Alcoa makes rivals 100 debut

ILuvsports

As stated earlier, has Alcoa considered playing in a higher classification? I would think that would allow for much higher exposure for this awesome program that you have there and potentially climb higher in the national picture. I would think that outside pollster would consider your wins against the smaller schools in your classification a question mark on your resume. I know you guys play schools bigger than you quiet often, but the measuring stick is championships. Is Alcoa good enough to win a 5a or 6a state championship? 4a - definitely. 5a - a chance. 6a - probably not a good chance.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa has had alot of success in 2A, they have a good coach, smart kids, good sportsmanship, etc....

It would be hard to figure out how much of their success comes from OOZ players. I do know that a large portion of Tennessee High School football fans have no idea about the number of Players that Alcoa and even Maryville have on their teams that are out of DIST. Schools in rural West and Middle TN would have a hard time doing that. But I'm sure they would if they could.

As stated earlier, has Alcoa considered playing in a higher classification? I would think that would allow for much higher exposure for this awesome program that you have there and potentially climb higher in the national picture. I would think that outside pollster would consider your wins against the smaller schools in your classification a question mark on your resume. I know you guys play schools bigger than you quiet often, but the measuring stick is championships. Is Alcoa good enough to win a 5a or 6a state championship? 4a - definitely. 5a - a chance. 6a - probably not a good chance.

Sorry, don't mean to belittle you, but that's just absurd. Alcoa is doing very well right now, but, as we all know, success runs in cycles. Why in the world would anyone want to play in a higher classification if the next few years may be "down years". Who cares about national rankings? They really don't mean a thing. What matters is that you are still playing on the 1st weekend of December for proof that you're the best team that year in your state.

Are you aware that Alcoa is the 2nd or 3rd smallest school in 3A? So, we don't play any smaller schools in our classification; every school we play has a bigger student population than we do. We'll never know if we're good enough to win a 5A or 6A championship; we may not be able to win, but this year we'd definitely give them a good game. Until one of those schools steps up and wants to play us, we'll never know.

Tornadogold....when was the last time you guys thought there might be a chance you could get beat, besides the Maryville game every year? Be Honest I'm mostly talking about Dist. games

swingjuice your comments are laughable. Since you don't know anything about Alcoa apparently, let me fill you in. In 1981 (might have been 82 but i think it was 81) we moved to 1a to 2a. We had 410 students at the time. Which puts us in 1a at the time BUT WE CHOSE TO MOVE UP. This probably cost us 3-4 basketball championships and 3-4 football titles. We did this because of scheduling, travel distant and gate revenue. As far as this year goes tornadogold said it best. We r the 2nd smallest 3a school in the state. Why would we move up???

As far as district games go. I would say CAK 2 years ago. They played us very close 28-14. They were the second best team in 2a that year. I hope this is good enough for you MHS.

WOW, slow down, I'm not nocking Alcoa, to be the best you have to beat the best, and you have had that title awhile, and I completely respect that, but you have to admit, the last several years you guys are head and shoulders above most everyone. All I'm saying is thats gotta get a little old, knowing your gonna wax everybody. Hey hope to see ya in Cookville, you gotta be there to win. Maybe I'll buy you a cold one

Tornadogold....when was the last time you guys thought there might be a chance you could get beat, besides the Maryville game every year? Be Honest I'm mostly talking about Dist. games

CAK is always a threat. They bring their game with us. In years past, if they had played Loudon the way they always play us, they would have won those games. With CAK in our district, the title is no gimme, believe me.

[

Sorry, don't mean to belittle you, but that's just absurd. Alcoa is doing very well right now, but, as we all know, success runs in cycles. Why in the world would anyone want to play in a higher classification if the next few years may be "down years". Who cares about national rankings? They really don't mean a thing. What matters is that you are still playing on the 1st weekend of December for proof that you're the best team that year in your state.

Are you aware that Alcoa is the 2nd or 3rd smallest school in 3A? So, we don't play any smaller schools in our classification; every school we play has a bigger student population than we do. We'll never know if we're good enough to win a 5A or 6A championship; we may not be able to win, but this year we'd definitely give them a good game. Until one of those schools steps up and wants to play us, we'll never know.

No offense, but it only takes 22 players to make a team (really not that many). Assuming you would want back-ups and a complete program, let's call it a cool 80 kids. You get the right kids then you could be 1A and be the best in the state. The thread is about top 100 teams in the nation. I fully believe Alcoa is the best team in 3a in TN. I would think it would be great to see Alcoa play against some of the bigger school teams because I truly don't buy into big schools being better than a small (good football program) school. It is common for most people to consider the larger school to win a state championship in the classification to be the best. What else does Alcoa need to prove @ 3a? It would make for a good story for a small Alcoa school to win the 5a championship and knock off some of the big bullies. It would also help with the whole OOZ discussion, since this was a "similar" discussion to how the whole Division II conversion got started way back when. Once again, my congratulations go to the Alcoa football team for this outstanding ranking accomplishment. See ya in December.

Obviously you're not aware that the bigger schools won't put us on their schedule. Some will scrimmage, but won't play when it counts. Of course, that may change in a few years when Alcoa is in the "down cycle".

Anyway, I don't put a lot of stock in the national rankings. Tn. football is good, but I'm told there are other states who are better. There's no telling how Tn. schools would hold up against other states; and we'll never know.

Anyway, I don't put a lot of stock in the national rankings. Tn. football is good, but I'm told there are other states who are better. There's no telling how Tn. schools would hold up against other states; and we'll never know.

I get your drift, but we actually know more and more each year, as Tennessee (Alcoa included this year) plays 60-70 games versus out-of-state competition annually.

National rankings well always be a fuzzy subject on the high school level with 10,000-15,000 teams, but the more and more these intrastate matchups occur - and particularly amongst the "high level" programs - the more validity the rankings get, as the common opponent factor is lessened.

I get your drift, but we actually know more and more each year, as Tennessee (Alcoa included this year) plays 60-70 games versus out-of-state competition annually.

National rankings well always be a fuzzy subject on the high school level with 10,000-15,000 teams, but the more and more these intrastate matchups occur - and particularly amongst the "high level" programs - the more validity the rankings get, as the common opponent factor is lessened.

Would be kinda cool to see how "good" TN schools do against "good" out of state teams. Don't guess you guys know of any existing threads that keep up with that sort of stuff???