likes cheese too.

Posted by pujo:

I said if they have different rules,treat them the same.I am for what is fair to everyone.Things will never be totaly fair,but it could be a little closer.The petition is not just something someone is pretending is out there.I will assure it is out there in full force.Little mice likes cheese too.

I realize what you said pujo and I give you credit for admitting that they should be treated the same. I`m just saying that you should be just as adament about the magnet schools as you are the private schools. That`s one of the reasons I call the whiners hypocrits. They just want to single out private schools and not focus on public magnet schools as well.

Posted by pujo:

I thought Tyner was a private school until just a short time back. I do think they should be viewed just like a private school.

Here is something else to chew on. There will be another semi-magnet high school in Jackson opening next year as well. This one will have approximately 1000 kids. (I think that would make it a 4A school) 750 kids will be zoned to go there while 1/4 of the school will come from all over the county. It is easy to see that this would not be an entirely level playing field for JCM and Northside which will be similar in size. They will have distinct zones. Who knows how it will play out, but let`s say a really good coach was hired to coach the basketball team there. And let`s say he had in roads to local basketball leagues and built a respect among young basketball players who might just want to jump out of their JCM or Northside zone to attend the magnet school and play for him. Is That fair?

Here`s a link to read more about this high school.

http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin/mi...200203103524706

Once again you put stuff in my post that was not there! I NEVER said one word about a private school recruiting anyone!!! I have never used that argument in the split debate. I said, private schools are able to accept students from anywhere in or out of the state. For example... let's say I live in Ky. and I play softball. I'm in my last year of Jr. High and my High School team is terrible. I have heard of the great teams Ezell has year in and year out. I have an Aunt who lives near by the school. So I visit the school. It just so happens that I have a 62 mph fastball and make good grades. Ezell would love for me to come there. They even work out a work study program for me. I live with my Aunt during the school year.

Did Ezell do anything wrong? No! Is it fair to the other 1a schools that Ezell plays? NO! Even if there is no work study program, something else I don't like, it is still an unfair advantage that public schools don't have. As far as magnet schools go, if they are able to pick students based on their athletic ability and take kids that are zoned for other schools, something should be done with them also.

Posted by imasoftballer:

Once again you put stuff in my post that was not there! I NEVER said one word about a private school recruiting anyone!!! I have never used that argument in the split debate. I said, private schools are able to accept students from anywhere in or out of the state. For example... let's say I live in Ky. and I play softball. I'm in my last year of Jr. High and my High School team is terrible. I have heard of the great teams Ezell has year in and year out. I have an Aunt who lives near by the school. So I visit the school. It just so happens that I have a 62 mph fastball and make good grades. Ezell would love for me to come there. They even work out a work study program for me. I live with my Aunt during the school year.

Did Ezell do anything wrong? No! Is it fair to the other 1a schools that Ezell plays? NO! Even if there is no work study program, something else I don't like, it is still an unfair advantage that public schools don't have. As far as magnet schools go, if they are able to pick students based on their athletic ability and take kids that are zoned for other schools, something should be done with them also.

Softballer i was responding to more than your post. Also, the same could be said if was a good football player from out of state and i had an aunt that live in Hartsville. Trousdale County has a great program and i was in a terrible team in KY so i move there to goto school. Hmmm seems like you want to kill people because they have a good reputation, and trust me that happens at more than just private schools.

I also agree with you that magnet schools should fall under the same guidelines as private schools, because they can select their kids.

This is what i say tho about division 1a privates. They dont actively recruit kids they come to them, which is the real point. Public schools are losing the battle because they have little to offer these kids. They still have to be able to afford and pass the classes, which ive seen kids get kicked out because of the later there where the best players on the team.

Do i think Ezell should be playin in 1a probably not, but next year they will do good to go 8-2 or 7-3. I also asked about a work study program and was told that if a student is on work study THEY DONT PLAY SPORTS.

I think your trying to argue witht he wrong guy. I would like to see the private schools improve the level of their play and they will not do it in 1A. I wouldnt mind seein them in 2A or even 3A. But stayin with schools that they do have inherent advantages over and pretty much dominate them by the percenatges its not helpin anyone. Especially the privates.

One other thing about that is... to go to a public school the kid would have to prove change of address. To go to the private school she would not.

I'm glad to hear of some of the rules that Ezell has. I'm not trying to pick on them. We are not even in the same class as them. We are 2A. We have to contend with the Goodpasture's and Lipscomb's and so on. Some schools do use workstudy for their players. Which is not a bad thing in and of it's self. The kid learns to work, learns responsibility, ect... but it can also be misused.

Please don't think that I am a private school basher. They serve a great purpose. But, on the other hand don't get on here and tell me what a terible job my wife and I are doing at our job! (general statement to all who do that)

I have never heard one good reason why there should not be a split or at least a bump in classification for the private schools.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an interest in learning a bit more about magnet schools, here is a great article about the new academic magnet school to open in Jackson. It seems they will try to model it after Hume-Fogg academic magnet school in Nashville. There are several interesting points that pertain to this debate regarding both schools. If you have an interest in further understanding about magnet schools, then you should read this...

http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin/mi...200210124252705