Middle Tennessee Football

Gambler

I have been a fan of Middle Tennessee Football my entire life. I have noticed recently alot of trends or changes in the state. A few of them are as follows. Seemingly all Williamson county schools are down this year. In the early 2000's 4 and 5 years ago these schools seemed loaded with talent. (I am not attacking any coaches here just asking some questions) I know recently Independence and Ravenwood made state championship trips but apparently the talent is spread thin. Whats going on in Williamson county causing programs to shift up and down. Brentwood is really well coached but seemingly hasnt had the horses as well as Page in the same boat. Centenial has yet to assert itself as a football power. Also Franklin has had some very good years but no one seems to be dominant. In Metro I guess its about the same Hillsboro is down this year and Overton is really good but it appears to still be metro with Maplewood and Pearl Cohn winning alot. Now to Rutherford county schools obviously this is one of the fastest growing areas in the country and state. Riverdale is not the dominator it was but is having an awesome season. Blackman is good this year and improving under a new coach. Smyrna is doing well with a great tailback. Oakland is awesome again after a state championship season. Siegel seems to be improved and doing well. For many years growing up seemingly Riverdale was the only consistently great team in Rutherford county. Smyrna and Lavergne had good seasons but no one else won championships. What is the cause for in my opinion Rutherfords rise in overall talent in football. In many places the more schools the more the talent gets spread out and so everyone remains average. This does not appear to be the case. In the private sector Ensworth seems to be taking the upward hand over BA and MBA but I could be wrong I have only seen the scores. Anyone elses analysis of middle Tennessee football would be greatly appreciated as well as summarizing the direction of Rutherford County schools.

The TSSAA has been all about the "bigger (or more) is better theory", if you look at the evolution of classifications over the past 20 years. It's good - at least from an education, student, and teacher perspective - that schools haven't necessarily followed suit, shunning mega-schools as their cities and communities have grown larger. As such, though, as you said, talent is going to be spread thin as new schools are added to keep enrollments down.

Williamson County would have produced one heck of a team or two in the last decade had schools like Ravenwood, Centennial, and Independence not been formed. The success of the newer schools (in terms of two of those programs making and/or winning a title so early in their existence) is a testament to the athletes that reside in the county yet also underscores the relative futility Williamson County endured for years. Franklin has played football for years (100 maybe?) but never produced a state champion, and Brentwood is still a relatively new program (at least to some), that, despite all of its recent success the last decade or so, has won only 55% of its games over history.

Rutherford County is rather similar, although it does have a former stalwart program (Murfreesboro Central) to its longer-term credit. Oakland and Riverdale have been stronger programs in the playoff era than Franklin and Brentwood, but the county has been missing a strong "new" program, although Blackman looks to throw its hat in the ring this year. The emergence of a relatively, longer-term middling program (Smyrna) in the recent past also reflects the strength and parity of the county as a whole.

All said, I don't think Rutherford County is "down" as much as Williamson, and I don't think either is necessarily down at all (maybe they are at the high point of a low point in a cycle), but I'm wondering if there are any other two counties in the state that have been relatively diluted to the extent these two have over the past decade. Of course, as part of the largest MSA in the state, dilution isn't necessarily surprising.

I find it interesting that between the counties of Williamson and Rutherford there are so many really strong 6A schools. Lets be honest and face the fact in the last 10 years the State Champion has either come from one of these counties or has been the silver ball winner. The only school to win the gold ball not from these two counties is Germantown from West Tn.

This was done while adding new schools to dilute the talent pool in BOTH counties. Granted BOTH counties are in the top 10 fastest growing counties in the NATION.

Murfreesboro for example. Fifteen years ago it was the 12th largest 'town' in the state. Today it is the fifth largest 'CITY' in the state and at the current rate of growth it will pass Chattanooga as the 4th largest city in the state in the next 5 years. Heck how many places can open two new high schools in a 10 year period with BOTH of them starting at the 6A level from day one.

Williamson County is in a similar situation opening schools like Ravenwood and Centenial and Page all within the last 10 years or so. This while maintaining two strong programs of Franklin and Brentwood. Add to this the fact they are getting diluted by having so many good privates there like BA and Ellsworth (sp?).

As a middle Tennessean I admit I am spoiled by having so many really good programs locally to watch week after week. I am also enough of a realist to miss the smaller county programs where simply EVERYBODY closes up and comes to the games and supports THEIR team. While we have numbers, they are not really watching the game but are simply there to be seen at the right place on Friday night.

I also am facing the fact that this season is almost gone and the playoffs are about to begin. The trick this year is just trying to figure them out! dry.gif

When say middle tn remember there are other counties besides williamson and davidson.columbia is tearing

It up this year.lawrence co. Is not that bad also.then you have giles co.which I would put up against any of those

Nashville area or williamson or rutherford county teams.

Do not let a lucky win over LC go to your head. dry.gif

Do you REALLY want to put Columbia up against ANY 6A Rutherford County school? :roflolk:

I seem to remember they were in the same Region as Williamson County last year and did NOT do so well either.

