DRAMALESS DISTRICT 7 AAA

riverdaleman

I don't think we have to change anything defensively. Mybe tighten up a few things. Our main issue is our offense. We have much better offensive weapons that we're showing. We hold every team under their ppg average. We also hold ourselves down by not being aggressive enough offensively.

This statistic is evidently being used to emphasize the importance the "D" in winning. And Rightly so. But what it was missing and was missing Friday night was "D" in the transition game. RD's high percentage, after looking how they scored, was a result mostly on points scored on transition. Lavergne simply had a good game plan initially but it fell apart when their post offense didn't work, they couldn't get the ball close, started shooting outside, got in a transition game with RD and couldn't defend it. Very little was and has been written about Barbee's dominence with Myers inside. it was a factor not expected.

The difference with Blackman is their "D" has to do more with Ball Control along with defense and they might be able to play D on transition better. While not commonly acknowledged, it is a hallmark of CH's teams and with rebounding is the reason they are successful. If RD's transition game against Blackman is as good as against Lavergne, Blackman will have a long night. If Blackman plays and is effective in its game, the game will be within 5-8 points, you name the winner. Blackman's game isn't run and gun but this year, with all of the post presence, can play it better. Blackman's pressing defense will also be a factor and will slow RD down. Lavergne waited to late to try it, did not have the well "legs" to make it work and that and rebounding was some of the factors for its defeat. One sentence that explains it, RD controlled to game and LaVergne played catchup all night. Doesn't mean that LaVergne isn't an exceptional team.

When I said we didn't really need to change anything defensively, I meant us as in "Blackman". Obviously if Riverdale had consistently hurt us in transition, I wouldn't think that. Again we just need to be more aggressive offensively. Barbee had four fouls & we didn't take advantage of that because we weren't aggressive enough.

The rest of the regular season will be even more heated than the first, I think. Now that teams have played each other, we will see which team has made the neccessary adjustments when they meet again.

Get ya popcorn ready! :roflol:

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my post in reference to a thread back in November that ask the question could LV win the gold this year.

No offense intended but from what I've seen so far this year I would be focus on the district first.

I have been attending ladies high school basketball games way before my daughter was born and will continue to attend them long after she has finished playing. Bottom line is I'm a fan. :roflol:

Jazzy, I wasn't downing your team then (as you replied I was) and I'm not now. I was giving an opinion base on the 4 teams from 7aaa that I had seen to that point. It's gonna be a battle to the end good luck to all!!!!

This was my post in reference to a thread back in November that ask the question could LV win the gold this year.

No offense intended but from what I've seen so far this year I would be focus on the district first.

I have been attending ladies high school basketball games way before my daughter was born and will continue to attend them long after she has finished playing. Bottom line is I'm a fan. ;)

Jazzy, I wasn't downing your team then (as you replied I was) and I'm not now. I was giving an opinion base on the 4 teams from 7aaa that I had seen to that point. It's gonna be a battle to the end good luck to all!!!!

That's was back in November....had actually forgotten about this until now. Yep, it will be a battle, already is. Looks like yall might have one as well with Cannon Co.

I don't think we have to change anything defensively. Mybe tighten up a few things. Our main issue is our offense. We have much better offensive weapons that we're showing. We hold every team under their ppg average. We also hold ourselves down by not being aggressive enough offensively.

This statistic is evidently being used to emphasize the importance the "D" in winning. And Rightly so. But what it was missing and was missing Friday night was "D" in the transition game. RD's high percentage, after looking how they scored, was a result mostly on points scored on transition. Lavergne simply had a good game plan initially but it fell apart when their post offense didn't work, they couldn't get the ball close, started shooting outside, got in a transition game with RD and couldn't defend it. Very little was and has been written about Barbee's dominence with Myers inside. it was a factor not expected.

The difference with Blackman is their "D" has to do more with Ball Control along with defense and they might be able to play D on transition better. While not commonly acknowledged, it is a hallmark of CH's teams and with rebounding is the reason they are successful. If RD's transition game against Blackman is as good as against Lavergne, Blackman will have a long night. If Blackman plays and is effective in its game, the game will be within 5-8 points, you name the winner. Blackman's game isn't run and gun but this year, with all of the post presence, can play it better. Blackman's pressing defense will also be a factor and will slow RD down. Lavergne waited to late to try it, did not have the well "legs" to make it work and that and rebounding was some of the factors for its defeat. One sentence that explains it, RD controlled to game and LaVergne played catchup all night. Doesn't mean that LaVergne isn't an exceptional team.

When I said we didn't really need to change anything defensively, I meant us as in "Blackman". Obviously if Riverdale had consistently hurt us in transition, I wouldn't think that. Again we just need to be more aggressive offensively. Barbee had four fouls & we didn't take advantage of that because we weren't aggressive enough.

The rest of the regular season will be even more heated than the first, I think. Now that teams have played each other, we will see which team has made the neccessary adjustments when they meet again.

Get ya popcorn ready! ;)

Bri, i knew your relationship with Blackman and this site is very fortunate to have as many BBMOMS with these schools on this site. It is just a reflection of interest in the game and the general knowledge of the day to day activities and knowledge MOMS put in with their home teams.

My first paragraph only led into a discussion about Blackman and their different approach to the game vs. Lavergne. All schools are very good but approach the game differently due to some personnel. Your comment about the 4 fouls was very interesting. And in the words of BBLady about these posters, keep those posts coming in with words, thunderbirds.

