DRAMALESS DISTRICT 7 AAA

riverdaleman

jazzy, now is the time all of these off the wall rules come out of the closet. Sometimes they are the difference in winning and losing a game as close as these games are now being played and for instance, for Smyrna, could have made a difference in a technical in a large amount of games. Important, ask your coach and why weren't the players reminded. He likely did. As with the WC game which was important, you have now 5 other teams that are looking for that little edge. It can make the difference between a W and L. Now is the time that mental errors are important too. Jazzy, an explanation was given. Seems as if this could have been a safety issue. I don't think that would bother you and I believe you would definitely agree with it and no technicals were given, only a warning. Sounds as if you have everything under control. The officials certainly were trying to keep any trouble down. Your coaches were reminded of the rule. You remembered the situation that happened at Wilson Central. Likely the pregame celebration needs to be changed a little and you might be able to suggest that. But you are right, unless it changed for this game, 20 plus games in the season is a little late. But I think you will agree, if that is the rule, it is the rule. Lets go to the next game. I think we all appreciate your remembrance of what happened at WC but if this is the rule, don't know why someone on the coaching staff did not monitor it since it was called on lavergne before a few years back. Post if there is a problem.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jazzy, now is the time all of these off the wall rules come out of the closet. Sometimes they are the difference in winning and losing a game as close as these games are now being played and for instance, for Smyrna, could have made a difference in a technical in a large amount of games. Important, ask your coach and why weren't the players reminded. He likely did. As with the WC game which was important, you have now 5 other teams that are looking for that little edge. It can make the difference between a W and L. Now is the time that mental errors are important too. Jazzy, an explanation was given. Seems as if this could have been a safety issue. I don't think that would bother you and I believe you would definitely agree with it and no technicals were given, only a warning. Sounds as if you have everything under control. The officials certainly were trying to keep any trouble down. Your coaches were reminded of the rule. You remembered the situation that happened at Wilson Central. Likely the pregame celebration needs to be changed a little and you might be able to suggest that. But you are right, unless it changed for this game, 20 plus games in the season is a little late. But I think you will agree, if that is the rule, it is the rule. Lets go to the next game. I think we all appreciate your remembrance of what happened at WC but if this is the rule, don't know why someone on the coaching staff did not monitor it since it was called on lavergne before a few years back. Post if there is a problem.

The tech a year back against WC was given under totally different circumstances, nothing to do with what I discussed earlier. I don't think the girls were doing any pregame celebration, I really think it comes down to an official trying to pull rank. I did check the TSSAA website & notice there's a form that can be completed if something strange happens at a game. I will look into it if something like this happens again.

Oakland High School @ Siegel High School

Girls Varsity Basketball

Friday, February 5, 2010 6:30PM

Box Score 1 2 3 4 FINAL

Oakland High School (9 - 14 - 0) 12 6 9 15 42

Siegel High School (17 - 6 - 0) 17 12 11 11 51

Game Summary

Shanice Cason scored 18 points for Siegel (17-6, 4-4 7-AAA). Monica Barrett hit five 3-pointers and finished with 17 points for Oakland (9-14, 0-8).

Game Statistics

Opponents A FGA FGM 3PA 3PM FTA FTM TO Blks R S PF TF

Oakland High School 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Siegel High School 0 0 0 0 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Oakland High School

Player Points FGs 3pts FTs

11 Monica Barrett 17 0 5 0

1 Ke Ke Cook 9 0 0 0

22 Ellen Riggins 10 0 0 0

15 Samantha Stolze 6 0 0 0

Siegel High School

22 Shanice Cason 18 0 3 0

34 Imani Chatman 10 0 0 0

33 Caralisa Connell 6 0 1 0

20 Sarah Donkin 5 0 1 0

32 Shikera Johnson 6 0 0 0

25 Kelsey Naish 7 0 1 0

Home | News | Communities

La Vergne High School @ Smyrna High School

Girls Varsity Basketball

Friday, February 5, 2010 7:00PM

Box Score 1 2 3 4 FINAL

La Vergne High School (22 - 1 - 0) 10 16 22 14 62

Smyrna High School (16 - 9 - 0) 11 11 16 21 59

Game Summary

Jasmine Dale had a game high 17 points in LaVergne's (22-1,6-1) win over Smyrna (16-9,1-7). Katie Williams put up 15 in the loss.

Game Statistics

La Vergne High School 0 0 0 0 6 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Smyrna High School 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

La Vergne High School

23 Jasmine Brimm 10 0 0 0

5 Missy Brimm 2 0 0 0

33 Jasmine Dale 17 0 3 0

4 Kayla Hunt 10 0 2 0

3 LaQuinta Jefferson 12 0 0 0

34 Stepahnie Myers 6 0 0 0

13 Alex Swope 5 0 1 0

Smyrna High School

15 Ty Hampton 13 0 3 0

22 Antoinette Jenkins 5 0 0 0

32 Ashley Kee 2 0 0 0

55 Ashley Lassiter 7 0 0 0

3 Paige Malone 4 0 0 0

10 Toyree Watkins 13 0 2 0

23 Katie Williams 15 0 3 0

Home | News | Communities | Entertainment | Sports | Shopping | Moms

Riverdale High School @ Blackman High School

Girls Varsity Basketball

Friday, February 5, 2010 6:30PM

Box Score 1 2 3 4 FINAL

Riverdale High School (18 - 2 - 0) 14 12 11 14 51

Blackman High School (16 - 4 - 0) 12 5 8 14 39

Game Summary

Game Statistics

Riverdale High School 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Blackman High School 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Riverdale High School

24 Shacobia Barbee 17 0 1 0

20 Jaclissa Haislip 13 0 0 0

23 Ashley Henry 7 0 1 0

34 Olivia Jones 8 0 0 0

22 Tyisha Petty 6 0 0 0

Blackman High School

20 Shelby Campbell 10 0 0 0

32 Kortnay Cox 6 0 0 0

10 Chelsey Hall 2 0 0 0

0 NeTanya Jackson 9 0 0 0

33 Kelsey Nowlin 6 0 0 0

25 Katie Smith 6 0 0 0

Home | News | Communities | Entertainment | Sports | Shopping | Moms | Life

I wiil give some thoughts on the game tonite and then RD, Blaze, Jazzy and The Lady will give the main thoughts on the games as they saw them.

