Powell @ Anderson Co.

futbolfan

I agree that AC hasn't beaten a good team yet, but they did go toe-to-toe with Morristown East. It remains to be seen just how good Mo East is, because they haven't beaten a good team, other than Anderson County (losses to AE and Cleveland). That said, it looks like AC can score some points, and they appear to have a very good passing attack. Oak Ridge really exploited that last week versus the Panthers.

Powell has to hold onto the football. In their 2 losses this season, fumbles have killed the Panthers. What is strange about these fumbles is that most of them could be solved by simply covering up the football. They almost came back to beat Fulton, but they got stuck in a hole that they couldn't get out of against OR. The Powell offense is all about ball control, which is a great way to slow down AC's high-scoring offense, but it doesn't work when you continue to fumble. If the Panthers can hold onto the football and have some early success on offense, this will be a close game. However, if Powell gets into a situation similar to last week, AC should cruise.

I expect Matt Lowe to have Powell's defense ready for AC's passing attack (they didn't seem ready for OR's passing attack last week). However, I don't believe that this Powell team has solved their fumbling issues. AC wins, 24-14.

Sounds like a reasonable analysis. Side note: when did Coach Lowe start coaching defense? Or were you generalizing?

I was just generalizing. I have to think that he was pretty upset about the pass defense after last week though. The Powell DBs looked lost the entire game.

I was told that in the spring CML was coaching the DB's. I saw them scrimmage Bearden in the spring and they looked much better than they have this fall. Especially when they were in a 4-3 cover 2. Not sure why CML hasn't taken over the reins of that particular group since by all accounts that seems to be one of the biggest concerns, certainly on defense. Well we should find out tonight if there has been progress made in that area, because AC will throw it around. Have you looked at the passing stats for AC the past couple of weeks!? :thumb:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, a win is a win. The Mavs' offense looked good for the most part. Our defense had some impressive stops when it counted. However, Powell's offense kept the defense off kilter at times.

Powell does a good job hiding the ball and has some sneaky good backs. I was impressed with their sophomore QB in how he sells the fakes.

Powell sold out on defending the pass and did some things to confuse our spread and still had some good rushes. They're better than a 2-3 record would indicate. Lowe is a good coach.

AC's defense is gonna have to step it up against Halls' run oriented offense next week.

My observations:

1) Each team had opportunities to put the game away at various times, but didn't.

2) AC has an issue with their PAT's and Kick Offs, will cost them a game at some point.

3) Until Powell finds an answer to cover the pass they will be vunerable to passing teams, good news, they will not face another passing team until they see Clinton.

4) AC looked extemely fatiqued in the 4th qtr.

5) Powells running game looked strong, will be difficult to go very far without some sort of passing game to keep good defensive teams off balance, AC is not a good defensive team.

6) Fun game to watch

Im right there with you on the score 92 Dragon but im going to go ahead and say this.. if Powell can cover AC's recievers they can shut down AC's offense. AC really hasnt played any good teams yet.. their test will be the next few weeks,... but i believe they are on the right track.... can they win their region? No i think its Clintons region to win.

kidd, I know you are a Clinton fan and that's great. I like the Stone kid. Good athlete, along with some others. Is it Clinton's region to win? Maybe. The jury, I believe, is still out. AC played one game...5 TD's, 5 different receivers. I, for one, am becoming quite a fan of the Gillum offense at AC.

Oh i fully support Gillum at AC... He really has you guys on the right track.. and im always happy when a hometown guy comes back to coach his H.S. Team, But here are the facts. Anderson County has yet to face anyone with anything close to the athletic ability of Clinton. One of clintons biggest defensive issues is stopping the run once it gets to the second level. There is one problem with that, Anderson County is prob one of the most one sided teams in the state of Tennessee. Will Anderson County be able to throw on Clinton? Yeah they will... but in no way are they gonna be able to throw all over clinton like they have been able to with the first four teams they have played, Clinton plays to fast. Anderson County will have to come up with a more balanced attack to beat Clinton. It will be an extremly tight game...

Oh i fully support Gillum at AC... He really has you guys on the right track.. and im always happy when a hometown guy comes back to coach his H.S. Team, But here are the facts. Anderson County has yet to face anyone with anything close to the athletic ability of Clinton. One of clintons biggest defensive issues is stopping the run once it gets to the second level. There is one problem with that, Anderson County is prob one of the most one sided teams in the state of Tennessee. Will Anderson County be able to throw on Clinton? Yeah they will... but in no way are they gonna be able to throw all over clinton like they have been able to with the first four teams they have played, Clinton plays to fast. Anderson County will have to come up with a more balanced attack to beat Clinton. It will be an extremly tight game...

Bump...on the hometown thing. I agree, AC is VERY one sided right now. They MUST become more balanced to be more competitive. I hope we don't go from one extreme (running/Kerr) to another extreme (passing/Gillum). I'm not, as a rule, an offensive person. I think the old addage that " offense sells tickets, defense wins championships" holds true. Our defense needs work at this point, also.

That being said...Let's face it. AC nor Clinton has faced very good teams up to this point. Clinton's depth may very well be their "Achilles heel". I've got news for you. AC WILL PASS AT WILL ON CLINTON. Can AC's defense stop Stone and Company...we will see. Clinton will be beat up by week 10. I'm looking forward to the game. Aren't you? Will be an offensive shootout. Good Luck.