Mr. Football 4A

MikeWinchell

No doubt a tremendous athlete. But didnt he even miss a few games with injury. Not saying that he didnt deserve it, but the stats didnt compare. Poteete scored somewhere near 45 td's last year and was on a 9-3 team.

He missed 2-3 games last year. I think the stats didn't compare because he was a reciever in a rush-oriented offense. When he did touch the ball he was explosive.

Answer this question. If his last name wasnt Rogers, and didnt have UT attached to it. Would he have won?

Missed 2-3 games and ended the season with mediocre stats, just saying it was kind of a surprise he won but not really when you consider what I mentioned above.

He would've had UT attatched to his name regardless of his brother. It probably didn't hurt him any though.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What classification is Bo Wallace of Giles County in. Is he in 4A? I heard his name linked to LSU somewhere. He stats this year are comparable to Poteete. But the career stats are nowhere close.

Bo is in 4A. His rushing yards aren't quite where Poteete's are.

The only sentence I can come up with that links Bo and LSU is: Bo is not going to LSU.

If you read posts on a Giles County thread you'll hear just about anything. "Certian" people think he is SEC material. He's not, maybe Sun-Belt though.

Tennessean Newspaper Website column on Bo Wallace visiting LSU. Click on link to view.

http://data.tennessean.com/v2/bin/pluck ... essean.com

Also Tennessean Newspaper Website column on Maplewood's James Stone visiting Notre Dame. Click on link to view.

My guess at Top 3 Finalist in 4A

Hunter Poteete - DeKalb County

Bo Wallace - Giles County

James Stone - Maplewood

Tennessean Newspaper Website column on Bo Wallace visiting LSU. Click on link to view.

Also Tennessean Newspaper Website column on Maplewood's James Stone visiting Notre Dame. Click on link to view.

My guess at Top 3 Finalist in 4A

Hunter Poteete - DeKalb County

Bo Wallace - Giles County

James Stone - Maplewood

If you read in that article, Bo only has one offer from an FCS school. LSU isn't going to offer. He's a little more interested in them than they are him.

Didnt think to mention this before when talking about the candidates. James Stone and Hunter Poteete both may be up for Mr. Football awards, but they wont be competing for the same award. Stone would be a candidate for Mr. Football 4A Lineman of the Year, Poteete would be a candidate for Mr. Football 4A Back of the Year.

Rivals has Stone rated the #3 overall prospect in Tennessee, and the #21 Offensive Lineman in the U.S.. I did not know he was rated that high. He is 6'5 297 and has a list of interested D1 schools a mile long. Would have to say he has Mr. Football 4A Lineman of the Year locked up.

Mr. Football 4A front runner has to be DeKalb County QB Hunter Poteete. He was Mr. Football 3A Finalist last year.

2009 Stats through 7 Games

Passing

101 - 182, 1619 yards, 16 TD, 2 INT

Rushing

123 - 623 yards, 6 TD, 5.1 yard avg.

He is the player that i've had at the top of my list.

Numbers down a little compared to last year but still up there. He by far had the best stats last year of the finalists, but the popular name won (Zack Rogers - UT recruit, and brother of UT wide receiver Austin Rogers). Also just being a junior last year probably didnt help when it came down to it.

Going back to our conversation over Zach Rogers getting the nod last year for Mr. Football. I knew it was somewhat of a surprise back when he won it, especially when you compared the stats of the candidates. Here is what it looked like on paper last year. Which player would you choose? :huh:

2008 Mr. Football 3A Finalists

Player A

14 Receptions for 369 yards and 6 TD's. 59 Rushes for 671 yards and 9 TD's. Totals: 1,040 yards and 15 TD's. Team Record: 13-1, lost in semi-finals to Memphis Mitchell

Player B

177-320 for 2,773 passing yards and 37 TD's, 202 rushes for 891 yards and 9 TD's. Totals: 3,664 yards and 46 TD's. Team Record: 9-3, lost in second round of playoffs to White House.

Player C

2,085 yards rushing, 21 TD's. Team Record: 8-4, lost in second round of playoffs to Memphis Mitchell.

Player A (Zach Rogers, David Lipscomb)

Player B (Hunter Poteete, DeKalb County)

Player C (Demario Carter, Memphis Sheffield)

This is definitely not aimed at taking anything away from Zach Rogers, who is an outstanding athlete and football player. Just trying to make a point. There was a race for Mr. Football in another classification that was more lopsided than this one and the winner was not who everyone expected, but it again went to the big name player going to the big D1 school. Again just making a point for conversations sake, what do you think.

Going back to our conversation over Zach Rogers getting the nod last year for Mr. Football. I knew it was somewhat of a surprise back when he won it, especially when you compared the stats of the candidates. Here is what it looked like on paper last year. Which player would you choose? :huh:

2008 Mr. Football 3A Finalists

Player A

14 Receptions for 369 yards and 6 TD's. 59 Rushes for 671 yards and 9 TD's. Totals: 1,040 yards and 15 TD's. Team Record: 13-1, lost in state title game to Memphis Mitchell

Player B

177-320 for 2,773 passing yards and 37 TD's, 202 rushes for 891 yards and 9 TD's. Totals: 3,664 yards and 46 TD's. Team Record: 9-3, lost in second round of playoffs to White House.

Player C

2,085 yards rushing, 21 TD's. Team Record: 8-4, lost in second round of playoffs to eventual state champ Memphis Mitchell.

Player A (Zach Rogers, David Lipscomb)

Player B (Hunter Poteete, DeKalb County)

Player C (Demario Carter, Memphis Sheffield)

This is definitely not aimed at taking anything away from Zach Rogers, who is an outstanding athlete and football player. Just trying to make a point. There was a race for Mr. Football in another classification that was more lopsided than this one and the winner was not who everyone expected, but it again went to the big name player going to the big D1 school. Again just making a point for conversations sake, what do you think.

Look at how effecient he is: almost half of his receptions went for Td's. He scored 9 Td's in 59 carries, Poteete did it in 202. They didn't lose in the title game, they lost in the semi-finals.

No doubt a tremendous athlete. But didnt he even miss a few games with injury. Not saying that he didnt deserve it, but the stats didnt compare. Poteete scored somewhere near 45 td's last year and was on a 9-3 team.

POTEETE -GREAT ATHLETE , GREAT PLAYER NO DOUBT. BUT LAST YEAR I SAID HE WAS ABOUT 5FT9 OR 5 FT 10. SOMEONE ON HERE SAID HE WAS 6 FT OR 6 FT 1. HE MIGHT BE THAT BIG IN BOOTS. I STILL SAY LAST YEAR HE WAS 5 FT 10 AT BEST.

ANYWAY WHO IS RECRUITING HIM? GREAT PLAYER . SHOULD PLAY SOMEWHERE IN COLLEGE AND HAS HE GOTTEN ANY TALLER SINCE LAST YEAR?

If you put both players on the same field Lipscomb would have smashed DeKalb Co. Poteet Great stats against horrible competition. Thats fine support your players, you need to wake up and smell the coffee too . Just to throw this out there Giles CO. would crush DeKalb Co.

Mitchell didnt win the Championship.