Big Games in Memphis ... Week 4

kwc

Man ... there are several games on tap for this comming Friday. Since I have a commitment this Friday, I won't get to see my team play ... but I thought I'd start this post to get things moving along. I am going to list some of what I think are the biggest match-ups ... "must see" type of games and then I challenge everybody who reads this to prognisticate. I'm not listing these games in any particular order of importance. These are all games that I just think are pretty big. Here goes.

1) CBHS vs. Whitehaven @ Whitehaven

2) White Station vs. East @ Fairgrounds

3) Mitchell vs. Melrose @ J.P. Freeman

4) MUS vs. Olive Branch @ O.B.

5) Germantown vs. Houston @ Houston

6) ECS vs. Bolton @ Bolton

Prognostication:

Game 1, Winner ... Whitehaven ........ Score ... WHS 24, CBHS 20

Game 2, Winner ... White Station ..... Score ... WSH 28, East 21

Game 3, Winner ... Melrose ............. Score ... M 28, Mi 21

Game 4, Winner ... MUS ................. Score ... MUS 31, O.B. 21

Game 5, Winner ... G-town ............. Score ... G 24, Hou 10

Game 6, Winner ... ECS .................. Score ... ECS 28, B 17

There you have it. Well guys ... let's hear what you have to say.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta disagree on the Whitehaven vs. CBHS score, I think The Brothers get a victory after dismantling White Station's offense. Better Coaching and Special Teams will doom the Haven against CBHS.

CBHS 24 Whitehaven 12.

JodyJoe ... I already know I'm being a homer ... but I think they can do it. Well ... I guess hoping is more like it ... but ... that's my team and I'm not going to pick against them. This is a game that WH can use for redemption.

Repect da Haven!

Now ... what do you think of the rest of the games I selected? Don't just comment on the WHS/CBHS game ... come on ... give us some input my man!

I'm really interested in seeing the MUS / Olive Branch score and highlights.

Well, I pretty much agreed with the rest of your picks. :|

But the White Station and East game will be the most interesting. If White Station plays like they did vs. BCS and the Haven they'll manhandle East, if they play like they did against Ridgeway and CBHS it could a very close and entertaining game, but like I said to Trader, East defense is not good. They capatilized off miscues against Southwind even though they moved the ball inside the 10 5 TIMES!!! Anyways Porter from Southwind, torched East for around 200 yards!! White Station should be able to move the ball, but the East offense will be hard to stop.

White Station 29 East 16

I think Mitchell will blow out Melrose to be honest in a game that isn't as close as the score indicates. The Mithcell offensive attack will be nearly impossible to stop for a young Melrose squad that may be able to hang around with their own offense before succumbing to a superior team.

Mitchell 44 Melrose 18

MUS vs OB will be very interesting. OB's running game is very hard to stop from watching the East and BA games, but their passing could be better. I think MUS has the defensive ability to hold off the OB running game and force them to throw similiar to what they did to USP. I think offensively if the skill guys around Bruenetti click that their offense won't have much of a struggle, but I think the game remains close until the 4th when MUS pulls away.

MUS 28 OB 17

Gtown vs Houston won't be much of a game to me in all honesty. I think Houston hangs around due to Gtown's lack of offensive power, but the Red Devils pull it off.

Gtown 20 Houston 14

Don't know about ECS and Bolton.

Prognostication:

CBHS 23 -- WH 8

East 26 -- WS 20

Mit 32 -- Mel 18

MUS 24 -- OB 20

Gwtn 21 -- Hou 17

ECS 31 -- BOL 13

I see everyone who has commented has jumped all over my WH vs. CBHS pick. That was to be expected. I didn't think anybody else then a WH fan/alum would roll with me on that one. That's cool ... I'm fine with that.

BUT ... have any of you who are picking Mitchell over Melrose considered either team’s strength of schedule to date? Because ... if you go look at both teams schedules to date and then view how they performed ... you might reconsider. Or ... you may just rethink the margin of victory. I don't know ... maybe you won't ... but I think you need to go look at who they played, and where ... and consider things afterwards because quite frankly ... I'm not impressed with Mitchell's opponents to date. Not in the slightest bit. Melrose on the other hand has played some tough teams and has been competitive while doing it. I don't know ... but to me ... that means something. I'm just saying.

Then again ... for the past two weeks I've had a consistent diet of crow ... so ... what do I know?

Just food for thought.... Food for thought.

Prognostication:

We (the Haven) will beat CBHS... No other words until after the game... :roflol:

East will beat White Station 32-28

Mitchell will find a way 2 lose 2 Melrose in a no Field Goals allowed game 26-24 Melrose

Home cookin down in OB will keep this game closer than what it should be 31-30 MUS

I see G-Town winning 20-10 over Houston.

ECS and Bolton... no prediction... I don't know enough about either club.

RESPECT DA HAVEN

I think WH matches up better with CBHS than WS does because of size. If WH's coaches will use their size to go at CBHS instead of trying to go around them, I think they stand a better chance. Since I'm skeptical that that will happen.....

