DRAMALESS DISTRICT 7 AAA

riverdaleman

While there are differences,the big differences between these two schools are RD has more players and LaVergne has too many players not at 100% right now. RD players are reaching their potential while LaVergne is getting well.

Good observation Phargis....no excuses but playing a team that's running on all cylinders vs a team that needs a tuneup, well you saw the outcome. Hopefully, the coaches will make some adjustments to help these girls & the team until they are back close to 100%.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very tough loss for the Lady Wolverines. But now's the chance that they are still THE team - take the loss, then get up and get ready for the next game. Congratulations to the Lady Warriors - they had a phenomenal game!! I heard several people say they thought Riverdale played the best game they could have played and LaVergne played the worst we've played. I did hear someone say that Riverdale hit something like their first 12 3-point shots! It seemed like Riverdale's shots couldn't miss, and LaVergne's couldn't hit. Riverdale was definitely the better team tonight, but that doesn't mean they're going to be the best team next time we face them. Go Lady Wolverines!

Great post & I will add the following to the Lady Wolverines, one loss is not the end of the world, not even two. You lose when you hang your head in defeat & give up. So that's why I was glad to hear the laughter of all you girls who came out tonight & participated in the Wii night. It was a good time. I was glad that you all were able to talk about the loss & realize that yall played bad, really bad but also knew that wasn't who this team is. Sometimes we need a good ole fashion whooping to get us back focus. That also include coaches, the girls can't & shouldn't take all the blame for this loss. I'm also glad this loss came now, because there's another half of district play remaining & you don't have to worry about having that bullseye on your back. You can relax & now play ball.

Kudos to RD, great shooting, I think Jaclissa was unconscious last night, everything she & the rest of the team threw up went in. I think the DNJ stated they shot like 84%, that's an above normal night & shooting like that doesn't happen every game. I hate it had to be on us but once again there's purpose in everything & I believe it was to get everyone @ LV back focused. We will be alright, so don't yall hand everything over to RD just yet, they got the bullseye on them now!!

Let's Go Lady Rines

jazzy, this is a classy response. Every school in this District has had humbling losses at one time or the other. Ask them and they will tell you so. Losses just strengthen character and what is more important for a school to be known for. This was a minor collosion that was going to happen and not a total wreck. Your coach had to prepare your team for the eventuality. You have experienced something every team has already experienced. Nobody is going thru this season, with the schools you are going to have to face, without some adversity. No body is invincable. You will have some more but the true merit of the substance of a team is how it responds, not how things look when things are going good. You've already been there. It is a false sense of security and gives something false that has to be confronted. The world is not at an end to those who have their balloon punctured. Confronting reality and respondiing is the next step and not hanging ones head. Its time now to listen to your coach. Its time now for a learning experience.

well i thought we would get more opinions on the RIVERDALE lavergne game

Why would you think that?

I was wanting to hear some of yalls side of it like you just posted and I appreciate that. Yall have the game in perspective and so do our players while it is a good win and a bad loss it is just one game. no one advanced to state with that win. we shot the ball really good and yall did not. One of our coaches said after the game that it will be nothing like that when they come to our place so everyone know we did not get the real Lavergne.

and when you get down to it the WII night is what they will talk about more than any game they played on the courtand that is what its all about I am glad yall had fun with that

Did not attend the game, saw Blackman vs Siegel game, but how does a team that has one 19 straight games get beat by 33 at home? Jazzy, I must admit that while reading these posts I have never seen anywhere that Riverdale thinks it has it won. I would suggest that both Lavergne and Riverdale hot forget about Blackman. Riverdale has shown us the formula to beat Lavergne.

Did not attend the game, saw Blackman vs Siegel game, but how does a team that has one 19 straight games get beat by 33 at home? Jazzy, I must admit that while reading these posts I have never seen anywhere that Riverdale thinks it has it won. I would suggest that both Lavergne and Riverdale hot forget about Blackman. Riverdale has shown us the formula to beat Lavergne.

84% shooting will kill any team, 19 wins or not. Records don't mean anything especially during district play, it's who is playing the best that particular night, so you always have to be ready with your "A" game. You cannot come out & play a subpar game against a good team & then expect to win.