As for Davidson County there was Hillsboro winning and that was it!

I will give you the fact that both Giles and Lawrence counties are doing good and they are to be congratulated for doing so. :thumb:

'Heck how many places can open two new high schools in a 10 year period with BOTH of them starting at the 6A level from day one.'

Williamson County is in a similar situation opening schools like Ravenwood and Centenial and Page all within the last 10 years or so.

Funny you mention that... The Thompson Station/ Spring Hill / Franklin area has boomed since ive moved here 8 years ago and continues to grow with more and more farm land turing into more pricey neighborhoods and shops. Plus another High School and middle school is set to be built in the next 5 years or so in Thompson Station.

I think it has to also deal with a lot and i mean a lot of people (people i mean families with high school kids) moving to Williamson Co. from states like California, Texas or Florida, where football is a religion to most.

Interesting perspectives. OF course Rutherford county does not really have the private schools that Davidson county has I know MTCS is growing but it doesnt pose a real threat to any of the programs at this point. Another question I have is you look at Riverdale and I am a friend of Coach A's and have great respect for him so through this question I am not trying to get any contreversy going. Under Rankin which I am talking more about the time period then him Riverdale was dominant to a level I have not seen any where else in the state of Tennessee. Are the days of having a dominant program over year in and year out? Even private schools now are facing a much tougher road if they are not DII. What are the zoning restrictions like in Rutherford? Everyone always contributed Hillsboro's success to being able to get out of zone athletes. Although Coach A built the program there that Blade inherited and did very well with. Maryville as I understand has open zoning which helps alot. Alcoa is dominant which leads us back to Coach Rankin but they were great before he got their and have gotten better. In west tennessee Milan seems to not be as dominant as they once were. I say all this to say two things as well as to get others opinion on the state of Tennessee football. 1) People in sports do not like parody but dominance. Lets face it fans like to see their teams win and win big at all levels. They dont want to see week in week out close games with near wins. They want to see domination but with all the external factors we are discussing is it possible to develop an untouchable program. 2) What does the future of tennessee high school sports hold as well as sports in general. IS the Z plan really the answer? What will come of the private schools still in the public ranks and what will happen if and when more join the private league. I feel as though Tennessee football is at crossroads and maybe I am wrong. Maybe the truth of the matter is talent goes in cycles and when good coaches get good players they win and when they dont have good players they dont. Any thoughts?????????

I find it interesting that between the counties of Williamson and Rutherford there are so many really strong 6A schools. Lets be honest and face the fact in the last 10 years the State Champion has either come from one of these counties or has been the silver ball winner. The only school to win the gold ball not from these two counties is Germantown from West Tn.

This was done while adding new schools to dilute the talent pool in BOTH counties. Granted BOTH counties are in the top 10 fastest growing counties in the NATION.

Murfreesboro for example. Fifteen years ago it was the 12th largest 'town' in the state. Today it is the fifth largest 'CITY' in the state and at the current rate of growth it will pass Chattanooga as the 4th largest city in the state in the next 5 years. Heck how many places can open two new high schools in a 10 year period with BOTH of them starting at the 6A level from day one.

Williamson County is in a similar situation opening schools like Ravenwood and Centenial and Page all within the last 10 years or so. This while maintaining two strong programs of Franklin and Brentwood. Add to this the fact they are getting diluted by having so many good privates there like BA and Ellsworth (sp?).

As a middle Tennessean I admit I am spoiled by having so many really good programs locally to watch week after week. I am also enough of a realist to miss the smaller county programs where simply EVERYBODY closes up and comes to the games and supports THEIR team. While we have numbers, they are not really watching the game but are simply there to be seen at the right place on Friday night.

I also am facing the fact that this season is almost gone and the playoffs are about to begin. The trick this year is just trying to figure them out! dry.gif

Page is not that new. You must mean Indy.

In my opinion, the reason the Rutherford County schools are so good is that they play such a high level of competition all the time. Even the programs that are not at the top, beat up on people when they go outside the district. If you need evidence just look at Lavergne's recent win over Hendersonville. Riverdale handled the number one team in the state in Farragut. Last year people thought Ooltewah posed a threat and Oakland beat them 35-0. I just feel that these schools are on a different level;plus by playing against one another they continue to improve. All the players are good plus all the teams are coached really well. There is no time for let downs. Each week you have to be up because its a big game.

In my opinion, the reason the Rutherford County schools are so good is that they play such a high level of competition all the time. Even the programs that are not at the top, beat up on people when they go outside the district. If you need evidence just look at Lavergne's recent win over Hendersonville. Riverdale handled the number one team in the state in Farragut. Last year people thought Ooltewah posed a threat and Oakland beat them 35-0. I just feel that these schools are on a different level;plus by playing against one another they continue to improve. All the players are good plus all the teams are coached really well. There is no time for let downs. Each week you have to be up because its a big game.

Very good point. Six 6A schools in one county, 3 of which have been the state champion 5 of the eight years since 2000 alone. With that kind of compitition you HAVE to bring your A game EVERY week.