Big Games in Memphis ... Week 7

kwc

Yeah we dont even get calls when we are at home or when we were playing city schools. When I coached at Craigmont those years we knew we werent going to get a call when we played in the county or at a private school. You should have seen the two years the Chiefs played Christian Brothers. They would just tackle the WR's when they came off the line. It was terrible, but I guess it is like that all over the place cause my buddy at Olive Branch says it is not much better down there.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also did not say you all were making excuses and I guess I was understood in my post by most Millington fans with the exception of one. Hey I think it is great that you all love your team, I still pull for Munford and I will always be a Cougar. The M and M Bowl still trips me out, but hey maybe one of these days Munford can win some. LIke I have always said "wish there was an M and M Bowl during the 97 season", and there is newlywed love for Arlington BECAUSE IT IS A NEW SCHOOL!! 3RD YEAR OF VARSITY FOOTBALL!! I do have to admit that I think there is starting to be a mutual respectful hatred brewing between the schools and I do not see anything wrong with that at all. I wish some people other than Millington and Arlington fans would get on here and chat about their teams. Sorry GoChiefs forgot about you buddy.

I also did not say you all were making excuses and I guess I was understood in my post by most Millington fans with the exception of one. Hey I think it is great that you all love your team, I still pull for Munford and I will always be a Cougar. The M and M Bowl still trips me out, but hey maybe one of these days Munford can win some. LIke I have always said "wish there was an M and M Bowl during the 97 season", and there is newlywed love for Arlington BECAUSE IT IS A NEW SCHOOL!! 3RD YEAR OF VARSITY FOOTBALL!! I do have to admit that I think there is starting to be a mutual respectful hatred brewing between the schools and I do not see anything wrong with that at all. I wish some people other than Millington and Arlington fans would get on here and chat about their teams. Sorry GoChiefs forgot about you buddy.

I don't have a problem chatting about WS, but the conversations do tend to stay towards Millington and Arlington. I'm happy to see Arlington making a move into the winning ways, and hopefully they will see success in the years to come. Millington has been soundly defeated by 3 teams this year, and then has begun to win some games and perhaps they'll be in good shape once the playoffs get here. I don't think the Millington teams of a couple of years ago would have lost as badly, if at all, to MUS, OB, CBHS. But I think they have some new players, and it takes a bit to get them up to speed.

Before I get hammered by the Trojan loyals..... :roflol: WS is suffering from a similar situation. We had significant individuals graduate last year, and have had to make many adjustments as this year has progressed. We aren't finished either. Obviously, our offense seems to be capable of scoring, as they did vs East, and MUS. But our offense has to show up. They were very quiet in our game vs CBHS. Our 1st half vs MUS also showed us with nothing on offense, but they woke up in fine style in the 2nd half.

Our weakness for now is our defense. I think checking out the opponents scoring makes that pretty obvious. We do have Fred Harvey, but instead of him being on the d-line as years past, he's at linebacker. We have a very young d-line and secondary. The coaches are working hard to get the defense working better, each player taking care of his responsibility, and playing consistently. There have been many times, while watching film, that coaches point out to a defensive player how they missed an open field tackle, took a bad angle, lost contain, etc.....mistakes usually a result of being inexperienced and not fully trusting the system.

I see some things in common with Millington, in that we both have a lot of new young men that are working hard to learn their roles on these teams. While the area teams may be a bit weaker than recent years, I don't see them staying that way. Hopefully by playoff time, we'll all be treated to some top notch competitive games that we have grown accustomed to seeing. and hopefully, the best teams from the area are able to go into east and central Tn, and bring home some championships! :popcorneater:

So tell me what happened to Arlingtons lethal offense vs Bolton???? It wasn't raining, there was a huge crowd, and Arlington wins on a horrible pass to their running back( who made a great play) between 3 Bolton guys??? I just wish yall would be a humble 7-0 instead of wanting everyones approval of being a good team... You get alot of credit already for turning a program around from 1-9 to starting out 7-0.... We(Trojans) wasn't asking for noones approval when we were 7-0 for the last two years when we were beating teams like Ridgeway, Collierville, Whitehaven, and East..... And if we had the same schedule as last year we would easily be 7-0.... Remember we took the Centrals and Overtons off our schedule!!! Oh and by the way I seen somebody say that we didn't hurt Cordova between the Tackles or we didn't trap them that good.... Now that's funny!!!!! We couldn't have been watching the same game at all!!!!