I didn't say RD think they have won, I said the following:

so don't yall hand everything over to RD just yet, they got the bullseye on them now

Meaning that after that performance & their performance against other teams in the district, it would be easy for folks to crown RD as the potentially best of this district & to say they have the best chance to win it. I also meant that like LV had a bullseye on them, I see RD being in that position now....who's going be the first team to give them their conference loss if any. Ask question before you assume what I meant by my post.

And who said LV or RD has forgot about Blackman, Siegel, Oakland or Smyrna?? Each team is capable of pulling out a win on any given night, even Oakland who you didn't come out & say but crowned as the worst team in this district....

I believe this is your post from 1/16:

"This is my take of District 7AAA girls. There is only one team in this district that I do not consider a truly good team, I will allow each of you decide which team I am talking about. Now for the team that consider to "potentially" to be the best.....Riverdale. Before any of you jump on me let me say that I am not a Riverdale fan. I just think that they have more talent than Blackman, and better coaching than Lavergne."

Hmmm, I wonder who had forgot about Blackman in that post and appeared to crown RD as district champs???? Wasn't Jazzy...lol

As a formula, I don't think so because each team match up with each other differently. What worked for RD, might not work for other teams, so I suggest they do what's best for them & not follow suit what RD did unless they plan on shooting 84% from the floor.

I don't think we have to change anything defensively. Mybe tighten up a few things. Our main issue is our offense. We have much better offensive weapons that we're showing. We hold every team under their ppg average. We also hold ourselves down by not being aggressive enough offensively.

7AAA Second half Schedule

1-26 Siegel/Smyrna @Siegel

1-28 Oakland/Riverdale@Oakland Moved to 28th due to weather

1-29 Lavergne/Blackman@Blackman

2-02 Siegel/Lavergne@Lavergne

Blackman/oakland@oakland

Smyrna/Riverdale@Smyrna

2-05 Siegel/Oakland@Siegel

Lavergne/Smyrna@Smyrna

Blackman/Riverdale@Blackman 6:30

Riverdale Chili supper 5:30@Riverdale

2-09 Siegel/Riverdale@Riverdale

lavergne/oakland@lavergne

Blackman/Smyrna@Blackman

2-12 Siegel/Blackman@Siegel

lavergne/Riverdale@Riverdale

Smyrna/Oakland@oakland

I don't think we have to change anything defensively. Mybe tighten up a few things. Our main issue is our offense. We have much better offensive weapons that we're showing. We hold every team under their ppg average. We also hold ourselves down by not being aggressive enough offensively.

This statistic is evidently being used to emphasize the importance the "D" in winning. And Rightly so. But what it was missing and was missing Friday night was "D" in the transition game. RD's high percentage, after looking how they scored, was a result mostly on points scored on transition. Lavergne simply had a good game plan initially but it fell apart when their post offense didn't work, they couldn't get the ball close, started shooting outside, got in a transition game with RD and couldn't defend it. Very little was and has been written about Barbee's dominence with Myers inside. it was a factor not expected.

The difference with Blackman is their "D" has to do more with Ball Control along with defense and they might be able to play D on transition better. While not commonly acknowledged, it is a hallmark of CH's teams and with rebounding is the reason they are successful. If RD's transition game against Blackman is as good as against Lavergne, Blackman will have a long night. If Blackman plays and is effective in its game, the game will be within 5-8 points, you name the winner. Blackman's game isn't run and gun but this year, with all of the post presence, can play it better. Blackman's pressing defense will also be a factor and will slow RD down. Lavergne waited to late to try it, did not have the well "legs" to make it work and that and rebounding was some of the factors for its defeat. One sentence that explains it, RD controlled to game and LaVergne played catchup all night. Doesn't mean that LaVergne isn't an exceptional team.

While Barbee did play a good game it wasnt only her that helped stop the big girl on the inside she had 2 girls on her almost everytime she touched the ball and in some cases 3 so it wasnt 1 person it was a team effort defensively she really only got a couple of good looks at the basket the rest of the time she had hands in her face or the ball was just denied in there. as far as our shooting goes we shot a lot of 3s and while the 1stQTR we shot 84%it did not stay that way for the game but we still shot the ball well for the night HOWEVER i am sure our girls remember against blackman in an elimination game we only shot 26% so while it was a good quality win friday night the win nor the loss really means a whole lot in the big sceam of things