Sullivan South v. Gate City, VA

jhilts

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"in the 70's, 80's and 90's DB would not play Gate City. It was a no win situation for DB. I understand. Whatever!"

The above repeated just for Spear. It is true. Talk to some people around way back then. I am sure there is no one around now that made those decisions then. Heck, DB just played two of the best teams in the state to start this season. I didn't say they duck anyone now. But they used to and I probably would have also.

I really am suprised with all the name calling. You city boys are supposed to be so sophisticated and all.

Just like the football team, i'm playing down to the level of competition, i guess. Roll Tribe Roll....Go Rebels..... 35-0 South

"in the 70's, 80's and 90's DB would not play Gate City. It was a no win situation for DB. I understand. Whatever!"

The above repeated just for Spear. It is true. Talk to some people around way back then. I am sure there is no one around now that made those decisions then. Heck, DB just played two of the best teams in the state to start this season. I didn't say they duck anyone now. But they used to and I probably would have also.

I really am suprised with all the name calling. You city boys are supposed to be so sophisticated and all.

Just like the football team, i'm playing down to the level of competition, i guess. Roll Tribe Roll....Go Rebels..... 35-0 South

I would have agreed with you about the score three weeks ago, but with the trouble South had with Boone (not exactly a perennial power) I would have to say that this one is a toss up. Plus you have to consider home field advantage. Does anyone know if South inked to play them again next year in Col. Heights?

South will host Gate City in 2010 and anyone who tries to extract anything meaningful from the Boone score does not understand that the game of football must be played with intensity and emotion. It is a credit to the Rebels that they were able to find it prior to game's end and salvage a victory. Each week should see improvement and I hope each heart will own that it is a privilege to play for Jake,not a burden, and all that is measured to that end is effort, not wins and losses.

South will host Gate City in 2010 and anyone who tries to extract anything meaningful from the Boone score does not understand that the game of football must be played with intensity and emotion. It is a credit to the Rebels that they were able to find it prior to game's end and salvage a victory. Each week should see improvement and I hope each heart will own that it is a privilege to play for Jake,not a burden, and all that is measured to that end is effort, not wins and losses.

Good post crawdad. I think many people are impatient in waiting for the Rebels to come to grips with the reality of this football season. I think there are a few DB people that are in total disrespect to post that we are overrated because of our performance against Boone. I don't wish this devistation to happen to another team, but it would be nice if everyone would search their soul to find the graciousness to refrain from using our lack of ability to just forget about Jake to summize that we are not the team projected in preseason. Fact is, we may not comeback from this loss. Period. Then what will you naysayers declare? That we never had anything to begin with?

We pray that this does not happen to you. Especially in order that everyone could see how you handle such a life changing occurance. And belittle you based on your inability to rebound from said trajedy in record time. Make no mistake, this was not a blown knee (as in Knox West's tailback), or a broken leg (my respects to Caleb Looney), it was something a bit larger than that. There is not a protocol for when you get over this and come back with the fervor of George Patton. Truth be told some may never get over it. If this were Vietnam and the bullets were flying then getting over it would be a life preserving manuever. But it is not.

Please let me say that when Stacy took over this program the first thing he empowered these young men with was the power of leadership. And in 2005 when Jake McMillan & Co. rewrote the Sullivan South Football Constitution they handed it down to '06, and then to '07, and then '08, and now '09. The Seniors of '09 are a mirror image of what Jake McMillan and the '05 Seniors set as the textbook example of what it would take to push this program forward. We simply have to believe that these Seniors have the intestinal fortitude to pick up their cross and march forward. And remember Jake by doing what he did. Putting the pedal to the metal. It may not be immediately. But the power is in them to stand up and return to battle. But they must decide when. Until then the consequences will be what they may. We must be ready to accept this.

In the end, I admonish you Senior Rebels who might read this to know that we know what you are capable of. Jake knew all to well what he was capable of. You must live with yourselves after you move on from Sullivan South. By all means, if you wish to honor Jake, it must be now! He cannot have left in vain. We don't care if you lose every game. But if each week you hit the field with his power and vision then you will be upholding his example. And if you can uphold his example then your level of victory will be insurmountable. And you will have done your best to honor him. And honoring him will be a life long endeavor...But it is time to begin. In the Rebel Nation.

Good post crawdad. I think many people are impatient in waiting for the Rebels to come to grips with the reality of this football season. I think there are a few DB people that are in total disrespect to post that we are overrated because of our performance against Boone. I don't wish this devistation to happen to another team, but it would be nice if everyone would search their soul to find the graciousness to refrain from using our lack of ability to just forget about Jake to summize that we are not the team projected in preseason. Fact is, we may not comeback from this loss. Period. Then what will you naysayers declare? That we never had anything to begin with?

