DII-A games this week, Sept 4th

Trojan Fan

Games of interest to me:

Donelson Christian vs. Davidson

I don't know much about DCA other than they completely outclassed Mt. Juliet Christian earlier and must have set a record for close losses in 2008 while rolling up a poor record. I've said before that Davidson had size on the lines unlike most of the DII-A teams from last year and lost very little for '09. This is another excellent barometer game to find out who has what early on in the East/Middle region. Is DCA going to be another also-ran this year? This game should help us find out.

Knoxville Webb vs. Ezell-Harding

Same deal. Webb comes in as a DII-AA team moving down in class. E-H comes in at 2-0 moving from the DI ranks after what can only be called a horrendous year in 2008. What to expect? First region game for both. Is E-H improved from last year? If so, just how much better? If Webb is that good will we really even be able to tell that E-H has improved if Webb rolls?

Evangelical Christian School vs. Southern Baptist Educational Center

ECS looked solid against Cordova. SBEC is 2-0 after an uninspiring rout of TRA and a somewhat tight victory over a Jackson Christian squad that in many ways mirrors SBEC in it's strengths. Very well coached and game bunch from JCS w/ some nice talent in spots. I just don't see SBEC with the size to hold up against ECS. It could be good for 2-3 quarters and then again it may not be. If preseason predictions are accurate, the winner of this one will end up the DII-A West 1 district champion and get a bye in the 1st round of the playoffs so it's really a big game for both. I'm a homer for sure but I'm having a very hard time envisioning a way for SBEC to win this one. ECS will need to short circuit and make some mistakes and SBEC would need to play flawless football in my mind for the Trojans to win.

Fayette Academy vs. University School of Jackson

Big game for the DII-A West 2 district. Lots of quality in this group. St. George's, JCS, and these 2 teams all have legitimate hopes of winning this district to start the season and this is the first game b/w teams from that group. USJ coming off a VERY emotional game against Trinity Christian from their backyard MUST regroup against a salty bunch from Fayette that joined USJ in moving over from DI. Fayette ripped St. Benedict last week which probably doesn't tell us a lot but they look like they ought to be pretty good this year. This may be the game of the week for entertainment value. It could be a real early season humdinger. From what I understand, Fayette likes to keep it on the ground and USJ loves to move it through the air. Sounds like a fun one to watch to me.

Good health, travel mercies, and good sportsmanship wishes to all this week. God bless.

Donelson Christian w/ the thriller win over Davidson Academy. Big night for Justin Williams wasn't enough. Is DCA in line to make a run at one of the top 2 spots in East/Middle? Can DA recover from a tight loss? Big win for DCA no doubt about it.

Did Webb even break a sweat against Ezell-Harding? You had to have them as one of the top 2 contenders in East/Middle going into the season. Nothing happened to change that on Friday.

SBEC was up 17-0 and moving the ball briskly w/ few mistakes....then ECS remembered they were bigger at pretty much every position and pretty darn athletic as well. Preseason #1 in the West did nothing to change that opinion on Friday other than the slow start (17-17 at half). ECS dominated the 2nd half as thoroughly as you possibly can. SBEC came in as the preseason #2 team in West 1. This can't bode well for the rest of the district.

So much for USJ being affected by the suspensions. Fayette gets shut out by what has to be the co-favorite in West 2 now with St. George's. Lots of games still left to play but that game is shaping up as a humdinger down the line. St. George's gets ECS & USJ back to back in the next two weeks. Both should tell us a lot about what to expect the rest of the season.

Well, I doubt you can count JCS out of anything yet. They've had several years where they've started slow and gone on to make deep playoff runs.

I heard right about USJ. They put up 35 in the first half then the subs were in with, I'm guessing, mercy rule clock after that. That was without two very important players as well. They have JCM next week @ the Rock then I believe ECS after that. Should be some good fball 8-)

Anyone at USJ/FA? Heard this one wasn't as close as the score. . .

This one was over pretty quickly. It was 35-0 at half, running clock entire second half, and played subs most of second half. USJ had some kids step up big last night to fill the shoes of the two that were out. On another note, we loved the Fayette Band - their crowd stayed in the game because of the band and their music - I am still singing " heyyyyyeeee heyyeee baby" this morning 8-)

Enjoyed having them on campus - great group of kids and fans.

The Webb vs EH game was a complete domination by Webb in every phase of the game. Webb was up 34-0 mid 2nd qtr. and they pulled all their starters and did not play them the rest of the game. The clock ran continuously the entire second half.

It's really hard to get a handle on how good Webb is. They beat a 5A school in their opener who is winless and then EH last night. They play another 5A school this Friday night who is also winless but has very good athletes and have lost to some really good teams. We'll see.