Baylor attending The Clash National duals

barbwire

Baylor is going way up north to Rochester, MN for this 32 team dual tournament.

Check out the website - http://www.clashmn.org/

If TN wrestling wants more respect nationally, we are going to have to send more of our teams to tournaments like this one.

Congrats to Baylor for taking this step, now it is up to the rest of the top tier teams in this state to follow suit.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great that Baylor is going to test the water against some of the better teams in the USA! In the past McCallie would attend a big tourney in PA that included Blair Academy but I don't know if that tournament is still on their schedule. Bradley wrestled in the Virginia Duals for a few seasons & Father Ryan wrestled in the Mater Dei tournament for many years but I am not sure if those events are being attended by Tennessee teams today. It's very difficult for teams to get better without wrestling the best competition possible.

Info from known schedules shows the following out of state tournaments.

Baylor -- The Clash and Southeastern Prep School Slam

Christian Bros. -- Toshiba Midwest Classic

Ryan -- Mater Dei and Collins Hill(Kyle Maynard Duals)

McCallie -- Southeastern Prep Slam

As stated these are from known schedules, I hope there are other teams, like Bradley and Cleveland that will be travelling out of state as well. Schedules not yet posted.

We all know that many individual kids from TN travel all over during the off season to improve and challenge themselves. But to continue to grow our sport we need to expose those kids that would not otherwise get to experience wrestling outside these borders. You never know when a kid will suddenly discover his hidden passion for wrestling and set new goals based on these out of state experiences.

Exposure = increased participation.

Also of note,

I know that last year McCallie attended the Chessehead tournament up in Wisconsin. That is definitely another upper-level tournament for a TN team to compete in. I haven't heard or checked to see if they were going back (by Barbwire's post it would appear they are not).

I know the CBHS crew is greatly looking forward to the Toshiba Midwest Classic (also sometimes called KCI) this year. There is a large swath of nationally ranked and state championship level teams in that tournament.

While I hope the Southeast Prep School Slam continues to improve I am not sure it belongs in discussion with the rest of these tournaments Barbwire. My reasoning being that Baylor absolutely ran away with that tournament last year, winning by over 100 points. There were 5 teams that finished closer to Baylor in the DII state tournament (a tournament they didn't win, no knock on Baylor). I just don't feel the SE Prep School Slam warrants mention with the others listed. I am sure it is debatable though.

If you were simply listing all out-of-state tournaments; CBHS is also wrestling in the Herrin Holiday Duals in Herrin, IL.

I am glad to see so more TN teams stepping up to compete in some major tournaments... it will only help the state. Now they just need to work on becoming more competitive in those same events!

Are you speaking of the Cheesehead Tourney that Brandon, FL won last year? McCallie did not participate in that tournament. Although, that would be a prime example of a tournament that TN needs to have a representative in.

If you could Ghouse, please explain what the TSSAA rules are on # of tournaments a team can participate in during the season. I know they put a limit on it, just don't know what the # is.

Also, I do agree with you on the SE Prep Slam, but I am certain it is still a great experience for the boys as a team, While competition may not be as high, it is still valuable mat time vs different kids.

Good luck to the Bros. both in K.C. and in Illinois.

This is from the TSSAA handbook http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/wrestling.pdf

Participation in an invitational tournament shall count in the total number of dates in which a

member school is allowed to participate during the regular season. No school may participate in

more than four invitational tournaments.

You can compete in four individual tournaments, this does not include Dual Tournaments, which you can compete in as many as you want.

Are you speaking of the Cheesehead Tourney that Brandon, FL won last year? McCallie did not participate in that tournament. Although, that would be a prime example of a tournament that TN needs to have a representative in.

If you could Ghouse, please explain what the TSSAA rules are on # of tournaments a team can participate in during the season. I know they put a limit on it, just don't know what the # is.

Also, I do agree with you on the SE Prep Slam, but I am certain it is still a great experience for the boys as a team, While competition may not be as high, it is still valuable mat time vs different kids.

Good luck to the Bros. both in K.C. and in Illinois.

Barb,

Good catch on the Cheesehead mistake. I was thinking of the cheesehead tournament from a thread I read on the national board while writing this... particularly of the nice group of teams currently "rumored" to be attending. It was actually the West Virginia Duals that McCallie had scheduled to attend but upon further checking the McCallie schedule I see that they actually canceled that trip last year (I had forgotten about that). Many of us had been surprised they had the tournament scheduled so close to state duals when many teams are taking a downturn to be sure they are healthy.

I will add one other caveat to what papbear3 posted above as it may also limit the type / # of competitive tournaments TN teams enter.

TSSAA Handbook Section IV - Miscellaneous

Contests with Out-Of-State Teams

Section 2. Only one out-of-state trip involving travel in excess of 600 miles round-trip by a team of a member school will be permitted during any one season.

As you can see that 600 mile round-trip limit comes into play for a lot of teams. For example the Kansas City Tournament uses CBHS' only 600 mile trip but Herrin, IL is less than 300 miles from Memphis so CBHS is still allowed to travel there. I imagine for many coaches they have to pick and choose the tournaments carefully to make sure they don't accidentally violate this rule.

The Prep Slam is going to get bigger and bigger every year. This year Clinch Gear (Dan Henderson's clothing line/mma) is sponsoring it and there will be live coverage/broadcasts on flo! There is alot more going on this weekend but Jeff Walrich can tell you more about it. I know there is a team from PA coming to the Prep Slam and Jason Luster is on that team.

The Prep Slam is going to get bigger and bigger every year. This year Clinch Gear (Dan Henderson's clothing line/mma) is sponsoring it and there will be live coverage/broadcasts on flo! There is alot more going on this weekend but Jeff Walrich can tell you more about it. I know there is a team from PA coming to the Prep Slam and Jason Luster is on that team.

Your telling me that Kiski Prep is coming to the SE Prep School Slam? At least that is the last place I believe Luster surfaced... I think he was with Woodburry VA last year... the rumors have had him at Kiski Prep this year, I don't know for sure.

That is not listed on the SE Prep School Slam website as far as teams that are planning to attend and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Kiski Prep does not have their wrestling schedule on their website.

If Luster is not on Kiski Prep's team then I will take it back but I do not see any team that isn't from the SE currently on the list at the Prep School Slam.

Don't get me wrong, I hope that the Prep School Slam will continue to grow and become a more competitive tournament but right now I feel as if there are several tournaments in our own state that are likely tougher all-around competition. I just don't think it belongs in the same realm of discussion as the other events mentioned here.