DRAMALESS DISTRICT 7 AAA

riverdaleman

This is my take of District 7AAA girls. There is only one team in this district that I do not consider a truly good team, I will allow each of you decide which team I am talking about. Now for the team that consider to "potentially" to be the best.....Riverdale. Before any of you jump on me let me say that I am not a Riverdale fan. I just think that they have more talent than Blackman, and better coaching than Lavergne.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, folks! I apologize if I offended anyone - that was NOT my intention. I'm not taking anyone's replies personally - we are all proud of and support our teams. I will say I agree on some of the attendance comments. I'd love to see a larger support base for OUR team personally, to show more support. I think the crowd support is growing, but people still just don't realize that the girls' games are just as (if not more than) exciting as the boys' games until they've been to a few of these.

I wish good luck to all, but obviously, the best of luck to LaVergne. LOL. I think any/all of these teams will need some luck on their side to make it out of the district.

This is my take of District 7AAA girls. There is only one team in this district that I do not consider a truly good team, I will allow each of you decide which team I am talking about. Now for the team that consider to "potentially" to be the best.....Riverdale. Before any of you jump on me let me say that I am not a Riverdale fan. I just think that they have more talent than Blackman, and better coaching than Lavergne.

I'm curious truthandjustice, you say Riverdale has better coaching, how would you coach LaVergne girls and what is Riverdale coach doing so different? I am assuming you have seen both teams play this year.

Not stirring up anything, just a question because I've seen several different posts where people have posted that LaVergne's coaching staff isn't good. And from I also where I read in the DNJ where they quoted Coach Dean after the Blackman game where he stated the win against them was quality since people said that they couldn't coach.

@ Phargis & Blaze....it's all good. This is a public forum and we all have our own opinons on how we see things.

@ Phargis, some of things you said in your post seem "suspect" but after considering things, I really just think you get great enjoyment keeping up with high school sports and being able to use this forum to express your opinions...

@Blaze, thank-you for being "nice" & complimenting the girls. We appreciate it. :blink:

Let me start off jazzy by saying I am not saying that the Riverdale coach is the best one in the district, far from it. I have seen both teams play, and there are many times in which coach Dean does not adjust to what other teams are giving him. I am also not sure that Lavergne is as well conditioned as they should be at this point in the season. With this said I do believe that Lavergen has the best talent of anyone in the district.

TJ, Coach Dean is a great guy but the staff at Riverdale has 3 ex head coaches at AA and AAA schools. By numbers he is out numbered. Players make good coaches. The amazing thing to me is the depth of LaVergne. Not conditioned, maybe so but if you have as many injuries at the school has had and not the full play time, that could be the reason. But what else does anyone bring out, they are undefeated. IMO they won't go thru undefeated nor will they go thru the season at any time at full strength. So conditioning is a relative factor.

As an opinion, the best thing Coach Dean can do better is in oncoming years, investigate ways to reduce the injuries and kinds of injuries he is having. There is likely a reason for the incidence. The reduction likely will not take someone with x and o experience.

Let me start off jazzy by saying I am not saying that the Riverdale coach is the best one in the district, far from it. I have seen both teams play, and there are many times in which coach Dean does not adjust to what other teams are giving him. I am also not sure that Lavergne is as well conditioned as they should be at this point in the season. With this said I do believe that Lavergen has the best talent of anyone in the district.

Ok, like I said just curious..... but I did asked the question how would you coach LaVergne's girls if you were their coach?

I think the girls are in pretty good condition considering he only plays about six players and if that's going to be the case, he probably should utilize him timeouts better to give them some rest. When they played Blackman, Hibdon was running them in & out & at some points, fresh legs will play better & not make as many turnovers as tired legs. My opinion is he should probably utilize his bench more, it really would help the girls especially going down the stretch in a tight game. I don't know if you have played bball or not, but I don't care how well condition you are, you still are going to get tired w/o the proper rest/sub.

@ Phargis,

Most of these girls play ball are year round. The Brimm sisters play volleyball, basketball & softball.

The other girls play AAU ball during the summer, fall & then when the season starts. Now mind you AAU starts in April. There might be a time, that the body just needs some rest if not it will surely let you know.

I understand the AAU situation. Went thru it for 8 years. The body does need rest and IMO needs a rest from basketball a few months of the year to balance wear and tear. It likely might reduce injuries if done correctly. It does help the mind, IMO, and makes life more interesting and interests balanced. A player is not a basketball robot but a person with varied interests in and outside of sports. Thats the way life is. It also allows muscular usage different than those used in one sport and stretching and flexability. That helps the continuous pounding on one set of muscles such as knees, hips and ankles. As you know we usually have a thread on Coacht about Injuries-Female Sports and have found some very good people who discuss the subject. After keeping up with this for some 6 years, I have discovered that there are some schools who hve more injuries than others. The first year a school I watched had 5 players that were on crutches. The second year I watched an asst coach at a school go thru one of the best stretching, flexability, regimes before practice and games I had seen. No injuries. It is impossible to say that is the reason but many injuries says to me it is a legitimate reason for a coach to check the reason.

My last statement concerning Jazzy or PHarg's posts. I remember when coach Burt at Riverdale won the state with 6 players in the rotation. I do not ever remember any time when they appeared fatigued. Of course Burt prepared his players in the offseason with a rigorous strength and conditoning program. Now with this all said, I am not necessarily saying that this is possible to do at Lavergne. As I said before, I think we have 3 tremendous girls teams in District 7AAA. Of course I would agree that Lavergne, Riverdale and Blackman are the top three. I would not bet against any of these three playing in the state tournament.