Monterey Wildcats

Gametime1989

Good thing Coach Heady had some straws to draw off the bench on Friday night....I didn't really know how to take that as a slap in the face or what....What do some of you guys think about that?...I know had we been more healthier it may have been different but I don't think I would have said that..The game was very good that was for sure..Hats off to Clay County for pulling it out in the second half they wanted it more than the Wildcats did...

i agree totally with this post i was hoping it wasnt just me that took offense to montereys coaches statement in the hearld citizen sunday that was a total embarssment to him and his program you just dont make those kind of excusses after a loss so you had a player slowed by an injury he played every down on defense and most of the ones on offense i mean come on every team deals with issues you just work hard and get your team ready you dont make excusses sorry for the long rant but the players from clay county played great and beat a good monterey team last friday and i think thats what montereys coach should have said not that he coached harder than he ever had but had to draw starws to feild a team that is bush league

Strong second half lifts 'Dogs over 'Cats

Robert Holder

Herald-Citizen Staff

Saturday, Sep 05, 2009

[click to enlarge]

Clay County’s Shawn Garrett (center) battles for extra yardage while Monterey’s Josh Wilson (3) and James Scott (55) try to bring him down during the Bulldogs’ 13-10 win over the Wildcats on Friday at Medley Field in Monterey. (Herald-Citizen Photo/Robert Holder)

MONTEREY -- The Monterey Wildcats had been playing lights out to begin the season. After a 2-0 start and a Caleb Miller 11-yard touchdown on the fourth play of the game, it seemed like that was going to continue. Then the Clay County Bulldogs came calling and turned the lights out on MHS 13-10 at Medley Field.

Monterey faced more than the team across from them all night as players fell because of injury and sickness. Leading rushers Miller and Boomer Smith came in as questionable and tired to go with an ankle injury and a concussion, respectively. Both played sparingly. Wide receiver Bryson Welch was limited by a leg injury.

"It was the perfect storm," Monterey coach Billy Heady. "They had two weeks to prepare for us, we came off a tough game with Upperman and had some injuries, and let's face it, Caleb wasn't 100 percent tonight. ... In the end it just got to be a patchwork quilt so to speak. I was just felt like I was on the sideline reaching for straws trying to get kids to go in.

"It seemed like everyday this week was a 'what-if situation.' We weren't for sure if Boomer was going to get in, we weren't sure if Caleb was going to be ready and then the next day we put someone else in at wingback and tailback and they are out with the flu. It was just a bad week in practice. We couldn't get any rhythm going."

After having some near penalty-free games, the Wildcats committed 10 penalties for 59 yards to compound the frustration.

The Bulldogs put 13 points on the scoreboard in the second half behind a powerful 363 yards of rushing. Clay County wide receiver/running back/defensive back Shawn Garrett led the team with 197 yards on 11 carries, including romps of 57, 63 and 26 yards, and scored the first touchdown in the third quarter.

"The offensive line stepped up tonight," Clay County coach David Maxfield said. "We've been working on (putting Garrett in the backfield). You want to make sure that you get the ball in the hands of one of your best players. All the boys did a good job."

Coach Heady agreed, "The first touchdown that Garrett scored, when he busted that big long one (63 yards), we hadn't seen that on film. You got to stop him. All of sudden they moved him to where we hadn't seem him in that single wing formation and it caught our kids off guard."

"I feel like I coached as hard this week as I have ever coached in my whole entire life and things just didn't work out tonight."

CCHS fullback Nick Stephens pushed the ball across in the fourth for the final score from four yards out with 11:54 to go.

After a stop in play because of a light failure, The Wildcats tried to respond after quarterback/cornerback Josh Wilson picked off his second CCHS pass of the night. Tyler Thornton lined up in the backfield as quarterback and moved the ball well in the 'Wildcat' formation, but the drive stalled on the Clay County 44-yard line.

Thorton led the Wildcats in rushing with 69 yards on 12 carries. Smith had 10 carries for 53 yards.

"We just got to get better," Wilson said. "Regardless of what I did or what anybody did. When it came down to making one play, they did better than we did.

"We aren't going to give up on anything. One loss is not the end of the season."

So your saying that Coach Heady made excuses, instead of... I'm not ascertaining the thought process behind your ^^^ post. Just spell it out for us please. I'm not trying to or ever will start an argument on these boards, but I'm just not following you here. It's unclear to me...

It seemed like everyday this week was a 'what-if situation.' We weren't for sure if Boomer was going to get in, we weren't sure if Caleb was going to be ready and then the next day we put someone else in at wingback and tailback and they are out with the flu. It was just a bad week in practice. We couldn't get any rhythm going."

"It was the perfect storm," Monterey coach Billy Heady. "They had two weeks to prepare for us, we came off a tough game with Upperman and had some injuries, and let's face it, Caleb wasn't 100 percent tonight. ... In the end it just got to be a patchwork quilt so to speak. I was just felt like I was on the sideline reaching for straws trying to get kids to go

Sorry i didnt speak clearly this is what i was talking about maybe its just me but that is making excuses anyways wast tring to get anything stirred up i thought the kid they interviewed in the paper had good things to say and he was right monterey is not done yet they are a very good team i talked to a few of clays coaches and they were very impressed with monterey and thought the wildcats could play with gordonsville good luck to you the rest of the year

You guys are making something out of nothing, Coach Heady has praised Clay County's coaches for the job they did Friday night. He gave them their kudos for their offensive scheme in the second half on Friday. He told me he thought the Garrett kid is one of the best if not the best player in the region. Sometimes the paper doesn't always print everything that was said as well. I would suggest that before you judge Coach Heady or any coach for that matter that you try having a microphone stuck in your face after an extremely tough loss and come up with exactly the right things to say.

Clay County just outplayed us. We didn't play as well as before, regardless of who was in. When you don't play well and have injuries and play a team that was hungry, you get beat. This loss will build character and give opportunities for players to get better and be ready to step up. Clay Co. did want it more. The worst thing that could have happened to us was to jump out 10-0. We have to learn to finish.