CBHS 20 - WH 7

Here's the roller coaster ride....WS vs East. WS seems to play well, then relax, then get serious again. I'm hoping for a serious effort this Friday. It will be needed for the Spartans to prevail. (and I'm a homie on this pick) :roflol:

WS 27 - East 10

Houston vs G'town could go either way. I don't see any real powerhouse ability from either team. I do see them as better defensive teams and not very good on offense. Watch one surprise me by scoring 50......

Houston 14 - G'town 10

I'd go watch this one between OB and MUS if WS wasn't playing. I think OB might have more to prove here, but I'm doubtful they can actually get it done. While MUS isn't perfect, no one has been able to exploit their weaknesses well enough to win. OB can't seem to get past teams like South Panola when it matters. So I question their ability to make the big play in the big game.

MUS 27 - OB 20

I'd love to jump on that Mitchell bandwagon. I think they are quite the team. But Melrose has this thing about holding their own regardless of how flashy the opponent looks in other games. It seems Melrose always lacks a kicking game, discipline, or some other part of the game, yet they seem to keep on winning. Go figure.....

Melrose 32 - Mitchell 21

ECS can rack up the points. Not a defensive powerhouse from what I've seen/heard. Bolton seems to be decent, but I don't think they can keep up with the points.

ECS 30 - Bolton 17

Man ... there are several games on tap for this comming Friday. Since I have a commitment this Friday, I won't get to see my team play ... but I thought I'd start this post to get things moving along. I am going to list some of what I think are the biggest match-ups ... "must see" type of games and then I challenge everybody who reads this to prognisticate. I'm not listing these games in any particular order of importance. These are all games that I just think are pretty big. Here goes.

Prognostication:

CBHS 27 - WHS 14

Athletically, Whitehaven matches up very well to CBHS. They have at least the same size, strength, numbers, and actually have more speed. But due to questionable coaching and not having an adequate kicking game, Whitehaven will lose. The key to this game for Whitehaven will be whether or not its offensive line can do its job and contain/block CHBS's defensive line. If they can, Whitehaven can win a very close game.

White Station 22 - East 20

This prediction is based on WS's starting QB playing. He left the game with what appeared to be a minor ankle injury in the CBHS game.

Melrose 18 - Mitchell 12

Though this one of the weakest Melrose teams that I have seen in the last 10 years. They still have that swagger and still seem to intimidate most teams to various degrees. You always should factor in Melrose's sense of pride in its program, when picking against them; which is why I am picking Melrose in a very close game.

MUS 33 - OB 20

Does anyone realize that MUS has been playing without Keith McBride, its starting running back?! I think he'll get some playing time in this game but will not be 100%. At the Bridges Classic, I was told that he would be out about 4 weeks. Well, that means that he may be back this week, if he hadn't already returned in the Overton game.

G-town 23- Houston 13

G-town's ground game will eventually wear Houston down.

ECS 20 - Bolton 13

This should be a competitive game with Bolton having one of its better teams this year.

... have any of you who are picking Mitchell over Melrose considered either team’s strength of schedule to date? Because ... if you go look at both teams schedules to date and then view how they performed ... you might reconsider. Or ... you may just rethink the margin of victory. I don't know ... maybe you won't ... but I think you need to go look at who they played, and where ... and consider things afterwards because quite frankly ... I'm not impressed with Mitchell's opponents to date. Not in the slightest bit. Melrose on the other hand has played some tough teams and has been competitive while doing it. I don't know ... but to me ... that means something. I'm just saying.

Then again ... for the past two weeks I've had a consistent diet of crow ... so ... what do I know?

Just food for thought.... Food for thought.

I agree--Melrose's strength-of-schedule (S.O.S) is light-years stronger than Mitchell's. I DID consider that factor when I made my prediction of Mitchell defeating Melrose.

My #1 problem with Melrose stems from their dismal OVERALL performance vs Woodale (another team with an extremely poor S.O.S), despite winning that game 14-0......I listened to that game, while attending the OB - BA game.

Woodale actually dominated Melrose in every respect, except the scoreboard! Turnovers, untimely penalties and extremely questionable play-calling doomed Woodale, particularly in the Red Zone. In addition, Melrose's scores were via short-fields which was also the direct result of those same Woodale issues.

While both Mitchell and Woodale have poor SOS, Mitchell is a superior-quality team than woodale. This is because--if for no other reason, Mitchell's impressive State Final's run last year, coupled with their high number of returning-starters... Woodale, on the other hand, proved that their 2009 team is not quite ready for "prime time:" You MUST be able to execute in order to win the big ball games!

Similar to Woodale, Mitchell will dominate Melrose on the football field. Unlike Woodale, Mitchell WILL be able to close the deal and dominate Melrose in the most important area--the Scoreboard.

-----------------------------------------

I'm sticking with my earlier prediction: Mitchell 32 ---- Melrose 18