Sullivan South v. Gate City, VA

jhilts

Kinda a neutral fan here. although I have had friends and family at several local schools incl. DB and South. Now that my cousin has graduated from DB, I tend to make mostly South games. i was able to attend the South @ Boone game. It's quite amazing when watching a game, and not having family involved, how the clarity factor is raised. With that said, I'd like to address this question of the South running game. You first must give Boone credit. They are honestly better than many give them credit for. Secondly, Taylor is very talented, as I saw him run wild vs. my little cousin's team a couple years ago. He does need to quit bouncing a little, but he'll bust loose eventially. Plus, Boone's strength seemed to me, to be the interior. They were packing it in as well. The initial dives and powers up the middle were stymied. On top of all the fumbles and mistakes with handing snaps, the handoffs that didn't hit the sod, looked to be a bit scary. As if they were out of sync a 1/4 step.

But, my biggest observation (& I do not believe anyone else has mentioned it), after seeing both this game and the South/Greeneville game, is that the play calling Friday became predictable and hard-headed. If the run isn't there, quit trying to force it three plays in a row. It's ok to use the pass to spread out the D and then goto the run. Many coaches do like to "establish the run", but you must be more flexible. You do not need to wait until 3rd and long to throw. Heck, there seemed to be many open spots on the field that the Rebels would have normally taken advantage of. It almost felt as if the Rebels had changed coaches who was calling the plays, is that possible? They ran right to Boone's strength. South, assuradly has the best WRs as a group in the area, with Haden, Watterson, and Zanoni. Plus Garvin and Phillips at TE. I think I'd use them more. Phillps had success at FB as well vs Greeneville. Not much of that Friday night. Curious what the South faithful think.

Good luck to the Rebs in SWVA Friday, to the Tribe vs. thos Smokey Bears, and to all of Northeast Tennessee.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good reasons that you all gave. I just wondered if someone had access to the game films and could give us some insight on if the holes just aren't there (which that appears to be the problem to me from what I've seen) or we just aren't hitting the holes. Have teams been blitzing more this year to try to stop our run and cause some chaos in the backfield? We did lose a ton of talent this past year so I know that contributes some as well. As far as the mindset of the team right now, just know that we are all with you.

Can anyone give any info on why our running game is nonexistent at the moment?

They are under pressures I can not even imagine.

Got to win it for #54, got to beat DB, got to make the playoffs, scholarships....etc., etc.

Right now the best thing they can do is loosen up and have fun. 86 the quiet focus time on the ride over. Laugh, sing, whatever.

Have fun again. It is a game, after all.

OMG jhilts...the second sentence says it all! Sometimes a couple swallows of sweetwater and a good cigar goes along way.

It seems to me that the real question is not the running game but the running game with anyone other than the QB! I don't know if teams are loading up to stop the running backs, overpursuing or biting on the fakes but Aaron has ran the ball pretty well the past 3 weeks. Whatever the reason, I'm sure the coaches are working to get it fixed.

Go REBELS!

It seems to me that the real question is not the running game but the running game with anyone other than the QB! I don't know if teams are loading up to stop the running backs, overpursuing or biting on the fakes but Aaron has ran the ball pretty well the past 3 weeks. Whatever the reason, I'm sure the coaches are working to get it fixed.

Go REBELS!

To not understand why the QB can get yardage and the RB can't is to not understand the Spread Offense. The goal of the offense is to eliminate the "team" factor and turn the game into an "individual" game. Then the battles can be chosen more appropriately. All QB's can run successfully out of the spread. But it is at the expense of another player. Usually the RB. If the RB can't get yardage then it means he is not a qualified RB or that the D is keying on him by a method called stacking the box. This technique ultimately takes defenders away from another equally important area...i.e. the secondary. And consequently opens up the passing game. Then if the passing game is so successful the D is forced to unload the box then wham...we open up the running game. And we go back and forth and with a good QB sometimes we throw a stick in the spokes by running the ball as if to be a RB and that gives you the 3 facets of the spread. You simply take what the defense gives you. You got it? It's the offense, not the player.

South will destroy GC, Football in Tennessee is bigger, faster and stronger. GC will not be able to keep up with what South can do. South 45 GC 7

I was talking with a friend of mine tonite who is big into Gate City football, formerly as a player and now as a volunteer coach. I asked him for his prediction for Friday night. He gave me three or four excuses why South would win by 3 or 4 touchdowns. He said that they are a lot bigger school, GC has only 6 seniors and 3 are benchwarmers, that their defensive backs are small and one is a freshman. He also said that South has 22 seniors.

But you know I really got the feeling that he was just blowing smoke so they can crow if they happen to pull the upset. And I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that all those folks over there are expecting an upset too. GC is up to No.2 in their classification in VA this week. When I was a boy my dad would take me over there to watch them play Ketron. If things go bad early it can snowball on you. South better be prepared for a very hostile environment. Having said all that, GO REBELS! Bring a win back to the Volunteer State.

South will destroy GC, Football in Tennessee is bigger, faster and stronger. GC will not be able to keep up with what South can do. South 45 GC 7

I was talking with a friend of mine tonite who is big into Gate City football, formerly as a player and now as a volunteer coach. I asked him for his prediction for Friday night. He gave me three or four excuses why South would win by 3 or 4 touchdowns. He said that they are a lot bigger school, GC has only 6 seniors and 3 are benchwarmers, that their defensive backs are small and one is a freshman. He also said that South has 22 seniors.

But you know I really got the feeling that he was just blowing smoke so they can crow if they happen to pull the upset. And I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that all those folks over there are expecting an upset too. GC is up to No.2 in their classification in VA this week. When I was a boy my dad would take me over there to watch them play Ketron. If things go bad early it can snowball on you. South better be prepared for a very hostile environment. Having said all that, GO REBELS! Bring a win back to the Volunteer State.

TeePee...you are 100% correct. I played against Gate City while in high school and know exactly what you speak of. The only teams around here that could hold a candle to them was DB and Ketron. Ketron was a perennial powerhouse. But GC year in and year out was the most massive football team we played. Only one year was an exception and that was in 1971 with the Vikings. The Blue Devils had platoons for O linemen and they were always big and fast. Harry Frye. He was an Icon. And yes, they will run it down our throat if we so much as blink twice. I wonder, do they still have the cannon? Seems liike I remember the Rodgers brothers...was it Phil and Stanley? Anyway, they will be ready for a rumble.

The cannonball has been gone for a number of years now. There's that has attached train horns to a vehicle outside of the field near the fieldhouse. It's loud, but nothing like the cannonball was. GC's not very big at all, but they're not afraid to hit. I look for 2 good teams with tremendous heart to put on a great show for everyone Friday night.

In my opinion, I think it will be a real slobber knocker! Gate City is a good team, no doubt, you dont win big games, state championships, winning seasons after winning seasons without having great coaching, and good feeder programs.

South is building to that also, we have great coaching, good feeder programs, good off season weight training, young men that are very dedicated to making this team bigger and better. Just as most winning teams do, striving to get better!!!

Ought to be a real good fight on the field!! Ready to watch it and cheer on my Rebels!!!

You can bet that there wont be any quit from either side of the ball.