10A Hows it looking?

justafan09

I don't know what game YOU guys were at, but I was at the HC - CA game, and what I saw was unbelievable. As to the dunk getting undercut, you DO NOT hang on the rim with boys under you, when you come down you are going to come down on someone. Dummies. The refing was so one sided towards CA, the fouls commited by them and uncalled were a 2 - 1 ratio against HC.The ball being given to CA on out of bounds was laughable. One time even YOUR fans were laughing and pointing towards HC's basket.....they knew it wasn't CA's ball.

No one said we would or could beat CA, but a little respect from the refs would of been nice. I do like the way CA's boys have been taught to talk up the refs, argue the calls, trash talk, and get away with it. I don't know why you people wanna trash talk on here. That man stated his opinion, usually when people react the way yall have means you know he is correct. How about when your guy took his leg and hooked Barnes by the leg and threw him in the floor? Or when Cooksey got slammed in the head twice while going for layups? No calls on either... As a matter of fact, I was outside during half time, and I over heard a group of your fans talking about the shorter ref, laughing and saying they wished they could put him in their pockets and carry him to all their ballgames, that he wasn't calling anything aginst Malcolm!! Pitiful when even your fans acknowledge it.

I have always said the twins were ballplayers. Admire their skills. Still say Martin is the better all around player. Last year they were nice boys who just came to play ball. Don't know anymore. The disrespect shown is terrible.

As to HC injuries, our best 3 point shooter is on the bench with ankle injuries, Monroe is playing ( against drs orders ) on two stretched tendons, which is why he wasn't under the goal with Skelton... he played wing because his ankle can't take the pressure. Cooksey is the better point guard.... that was proven last night. Do you guys even have callable plays? Other than get the ball to Malcolm? Because i never saw any called.

Anyways, just remember... last year yall creamed us in regular season too :thumb:

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Here is what I saw at the game last night. It was the first time I saw either team play this year.

Houston County shot poorly, especially in the first quarter. Score was 25-7 end of 1. Neither team scored in the first 1:40. Cooksey had a few fouls early, but stayed within himself for the rest of game. HC played very aggressive and knew they would have to for it to be a close game. They needed Featherstone badly. Don’t remember HC hitting any 3’s. CA had at least 4 players hit them and Malcolm and Martin hit 2 each.

First few whistles went against CA not for them. The refs were just like any other TSSAA refs.(take it for what its worth). A few so-so calls but nothing blatant on either side. CA did have its fair share of calls against it. 3 lane violations, 2 carrying the ball, Malcolm had 2 fouls by mid 2nd quarter, Dyer also had a few early fouls.

The early dunk by Malcolm he did hang on the rim for a sec, and got undercut by #10. There was no call. Not sure there should have been. #10 also under cut a shooter in the 2nd half from about 8 feet out, probably should have been a call. #10 was also called for a charge when he lowered his shoulder like a fullback. He looked more like a Football player to me. (only one on court with a mouthpiece also).

If you left after the 3rd quarter, then you missed the Guards going at it. Cooksey and Russell spent the first 3 minutes of the 4th quarter battling. Russell took a few by everyone to the basket for easy lay-ins. Cooksey showed very good ball handling and was able to separate and hit several 10-12 foot shots. Didn’t get to see Russell play until the playoffs last year, but Cooksey is a much improved player.

The most improved player on the court was Skelton. His footwork is much better than last year and he can jump. He is not as good as the Smith Bros but will provide his team with some very good play down low.

All starters were out on both sides with 3:30 to play. Score 71-38.

OUTLOOK

Not sure how much of there system has changed with the new coach, but for HC to get better they will have to get better at shooting. Cooksey, Skelton, and Featherstone can’t do it all. They need one more player to step up and start hitting perimeter shots. (Cooksey and Skelton only ones with baskets more than 6 feet from the boards). There defense is also going to have to stiffen up. Giving up 86 to ER and 78 to CA and McEwen may be the best shooting team. HC should still finish in the top 4 teams.

CA has some good shooters but sometimes try to force the ball inside. When they came down, set-up plays, and was patient, there was a high probability of scoring. Defensively, they looked confused in several situations. At times, Cooksey drew 3 defenders out to the perimeter, leaving difficult situations for the other defenders. Especially when Martin or Malcolm was sitting. Don’t know if they will run the district table, but should finish #1.

WHO’S BETTER

POINT GUARDS

I haven’t seen all the point guards in the district, but from what I saw last night, these 2 have to be near the top. Cooksey looks more like a shooting guard playing point out of necessity. Russell was better at feeding the ball around and driving too the basket when he saw fit. Cooksey a better shooter especially when being guarded closely. I give the edge to Cooksey, but only slightly. He is asked to point, shoot, and defend more because he the dominant player on his team. Russell can shoot and defend but hasn’t had too much. He just needs to run the offense and let the big guys score.

MALCOLM OR MARTIN

This is a point of much controversy on the boards, but it appears that people have differing opinions of who is the better player. I will not pick one over the other, but give a little note to what I have seen over the past 4 years. Martin is a better ball handler in the open court, but Malcolm does fine one on one. Malcolm is a better inside player and uses his body wisely. Martin is a better perimeter defender. Malcolm better inside defender. Martin is a better shooter in the 15 to 20 foot range and gets set up for open looks. Malcolm is a better shot blocker and is able to keep separated from the offensive player while blocking. Martin is a better passer. Malcolm is a better dunker.

