Fight breaks out between Usj and Trinity Christian

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

I don't know anything that happend after the game between USJ and Trinity i was reading the Jackson Sun this is the only thing i can find,

University School of Jackson and Trinity Christian Academy players were shoving each other all throughout the hot and humid summer night. In both teams' season-opener, the Bruins won 21-14, shutting down the TCA offense.

There were plenty of flags during the game (23 total penalties were accepted), but things got bad after the game when a fight broke about between the players as they met to shake hands. The teams were quickly separated and after cooling off, both teams circled at midfield to pray together and shake hands.

The officials met following the game and will file a report for the TSSAA state office. Nothing was decided after the game, and both coaches said they will review game tape and wait to hear from the state before any additional punishments are handed out. Forfeits of future games are a possibility.

TCA's Michael Hodum said he planned additional punishments for his team, and players could be kicked off the team based on what he sees on film.

USJ's Mickey Marley said emotions were high in the rivalry game, and his team will need to put this game behind him.

TCA hosts Manassas (whose team was at the game) next week, but that game is no longer a district game. USJ has its first district game next week against Fayette Academy in Jackson.

More details in tomorrow's paper and at jacksonsun.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hazy on rules regarding fighting. I saw one defender tonight lay a haymaker on an offensive player (wound up and punched essentially, although he largely missed). The DB was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, but this was more than just a scuffle or push-off of bodies after a play. This was a strike with intention to hurt. Seemed like a penalty and ejection instance, but maybe the stripes are leery of making ejections that would lead to suspensions for future games.

I know each side sees it different but last night, even in the early part of the game TCA seemed to be antagonizing USJ players and even the Usj stands. Every altercation(and certainly the last of the game) seemed to be started by the TCA players. TCA even had one player ejected after his second personal foul. I have never seen TCA act in such a manner. I know Coach Holdum doesn't approve of this type of conduct.

The personal fouls were late hit penalties, one of which was very questionable. And I realise no USJ fan would ever admit it but the usj players jawed off just as much as the trinity players. Both teams are equally as guilty, period.if you don't believe me go back and watch the game film in its entirety

Jawing is one thing. Throwing punches and at least 4-5 personal fouls to 0-1 is another. Turning to the opposing team's stands with gestures by multiple players is antagonistic. TCA acted like they wanted to fight most of the night and when the game came to a conclusion they continued their actions. It's football and things like this happen unfortunately, but it was not equal fault by both teams. One team was clearly the instigator especially at the end of the game and the other reacted right or wrong. USJ is by no means perfect and should not have reacted the way they did, but the film which has been reviewed multiple times reflects who did what. It's a shame either way, but when you act ugly, own up to it, accept the consequences and go on- remember it's 15-18 yr old kids out there. I hope TCA does well the rest of the season along with the Bruins.

Regardless, there are two suspensions that should occur from the tape review. One, the only player who threw a punch among the minor pushing and shoving, that must be dealt with as there is no room for that period. And two, the entire officiating crew permanently, as this must have been one of the worst officiated games ever. Everything else was minor.

This sounds like a dumb question, but I really don't know: On a kick off, which team is offense/defense?

The kicking team is deemed to be "in possession" for the play until there is a change of possession (in rules-speak, they are "Team A"). But neither team is really "offense" or "defense" in the usual sense. (I do recall once that UT's kicker was both offensive and defensive conference player of the week--for that purpose, the SEC viewed kickoffs as defense.)

I thought it especially classy when 2 of TCA's players entertained the USJ stands by pointing to their crotches and raising their arms as to get the USJ fans to respond. I'm sure that there was a lot of mouthing, etc. , but the spark that started the fight was definitely the cheap hit on USJ #83 by TCA #60 (same player making gestures to the USJ crowd earlier) after the onsides kick had been recovered and downed. USJ should not have responded but when you see one of your own on the other end of a cheap shot I'm sure it's hard not to retaliate. I personally feel that maybe 1 player from each team deserves suspension.

There was a late hit, but no tca player ever gestured to their crotch prior to waving their hands at the usj crowd(which did happen).The whole thing was classless and immature from top to bottom, there is no justification for either team. USJ and TCA are both at fault. Period. When people post and say stuff like that, instead of owning up to their teams ignorance in the moment, it blows small altercations like this out of proportion.Both teams reconciled the errors they BOTH made by lashing out irrationally and that's the end of the discussion. Coacht really should shut this forum down before name/number calling continues. Players and coaches from both schools involved desire far better; both have great football programs worthy of respect and I'm confident after watching them play that both are deep playoff caliber teams. Best of luck to USJ and TCA for the remainder of the season.