TJ, she is not on here but will answer you I'm sure. I will try to help. I have posted, in detail, what happened. RD was ready to play. LV may not have been. The next game with anybody, I would bet LV will be more than ready. LV is a very good, talented team. No one would have beaten RD that nite.

84% shooting will kill any team, 19 wins or not. Jazzy I think that this was one sentence in your reply to my post. My question to you is, doesn't defense or lack thereof dictate the shooting percentage of an opposing team? Now does this make sense?

*Sigh* ....... At this point since the game is in the past & there is nothing that can be done to change the outcome, what relevance does your question have?

Smyrna traveled to Siegel tonite and had another barn burner but the luckless Bulldogs lost on a last second out of bounds play 46-44. Shanice Cason made the last points. Siegel was hampered by an ankle injury to Connell. Cason led with 17 points. This game starts off the second half District play in 7AAA as a single District game played and was of great interest to fans to see who will keep up with the top three schools in regular season that will effect the tournament seedings.

In non District matchups, Smyrna beat Centenial 67-27 and felt some relief not having to compete in 7AAA on Satirday nite.

Smyrna High School @ Siegel High School

Girls Varsity Basketball

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:30PM

Box Score 1 2 3 4 FINAL

Smyrna High School (16 - 7 - 0) 23 8 8 5 44

Siegel High School (16 - 5 - 0) 9 18 9 10 46

Game Summary

Shanice Cason scored with three seconds remaining to lead Siegel (16-5, 3-3 7-AAA) past Smyrna (16-7, 1-5).

Game Statistics

Opponents A FGA FGM 3PA 3PM FTA FTM TO Blks R S PF TF

Smyrna High School 0 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Siegel High School 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Smyrna High School

Player Points FGs 3pts FTs

5 Kelsey Drayton 4 0 0 0

15 Ty Hampton 10 0 2 0

22 Antoinette Jenkins 6 0 2 0

32 Ashley Kee 2 0 0 0

55 Ashley Lassiter 4 0 0 0

3 Paige Malone 2 0 0 0

10 Toyree Watkins 6 0 1 0

23 Katie Williams 10 0 2 0

Siegel High School

22 Shanice Cason 17 0 0 0

34 Imani Chatman 8 0 1 0

33 Caralisa Connell 2 0 0 0

20 Sarah Donkin 6 0 2 0

5 Macari Harrison 3 0 1 0

32 Shikera Johnson 4 0 0 0

25 Kelsey Naish 6 0 0 0

Home | News | Communities | Entertainment | Sports | Shopping | Moms | Life | Voices & Views | Classifieds | Obituaries | Customer Service | Site Map

Copyright ©2010 Copyright © 2009 The Tennessean. All rights reserved. Use of this site signifies your agreement to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights , updated March 2009.

Girls Varsity Basketball

Monday, January 25, 2010 6:00PM

Box Score 1 2 3 4 FINAL

Smyrna High School (16 - 7 - 0) 20 19 21 7 67

Centennial High School (0 - 17 - 0) 8 7 5 7 27

Game Summary

Game Statistics

Opponents A FGA FGM 3PA 3PM FTA FTM TO Blks R S PF TF

Smyrna High School 0 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Centennial High School 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Smyrna High School

14 Abby Bumbalough 3 0 0 0

50 Brooke Crouch 2 0 0 0

5 Kelsey Drayton 6 0 0 0

15 Ty Hampton 11 0 0 0

32 Ashley Kee 3 0 1 0

55 Ashley Lassiter 6 0 0 0

3 Paige Malone 6 0 0 0

34 LeDaisha Sanders 2 0 0 0

10 Toyree Watkins 11 0 1 0

23 Katie Williams 17 0 5 0

Centennial High School

10 Allyson Baker 13 0 3 0

3 Emma Bottenfield 2 0 0 0

4 Richauna Kidd 2 0 0 0

44 Tiana Lloyd 2 0 0 0

Makenya Marable 4 0 0 0

23 Channing Samiere 4 0 0 0

Home | News | Communities | Entertainment | Sports | Shopping | Moms | Life | Voices & Views | Classifieds

Smyrna traveled to Siegel tonite and had another barn burner but the luckless Bulldogs lost on a last second out of bounds play 46-44. Shanice Cason made the last points. Siegel was hampered by an ankle injury to Connel. This game starts off the second half District play in 7AAA as a single District game played and was of great interest to fans to see who will keep up with the top three schools in regular season that will effect the tournament seedings.

In non District matchups, Oakland beat Centenial 67-42 and felt some relief not having to compete this week in 7AAA.

I went to this game....got there in the 2nd qrt, Smyrna was up 27-12 & I believe the Connell girl was already out. Siegel went on a 15-4 run with the score at halftime, 31-27 in favor of Smyrna. Went back & forth during the 3rd, with Smyrna keeping the lead. Siegel tied the game in the 4th qrt & went ahead by 2. Smyrna came back & tied it up. Siegel then held the ball for the last shot, Coach Bush called a timeout with 18 seconds. Ball was inbounded to Cason, she had a good drive to the basket but her shot came up short. There was a tie up, and Siegel maintain possession. With 3 seconds left on the clock, Siegel called a timeout. Siegel ran their play but the referee had not handed the ball to the player to be inbound, so they had to run it again. Cason went backdoor & was wide open for an easy layup.......great game by Siegel to comeback & get the victory without Connell & Shanice playing with a sore hand. Smyrna played well until the last 3 minutes of this game, maybe tired from the games the had on Sat & Mon, don't know but they let a possible victory slip thru their fingers.