Ace, dou, cam, kwc, anyone else......you guys knew this was coming from me at some point..... :popcorneater:

Garcia......I get so tired of trying to explain my point. Everyone that has had anything positive to say about Arlington is simply stating that they are a better team than they are given credit for. Noone ever said that they are world beaters or better than anyone else. I have just been saying that they are a good team (obviously much improved from last year) and there is always one or two people that chime in and say it's because they haven't played anybody. At no point did anyone get on here and "want everyone's approval." I am also not "yall." I am a coach at Craigmont that noticed a good team and expressed that here. At no point did I say anything bad about Millington (that I can recall lol) and just wish you would recognize this. And I think the statement you were referring to about running between the tackles and not trapping well was mine. Did I say that Millington didn't have success between the tackles? No. Did I say you didn't trap them well? No. My statement was that they were decent up the middle and were more vulnerable to the outside run......AGAINST CRAIGMONT. I obviously did not see your game against Cordova as I was busy trying to help my team beat Briarcrest and would not make a comment like that even if I did see your game. Read what I write before you make a statement like that claiming that someone is dogging your team. That's not what I am about. Sorry for the ramble guys.....

ACE5, one thing for sure I think the officiating has been terrible this year,just my thoughts

I agree completely dou. I just hate to see any games where referees influence an outcome. My belief is that they should remain in the background and not bring themselves into the forefront of a game. I think the best games played are the ones that you don't even notice the officials were on the field. Just my 2 cents

Bandit, ok enough is enough first I really do not think Arlington takes anymore grief than anyone else.What is wrong with good friendly banter? I am a TROJAN and have spoken highly of Arlington but everyone has a right to make their points. I do not think it is The Trojan fans having the problem as a matter of fact it is just a HS thread. But I would be careful of Terms like inferioity complex, that can come back on you. Hope it is a big turnout and maybe you guys should not be worrying about us right now we are not your next opponent and we are focused on Bolton. Good luck to you we will welcome you to Millington week 10. :popcorneater:

Dou,

Just to clear things up from my post. You're not one of the people I was referencing in my earlier post. You and MarkH would specifically be the people I was referencing when I included the (not all) in my post. So please don't take offense to that, it was by no means directed at you personally.

Secondly, I'm in no way, shape or form an Arlington fan. I've never seen Arlington or Millington play. It just seems to me that there have been several Millington fans (not you) that generally say, "We've got 3 losses because we played 3 great teams, and Arlington hasn't lost cause they haven't played anyone good yet." This is my unbiased opinion as a reader of this post. It just feels to me like there is some great need to explain a few losses because Millington's been 10-0 the last few years, and now have a few losses, while taking shots at Arlington's schedule because they're now undefeated. Like I said originally, I don't even see anyone poking fun at Millington about the losses, but there are a few people that still feel the need to rip on Arlington. I think everyone on this board would agree most, if not all, teams in Shelby County would have 3 losses against those teams as well.

ACE5, one thing for sure I think the officiating has been terrible this year,just my thoughts

I agree completely dou. I just hate to see any games where referees influence an outcome. My belief is that they should remain in the background and not bring themselves into the forefront of a game. I think the best games played are the ones that you don't even notice the officials were on the field. Just my 2 cents

Go Chiefs,

I think all coaches would agree that officals are typically horrible but the last couple years i have watched this group from a different perspective and i agree they are extremely bad in all aspects. I just cannot firgure what they are watching because they appear to see nothing actually happeninmg throughout the game until it is a crucial period for one team or the other then they make a call.

I saw an official blow a call earlier this season on fumble return for a toucdown, he was overturned by the referee. He then becaume so embarrassed, enraged, or something that whe went to the sideline and began screaming at the top of his lungs at coahces and players he was screaming so loud and so long that most of the stands could hear every word he said, continuing on his hissy fit he litterally made the entire team walk back off the sideline and go stand out on the track 10-15yds from the playing field. "Completely Ridiculious"

I say give them whistles allow them to keep time and order on the field and let the kids play football, these kids are not coached to cheat or break the rules so take the flags from the refs. OK i'm getting off my soapbox, man officials get under my collar.