It is obvious that Kudos this whole year have to be given to the Smyrna High School Team who has lost to the top 3 teams by a total of 5 points. Behind 43-39 after three quarters, they fought and fought and fought and outscored Lavergne in the fourth quarter and lost 62-59 before an almost full house at Smyrna. It was a classic in the encounters of the two schools in the Rutherford "Night of Rivalries #2" which was punctuated by "packed gyms" at the three schools. Jasmine Dale had 17 for lavergne and katie williams had 15 for Smyrna.

Oakland and Siegel had a great matchup and the injured Caviliars came back with one of their post players back and beat Oakland 51-42. In the nite in which will be called the "Dust Game", at the boys game Dust came out of teh stands causing the game to be stopped for 12 minutes for the game to be started again. This was a very high spirited night and indicative of the "Night of Rivalries #2" held at the other two gyms. Cason came thru again with 18 points with 5 3 pointers and Barrett had 17 points.

It was obvious that the game between Riverdale and Blackman was going to be great. the Furnace was rocking and there was an electric atmosphere. Blackman's pep band put on a show the whole game. The game smelled of Chili from the Riverdale Crowd as a huge Chili supper was held before the riverdale Crowd left the School in a cravan and came to Blackman for the game. Instead of the "Night of Rivalries #2" game, Riverdale could have named it the "Chili Bowl" with what was at stake. It was a high stake game with a packed house.

In the end, the game, tho well played was determined by turnovers on transition with Blackman committing 18 and Riverdale having 11. Blackman surprised riverdale by starting their big lineup with 6'3 and 6'2 posts and defensively slowed the game down. In the last half Riverdale continued to press and Barbee's rebounding and scoring and haislip's game was the difference. In the end for Blackman, they strategically played a great defensive game but did not score enough points. Campbell, Jackson and Smith played great games.

This was a great basketball night for 7AAA and as of this writing, the Siegel/Oakland boys game was sitll going on in the second overtime. look at the Scoreboard for the score.

Good game tonight by my LADY WARRIORS WE did shoot the ball a little better tonight and as blackman would close the gap we would hit a shot and extend the lead back out. It was a very physical game lots of elbows being thrown but we were able to respond keep our composure and win the game our defense was very good and we made a lot of easy baskets through our defense. Barbie and Jaclisa played really good games and I am really proud of our 2 freshman Oliva and Ty they may be freshman but they are not playing that way. They make very few mistakes and do a really good job of anticipating. Barbie is all over the place either shooting a three or driving the lane. This is a very fun team to watch it doesnt matter who is in the game there is not much of a drop off from one of the girls to the next so they are able to keep the pressure up the whole game without sacrifcing how we play good game tonight ladies

GO LADY WARRIORS

The game between Blackman and Riverdale went unfortunately about like I expected it too. Blackman has never clicked all year like they did last year. Its still not too late. The chances of winning the district are over but there are still bigger prizes available if you are willing too work hard to continue to improve. As far as the game, Blackman was not able to handle Riverdales press. This caused numerous Blackman turnovers. In my opinion, Blackman was playing too slow and needed to push it a little quicker up the floor against the press and once you break the press, attack the rim. But we have not played that way all year. We need bigger games from Nowlin and Katie Smith who definitely have the talent. Jackson does continue to play well and Shelby needs to find a way to get back to her old self. She may be pressing too much. Blackman played tonight without Tierra Norris who has an ankle injury. She would have made a difference. She is another one that needs to get back to how she was playing in the State tournament last year. I agree Riverdaleman that your freshman are really good but there is a huge dropoff after Barbee and Haislip. Your going to live and die with them. Barbee is a special player. As long as she is there, you will be a really good team but if you lose her tomorrow, you become very beatable.

I have come to accept the fact that there is no "A" officiating crew in district 7aaa. I think there are 2 "D" crews and 1 "F" crew. We had one of the "D" crews tonight. We had the "F" crew last week in the Oakland game. Again they don't favor any team, there just real bad.

Kudos to Riverdale as they were the aggressor tonite. We played tentative. PHargis the lineup change was due to injury. Tiera Norris sprained her ankle against Oakland & is still out.

My thoughts & prayers go out to the riverdale student who had the accident. Apparently she was underwater for 20min.

I have come to accept the fact that there is no "A" officiating crew in district 7aaa. I think there are 2 "D" crews and 1 "F" crew. We had one of the "D" crews tonight. We had the "F" crew last week in the Oakland game. Again they don't favor any team, there just real bad.

I think maybe we had the "F" crew tonight.... Seriously, are there ANY decent refs in this district? Week after week we seem to get guys that are horrible.

Their performance went downhill as the games went on tonight. They started out decent, but as the girls' game went on their calls were not consistent, and you never knew what it was going to be. I think our boys' game may have set a record for the number of "T's" that were called, and they were called on both teams. Some on players, and at least one on a coach/bench against Smyrna. The fouls were so ludicrous Smyrna's scorekeeper was even rolling his eyes cause so many had been called against LaVergne.