M&M BOWL "IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN"

dou

This was said last year by another Munford grad, but I love how when I was going to Munford and we were pounding on yall every year this "M&M Bowl" didn't exist. Just because you have had success against Munford the past few years, don't think that means they will just lay down and hand the game over. I haven't talked to anyone who has seen Munford play, but a friend of mine has seen Millington play and thinks that they are very beatable. But I'm sure Munford wouldn't mind if yall overlook them.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little history lesson for everyone. For years these two teams didn't even play each other and then they were in the same league together and each team did its share of kicking the other one's tail. The reason that it is the "M & M Bowl" is because when they reclassified a number of years ago, Munford dropped down to 4A and Millington stayed 5A and therefore weren't in the same league. The schools and communities recognized what this game meant to each other (pride, excitement and big time money) and decided to continue the series as the "M & M Bowl." The game would be the opening game of the season for both years when excitement is at a extrememly high level and it would alternate between the two schools every year. Only when Wayne Randall came to Munford did things change. He wanted to go ahead and schedule another game (WIN) before the Millington game and did so. That did not take away from the game. From the time Randall came to Munford, he said that if Millington beat him too bad then he wouldn't play us anymore. After football season last year, he canceled the game and went ahead and booked Covington instead. That's what cost him his job. The principal informed him that he would be playing Millington and when Randall refused, the two decided to go their separate ways due to "philosophical differences" (that's what it said in the paper).

It makes way too much sense for these two teams not to be playing. Each year whoever is the home team will make at least $20,000 at the gate and who knows what else at the concession stand. Find me another game-make that 2 games-that will bring in that type of revenue. Munford already plays Brighton and Covington-their county rivals-so they can't replace Millington on the schedule with those teams. Even if Munford had won 10 in a row in this series, I would still play it. This game is what high school football is all about. Two high schools and communities, close in proximity playing in a rivalry game. The only thing that is better than this is playing in the playoffs.

Whoa....Don't get me wrong, nobody is putting down Munford. I simply am comparing this game to many of the college openers we saw Saturday, and that was mismatches galore. This game used to be the first of the year and it was what it was...a breather for us, a moneymaker for one school every other year, and something the communities could get revved up about. For years though, there has been no contest. Millington has come in, clearly established their superiority and by the second half, is playing their second and third teams. This forum topic "M & M Bowl "It's that time again" would lead one to believe this would be a "thriller"...A Georgia-Florida, an Alabama-LSU, a Texas-Oklahoma etc...You know and I know nothing could be further from the truth...More like a Tenn-W.Ky. There's nothing wrong with supporting your team...that's what is expected of you. However, again it is what it is... NO CONTEST!

You're not putting down Munford? What a joke. This will not be a blowout I guarantee it. Millington is not as good as they have been and Munford is better too. Millington was only up 14-7 on Bartlett at halftime. Don't let that happen against Munford because they will take advantage. If Millington turns over the ball like they did against Bartlett they might not come out of this one with a victory. Munford will be ready and I wish I knew who you are visionaire because I would love to hear your comments after the game. Munford may not win but they are better than you think and Millington is not the "almighty powerhouse" you think they are.

Do not be deceived, Millington may seem to have a chink in the Trojan armor and those chinks were put there by two extremely loaded teams.....but Millington DOMINATED Bartlett every quarter....they dominated the 1st and second quarter...the fumbles in the 2cd quarter will be fixed, thats what slowed the scoring roll down. The only score Bartlett had was due to a snap over the qb's head giving them the ball inside i think was the 15 and they did score. We dominated the whole second half also. I do think Munford is better coached this year and they will continue to improve with the new coach. I think he was a good hire. If the coaches have them ready as they were in the Bartlett game, fix the fumble situation, I think we will see the stands starting to clear early...I love this game!!!!!!

I love reading these posts! Hopefully this will be a good game, my pick is Millington. As for the two tough games to start out the year, I think this can only be a good thing for Millington as they go throughout the rest of the season. To be as good as you want to be, you one day have to compete against the best! Millington may not have the skill they've had in the past, but they have enough to make some noise this season. As for Munford, I think they'll be better too, but I believe Millington comes out on top of this game 35-14.