I had an old high school coach tell me one time that the officials cant beat you, but they can sure hurt you.....I know they can hurt you, thats obvious...but I am starting to see they can beat you if you are playing an evenly matched game.

The bad thing about officials is they are human...they get mad, they have preconceived notions about coaches and teams, they let their emotions control their decisions and what they see sometimes, they will throw "Mercy Flags" to keep a team from what they think is running up the score. I have talked to refs who dont like particular coaches...do you think that ref comes into the game with that completely out of his mind? No way!

A good ref will go out of his way not to let his emotions rule his on-field decisions and flag throwing but I havent seen many of those "good refs" in a while. What can you do?

I don't have a problem chatting about WS, but the conversations do tend to stay towards Millington and Arlington. I'm happy to see Arlington making a move into the winning ways, and hopefully they will see success in the years to come. Millington has been soundly defeated by 3 teams this year, and then has begun to win some games and perhaps they'll be in good shape once the playoffs get here. I don't think the Millington teams of a couple of years ago would have lost as badly, if at all, to MUS, OB, CBHS. But I think they have some new players, and it takes a bit to get them up to speed.

Before I get hammered by the Trojan loyals..... :roflol: WS is suffering from a similar situation. We had significant individuals graduate last year, and have had to make many adjustments as this year has progressed. We aren't finished either. Obviously, our offense seems to be capable of scoring, as they did vs East, and MUS. But our offense has to show up. They were very quiet in our game vs CBHS. Our 1st half vs MUS also showed us with nothing on offense, but they woke up in fine style in the 2nd half.

Our weakness for now is our defense. I think checking out the opponents scoring makes that pretty obvious. We do have Fred Harvey, but instead of him being on the d-line as years past, he's at linebacker. We have a very young d-line and secondary. The coaches are working hard to get the defense working better, each player taking care of his responsibility, and playing consistently. There have been many times, while watching film, that coaches point out to a defensive player how they missed an open field tackle, took a bad angle, lost contain, etc.....mistakes usually a result of being inexperienced and not fully trusting the system.

I see some things in common with Millington, in that we both have a lot of new young men that are working hard to learn their roles on these teams. While the area teams may be a bit weaker than recent years, I don't see them staying that way. Hopefully by playoff time, we'll all be treated to some top notch competitive games that we have grown accustomed to seeing. and hopefully, the best teams from the area are able to go into east and central Tn, and bring home some championships! :popcorneater:

Spartansfan, I agree with a lot of what you said except the Trojans have a lot of returning starters on the team...they are not that new. That has been one of the things that has kept me confused as to why the trojans havent played better than they have at the first of the season. We do have some soph and jr.s playing that have done very well and are very promising for next year and they do make some "rookie" mistakes but we are excited about the talent level coming up for us.

Refs......Hmmmm

What is up with the sideline warnings and the trojans? Are they going for the record? MarkH, Have they not gotten a sideline warning every game this year? At Cordova when the ref called it I nor anyone in the stands could see a player or coach over the line.

Seems the refs have a chip on their shoulder for the trojans.

Refs......Hmmmm

What is up with the sideline warnings and the trojans? Are they going for the record? MarkH, Have they not gotten a sideline warning every game this year? At Cordova when the ref called it I nor anyone in the stands could see a player or coach over the line.

Seems the refs have a chip on their shoulder for the trojans.

There may be some bias to teams but i just think refs get to emotional when coaches argue calls no matter who the coach is. Refs know a coach is going to argue calls before the game starts and if they get emotional and let their emotions get involved that is WRONG. I think the side judges get the worst of it because they are next to coaches and players all night and hear it all, for that very reason they should be the ones with the most control and it seems they are the ones showing the least. Rules changed this year and now coaches are not allowed in what was the coaches box. 3yds from the sideline for everyone is the new rule and coaches just are not used to being that far back. They are use to standing out where players on the field and see and hear their calls and refs are dropping warnings and flags more frequently this year because of this.

Ace5,

Yea I do agree with that statement about there being an M&M in 97.... But luckily I was fortunate enough to play in the very first one in 99!! And I got a question for you since we taking it back a little... Who do you think was a better back Jason Hall or Dernice Wherry???