debate over

pujo

Take a look at coacht.com and read the story about the football players from clarksville academy transferring to a public school in hopes of getting to play football.So much for the great private education and all that goes with it.People do choose schools because of atheletics and its easy to see who is getting the best ones.It's my opinion that most of these kids who are attending these good private would natually attend either 4a or 5a schools and would make it harder for them to put up the numbers they can at the 1a level.It would be the same thing if any of the good private done away with sports programs.These good atheletes would be finding them a school where they could play ball and just like the clarksville kids'a public school would be just fine. CASE CLOSED SEND IT TO NASHVILLE

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not trying to be argumentative.

Is your point that most athletes at private schools would be zoned for 4A and 5A schools? That is probably true since the majority of private schools are in metropolitan areas.

How does that fact resolve this debate? I don't follow.

[Edited by Bighurt on 9-17-02 2:37P]

The private school people always try to tell us that the only reason these kids go to these schools is for the education and better envirament ,but when these kids from Clarksville academy transfers to a public school to play football,it makes thier case very weak.The other point I was making was that the private schools have an advantage because they pick up alot of good atheletes because they would rather be a big fish in a little pond.

Point well taken. Good academics are not always the only reason why parents send their kids to private schools. Sometimes, it is athletics. Sometimes, athletics is the main reason or sadly, the only reason. I respect your opinion. There is no easy answers.

Regarding the situation with football players from Clarksville Academy, you can read a story from the Clarksville paper that give a little different slant. It is on the Football board and the thread is named "Hardship???". Although newspapers can twist facts and misquote people, Ronnie Carter seems to give a different reason for denying some of the hardship cases

[Edited by Bighurt on 9-17-02 3:22P]

The article in question tells me nothing, other than some kids wanted to try to play football and transferred to a school that offered football.

As it relates to any kind of "debate", I think it would help us all if we knew a few more facts, such as:

How many CA student/athletes (football players) did not transfer versus how many that did?

What was the financial situation of the students in question that transferred vis-a-vis the financial situation of the average student at CA?

What was the academic standing of the students in question that transferred vis-a-vis the academic standing of the average student at CA?

[Edited by rollredroll on 9-17-02 3:32P]

Guest UtahPass

Look at most any independent school 's mission statement or purpose statement and you will see that athletics are considered part of the curriculum---a part of the educational process. Some have more of and emphasis, some not, but athletics are part of the educational process.

If you played sports in school, tell us who you learned from- who you remember most---I am sure your experience in athletics, with teammates and coaches, whether positive or negative--taught you a lot.

Of course football , and athletics in general, are going to enter into the decision making process folks go through when they decide how to spend their money and which independent school to send their child to. It's part of the educational process that school has to offer .

[Edited by UtahPass on 9-17-02 8:10P]

Not even close to a good answer. The kids left the private school and enrolled at a public school so they could play football. The ones that were interested in the great education and good environment are still there. If they lived near any good private school, they would have went there instead of the public school if they were good enough to play there. The sports programs at these private schools with good athletic programs are definitly attactive to a lot of good athletes. :)

Pujo...

5 years ago, my family decided not to move to Germantown TN into a neighborhood that was in the several hundred thousand dollar range...I'm not trying to be stuck up, I'm being honest here. It was a beautiful house in a great area, and I was excited to go there....

I was going to go to Houston, and was so excited because I would have so many friends that actually lived near me now (private school kids didnt live near me)...and it meant some great looking girls would be there!

We didn't move there because I remember standing at the porch saying...well its too bad I will never be able to play basketball and football...

There was no chance I could play for a long time at that school...they had bigger stronger athletes, and I didn't know the coaches or the plays etc.

What you just said a couple posts ago, really offends me because it is not like that. You are so offbased that isn't even funny, but rather sad that you would insenuate that. I did go to a private school for religious reasons, educational reasons...and yes ATHLETIC REASONS. I didn't go there to show off and be a big fish in a small pond....I WAS 14 YEARS OLD!!! 14 YEARS OLD, DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT! I will never say kids don't go to those schools for athletics...but when you leave the 1A level you have no argument. If you are going to continue to say things like this in the future, I would like to know, because I'm not going to have a part in that, and I will not add into a discussion that will offend other people, if I was an innocent bystander, I might side with you...but having been directly involved with what is in question, I can tell you that that is not how it always is...and I think that on the whole, you are wrong.

pujo...Can you not see the fact that if football was the reason that these kids who are tranferring was the reason they went to CA, then they could have saved a lot of money and gone to Kenwood in the first place? There was something else besides football that led them to spend money to attend a private school. Football and sports in general is an important role for many high school kids. Just because they want to continue to play football in no way means that`s the reason they went to CA in the first place. They knew that they could play at Kenwood, yet decided to spend thousands of dollars to go to a private school. I would surmise that there was something else about the private school besides football that led to that decision.

Specifically regarding the Clarksville Academy situation, there are no other private schools in the Clarksville area. So if a student wants to play football and goes to Clarkville Academy, the only option is public school or move. I know this fact does not address the overriding issue of their motivation for going to private schools in the first place.

However I feel in this specific case, the kids are caught in the middle.