We pray that this does not happen to you. Especially in order that everyone could see how you handle such a life changing occurance. And belittle you based on your inability to rebound from said trajedy in record time. Make no mistake, this was not a blown knee (as in Knox West's tailback), or a broken leg (my respects to Caleb Looney), it was something a bit larger than that. There is not a protocol for when you get over this and come back with the fervor of George Patton. Truth be told some may never get over it. If this were Vietnam and the bullets were flying then getting over it would be a life preserving manuever. But it is not.

Please let me say that when Stacy took over this program the first thing he empowered these young men with was the power of leadership. And in 2005 when Jake McMillan & Co. rewrote the Sullivan South Football Constitution they handed it down to '06, and then to '07, and then '08, and now '09. The Seniors of '09 are a mirror image of what Jake McMillan and the '05 Seniors set as the textbook example of what it would take to push this program forward. We simply have to believe that these Seniors have the intestinal fortitude to pick up their cross and march forward. And remember Jake by doing what he did. Putting the pedal to the metal. It may not be immediately. But the power is in them to stand up and return to battle. But they must decide when. Until then the consequences will be what they may. We must be ready to accept this.

In the end, I admonish you Senior Rebels who might read this to know that we know what you are capable of. Jake knew all to well what he was capable of. You must live with yourselves after you move on from Sullivan South. By all means, if you wish to honor Jake, it must be now! He cannot have left in vain. We don't care if you lose every game. But if each week you hit the field with his power and vision then you will be upholding his example. And if you can uphold his example then your level of victory will be insurmountable. And you will have done your best to honor him. And honoring him will be a life long endeavor...But it is time to begin. In the Rebel Nation.

If you review this whole thread I don't think you will find anyone used the word "overrated" but you. I believe posters have been very respectful, as they should be.

If you review this whole thread I don't think you will find anyone used the word "overrated" but you. I believe posters have been very respectful, as they should be.

You are correct TeePee. The post in reference is post #6 on page #3 in the South@Boone thread which is currently on page #2 in the 5A/6A table of contents.

Can anyone give any info on why our running game is nonexistent at the moment?

This is a timely question that many Rebel fans are probably wondering about. Only the coaches with their film study would have the best answer but I'll offer a couple of possibilities: I think Greeneville and Boone should get some of the credit as being really good against the run. Against the Devils,the run wasn't there so we responded by passing for a school record 380 yards. Against Boone bad snaps and 7 fumbles didn't help the stats much. In addition Curt Phillips,Taylor Fletcher, and Hunter Beedle have been instrumental in a prolific running game at South for the last 3 years and it is no mistake that all 3 are embarking on successful college careers. While our current players are very good most programs do not routinely replace or reload players of that stature. I believe there will be improvement as the season evolves and getting a healthy Jordan Cassell for the 2 back set will help also.

This is a timely question that many Rebel fans are probably wondering about. Only the coaches with their film study would have the best answer but I'll offer a couple of possibilities: I think Greeneville and Boone should get some of the credit as being really good against the run. Against the Devils,the run wasn't there so we responded by passing for a school record 380 yards. Against Boone bad snaps and 7 fumbles didn't help the stats much. In addition Curt Phillips,Taylor Fletcher, and Hunter Beedle have been instrumental in a prolific running game at South for the last 3 years and it is no mistake that all 3 are embarking on successful college careers. While our current players are very good most programs do not routinely replace or reload players of that stature. I believe there will be improvement as the season evolves and getting a healthy Jordan Cassell for the 2 back set will help also.

Any inquisition into an issue such as this produces a classic 3 headed debate. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I think that one undebateable facet of this issue is that Greeneville, and Daniel Boone both have two of the best Defenses we will confront this season. Period. The super powers of this conference will collectively scoff at this notion but we will see as the season goes forward. Sept. 25 I believe is a Friday when Science Hill, DB, and South are all off and the Vikings just so happen to play Greeneville in the land of chapter 11. I for one would like to see this game.

As for Bobeye? He's got what it takes. And you might just see it again this week. Maybe just maybe you Dads should confront Bobeye. Ask him what the hay is going on! Push his buttons! Wake him up! Call him out! This young man is not a quitter. When the right button is pushed he will come out swingin'. All of you must know that this is where they are right now. They need to know we are there. They need to know we won't accept less. They need to know that we demand their best. They need to know that we know they got this. A few words...a text message...a small gift (a set of 3/4 cleats before they are all sold out at Hibbitts...it helps in wet, soft turf...2 or 3 buck$)...anything to let them know it's time. Now. Just do it Dads.

They are under pressures I can not even imagine.

Got to win it for #54, got to beat DB, got to make the playoffs, scholarships....etc., etc.

Right now the best thing they can do is loosen up and have fun. 86 the quiet focus time on the ride over. Laugh, sing, whatever.

Have fun again. It is a game, after all.