These 2 compliment each other on the court and saying one is better than the other is like saying Shaq is better than Jordan or Vice versa.

nice post ttower, I agree with most of what you said. Only thing I don't agree with is that HC only has 3 shooters. Monroe was playing out of socket last night, and if he's on post where he belongs he can score. Averaged 20 a game with the JV last year, 11 rebounds a game too. Had varsity points with limited playing time and won the McEwen game for the team with a big rebound at the end and hitting foul shots.

Our boys came out cold, poor shooting by the team hurt us. No, Bridman, we are not as physical a team as your CA... thank God. But thanks for comfirming what I said.

We had poor refs last night, you know it, we know it. Would it affected the outcome with different refs?? No, but it would of been closer and a better game. I love the game, watch high school, middle school, follow the Vols, North Carolina and Kentucky. Love the flow and watching good players. But I don't enjoy watching shoving, hooking legs to trip the other player, shirt grabbing, back riding, crying to the refs, watching a team laugh in the faces of the other team, foul mouths, and obvious poor sportsmanship.

I was very proud last year when a team from 10A made it to state, a local team done good, eh? I listened to the games on the radio, listened to the announcers talk trash about Malcolm, and was upset.

This year, if you make it to state.... regretfully, I won't be listening.

Stop crying because we play physical basketball. If your too soft to play physical than get outta our district.

Your district??? I didn't know you owned this district.. LOL, you have given me several laughs today, I have quite enjoyed your posts!

Also, if I am not mistaken... the Fighting Irish are district champions.

Also, I will tell you this, then I am fini with this thread. I know who bystander is... he knows his stuff...been a ref for years.....is highly respected... and is a CA fan. And no 43, it's not who you think it is.

Innocentbystander..you are a complete joke. If you think that Houston County got anywhere close to getting the shaft in that game. I beleive Malcom smith got a tech for trying to save a ball from going out of bounds after getting fouled. Houston County was at home with their home referees and got beat by 32 points after CA started sitting their starters at the start of the 4th. CA could have kept pouring it on and won by 50 if they had wanted to. If you couldn't tell by the turnovers and easy buckets and feild goal percentage and every other stat that Houston County is no where close to being at Clarksville Academy's level idk what else to say. Getting beat by 32 points and stil saying your better than someone..come on now. And if it wasn't blatantly obvious that Travis russel is the best point guard in the district look at the stats or watch the tape from tonight's game.

Who said they were better than anyone? Malcolm got his t for running his mouth at the ref.... said something that can't be posted on here. As to him getting fouled.... he had did his little thing where he drops his shoulder and rams them, only that time he met someone who rammed back LOL

And you need to go read ttowers post about the point guards.

As to home referees.... what in the world are you talking about?? I only knew one of the refs, by face, not name.

Do you think we get to hand pick the refs? WE were not the ones outside wanting to put a ref in our pockets and carry them around with us LOL Ask around to some of your fans, they will remember me standing there listening, because I answered them. They moved where I couldn' hear their conversation.

First of all Malcolm got flipped for doin a chin up on the rim while 10 from hc was tryin to get the ball an inbound it to get back on offense but no technical called for some odd reason anyone else does it i wonder what would happen...Malcolm got the T for throwin the ball at 42 from hc after the whistle blew...If it was called rite malcolm would have been threw out for his 2nd t but...Cooksey pretty much just got tackled a couple times but no call...There coach still hasnt taught them to clean there mouths up dont know why after what happened last year...

come on now guys, this is rediculous. i love that your passionate about your team but dont let that passion turn into a negative thing. if your a player, use it on the court, turn it into a fire that sparks your heart and hustle. Thats the way it should be, it should be all about heart, desire, hustle, and the love for your teammates. show a level of respect where respect is deserved, and be humble about your success.

Ignorance-the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

most posts on here are people trash talking about someone elses team. they dont know anything about the others teams true character and work ethic. to say anything negative about them would be pure ignorance. so please, for the love of the game, stop and just play.

i will say this though about birdman12s post saying its "their district", theyre mostly right. its a new year houston county, so that banner means nothing right now. thus far, CA has proven that it is their district to take..

This will be my last post. Basketball4me I would like to appologize to you and innocentbystander for my previous post for the disrespect that I showed towards both of you. First thing I'd like to say is yes, ca does play physical but it's not to the extent of fouling and intentionally to rough around another team. And I will agree with you that CA got a majority of the calls, but none were completely obsurd a few

of the fouls that Houston County's fans expected under the basket weren't calls

because a few there was no contact. Refs are going to miss calls and we all know that tssaa doesn't have the best referees in the world. The next thing I wanted to say is about you talking about Malcom and Martin trash talking to the referees. Malcom and Martin are ball players who have heart and take the game seriously and want to win and play good

for their team. Any good ball player knows that you have a little more fire in you if your out there trying, hustling, and trying to do alot for your team. When a play happens they tend to be vocal about it but it's not out of disrespect. The last thing I wanted to say is about how this has gotten out of hand.. I underdstand you being upset about calls and not liking the way a team plays but to bash players on an opposing team..you are an adult and I can tell your intelligent but you know it is not right to sit here and bash two teenagers on the Internet. Again I'd like to appologize for the disrespect I displayed earlier. Good luck to everyone. CA will come to play every game that is placed infront of them

so you better bring your A game..