MarkH, good post and the game is a primary point of interest for the communities involved. I am a Munford Fan but certainly we have seen Millington over the past few years and respect their talent. Munford is working on rebuilding a program that was impacted as much by their previous coaching staff as anything I've seen. The approach was very negative and when a certain All-State caliber player had to move to Knoxville, it appeared that the towel was thrown in on the season.

I do know there was a sentiment from that set of coaches to cancel the M&M Bowl but doubt Covington was the replacement since we already play them every year. Needless to say for many reasons, financial to community, it was not the way to go.

The "new Munford" that visionaire is so tired of hearing about is a reference to a the new coaching staff, new approach and the positive nature of the team. Millington is expected to be better, more talented and we all know they played 2 of the best teams to start the season. We also know that regardless of the talent level, score or any other factor, the Munford team will continue to fight until the end of the game. Hardin hit Munford hard at the beginning of the game and quite honestly, Munford had them tired by the middle of the 3rd Qtr. Turnovers and penalties were a big part of the final score. Don't want to take anything from Hardin, they deserved the W.

Take shots all you want at Munford but I think they are on the right track. The young coaching staff has created excitement and there is interest again from the student body. May not be this year but I do think they will be producing by the end of this year and setting the stage for the next one.

MunfordTiger,

You are correct about the Covington game. What happened was this: Most contracts are for 2 years since they seem to reclassify teams about that often. With the new classification coming, all the contracts would have started over again this season. Last year Millington only had 2 weeks in which to play non league games. Week 1 and Week 5. We would prefer to play Munford to open the season and had played Collierville the last 2 during week 5. Randall wanted to drop Millington and even though you were already playing Covington, he moved that game up to the start of the season instead of the middle of the season where you have been playing them.

I would hope that all Millington fans act with class on this board and everywhere else as well. It seems like whenever the internet and message boards are involved (especially when you don't have to post under your real name), people will say just about anything. I have always stated that there is nothing on this board that I have posted that I wouldn't say to someone's face. I would hope that other people would be the same way.

MarkH,

That makes sense, I know last year there was some discussion from the coaching staff about the Bridges games and replacing Covington in that event. Needless to say, much talk little action and the results reflect it.

My last comment wasn't about your posts and it is amazing how empowered some folks feel when they can type under an alias. I agree with you about being willing to stand behind the words and there is absolutely nothing wrong with some friendly jabs between fans.

High School football is about the kids and the memories built during all the hard practices and games. We all want them to succeed and I strongly feel football is full of great life lessons. The fans get to enjoy the hard work and we need to make sure it stays a friendly, competitive game.

This is a good opportunity to enjoy the local rivalry and Munford is lucky to have these type of games to the north and south. Now if we can just keep those folks at work from giving visionaire such a hard time then he could relax a little.

Go Cougars, Go HS Football and let's hope all the kids come out with no injuries!

I thought it was The Cougars, not the Tigers. :lol:

Neither one had a great weekend so feel free to go for it. Nothing like promises to spice up the competition and I do hope visionaire can feel more comfortable. I guess DOU is much more descriptive for your team????

Should be fun and I look forward to seeing the new visitor seats. Hopefully it will be as hard as always to get to sit in one.

I thought it was The Cougars, not the Tigers. :lol:

Neither one had a great weekend so feel free to go for it. Nothing like promises to spice up the competition and I do hope visionaire can feel more comfortable. I guess DOU is much more descriptive for your team????

Should be fun and I look forward to seeing the new visitor seats. Hopefully it will be as hard as always to get to sit in one.

The bleachers are bigger, but I hope you are correct and it is still hard to find a seat. As far as My name it is a typo from when I first signed up and since I am somewhat superstitous I kept it. It should be Doug. Its okay to have friendly banner amongst fans, I promise you the kids are making no promises. :D

Dou(g):

No problem and we look forward to it, I'll try to give an update on the seats.

I'm sure the kids are looking forward to it and the first 2 games for the Trojans has put some focus on every game for the rest of the year. It was impressive to schedule those 2 teams and it is clear that Millington played the best of the area. Based on the MUS win at South Panola, it says volumes about stepping out to play them.

Good luck and I'll only promise to be there and on the visitors' side. I have quite a few friends with Trojan ties and so it will be fun.