rule interpretation

karelin

I was told yesterday that our area will be interpreting a cross wrist tilt like a cradle-only one set of points given. They are saying the top wrestler must release the x-wrist control and only then would he be allowed to go back to it. Robles of Arizona State scored 9 points in his 1/4 match in the NCAA's with Precin, and he never let go of it. He releases the off hand control and then goes to another tilt. IMO this is like saying you only get one set of backpoints with a leg in on x-body ride; you must come out of legs completely before putting them back in- something is wrong here. How could this x-wrist interpretation fly; it's not in the rule book or in any situation in the case book?

I was told yesterday that our area will be interpreting a cross wrist tilt like a cradle-only one set of points given. They are saying the top wrestler must release the x-wrist control and only then would he be allowed to go back to it. Robles of Arizona State scored 9 points in his 1/4 match in the NCAA's with Precin, and he never let go of it. He releases the off hand control and then goes to another tilt. IMO this is like saying you only get one set of backpoints with a leg in on x-body ride; you must come out of legs completely before putting them back in- something is wrong here. How could this x-wrist interpretation fly; it's not in the rule book or in any situation in the case book?
Did you ask the officials about their interpretation and why it is legal @ the NCAA's but not in Chattanooga? I can see how this is going to be a problem if the state of Tennessee calls it one way and all of the other states call it like they did in the 2009 NCAA's. If this happens you will have some ticked off coaching staffs at the McCallie Invitational.

Nothing new about this interpretation. It's just a point of emphasis this year for HS. It has been discussed at the NCAA level in the past. Here is your NFHS support for this ruling:

Point of Emphasis for 2009-10 regarding Near Fall:

Awarding Near-fall Points: Wrestlers are very good at creating quick near-fall situations. Before awarding points to the offensive wrestler, the referee must make certain that the defensive

wrestler has been released to the extent that permits the possibility of self defense. A good example is the cradle. Using this concept, would mean that when the defensive wrestler comes out of criteria in a near-fall situation, the referee would make sure that the hands have been broken and the defensive wrestler has the possibility of self defense before awarding any near-fall points. Another example is tips or tilts. When the defensive wrestler comes out of criteria in a near-fall situation, the referee would make sure that the arm that has been trapped is released and the defensive wrestler has the possibility of self defense before awarding any near-fall points.

Very good points on this topic and something that needs to be clarified. According to this interpretation if the offensive wrestler has a two on one tilt and the bottom man bellies out and then the top man puts a half in while keeping the bar arm with one hand he would not receive back points because the wrist was never released. what if you run a half with a bar arm then let go of the half and run a chicken wing with a bar? Is this no points due to never letting the bar arm go? The point about the leg coming out in the x-body ride before switching from one scoring series to another would also be based on this same inerpretation and therfore should also be ruled as no back points. We are really limiting the offensive mans opportunities to score points this way and creating a boring wrestling match that will only further cause people to drift away from our sport. If you switch from one tilt to a different one even if you have the wrist shouldnt be ruled as no points. There are basic principles in wrestling that should not be deemed (moves, or advantageous) such as wrist control.

Very good points on this topic and something that needs to be clarified. According to this interpretation if the offensive wrestler has a two on one tilt and the bottom man bellies out and then the top man puts a half in while keeping the bar arm with one hand he would not receive back points because the wrist was never released. what if you run a half with a bar arm then let go of the half and run a chicken wing with a bar? Is this no points due to never letting the bar arm go? The point about the leg coming out in the x-body ride before switching from one scoring series to another would also be based on this same inerpretation and therfore should also be ruled as no back points. We are really limiting the offensive mans opportunities to score points this way and creating a boring wrestling match that will only further cause people to drift away from our sport. If you switch from one tilt to a different one even if you have the wrist shouldnt be ruled as no points. There are basic principles in wrestling that should not be deemed (moves, or advantageous) such as wrist control.

I couldn't have said it much better. I mean lets break this down, if the kid on bottom is that susceptible to being turned repeatedly by his opponent then is this interpretation really going to be that beneficial to him? Let the top man work his moves; afterall being on top is an advantage he has earned by gaining control of his opponent. It is the object of the sport, this rule should not be inforced in such a manner that it is allowed to limit the top mans ability to execute his arsenal of moves.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't have said it much better. I mean lets break this down, if the kid on bottom is that susceptible to being turned repeatedly by his opponent then is this interpretation really going to be that beneficial to him? Let the top man work his moves; afterall being on top is an advantage he has earned by gaining control of his opponent. It is the object of the sport, this rule should not be inforced in such a manner that it is allowed to limit the top mans ability to execute his arsenal of moves.

Well regardless of the man on top being allowed to execute his moves the bottom wrestler must come to a defensive position before the top man can score more offensive points. Also you stated the top position is an advantage earned, that is untrue, could be by choice at start of period and also due to ITO. The top man must change off just like the botom man must work.

That is very true, I did not think of it that way. Thank you for your perspective. We have talked about this in the room a couple times already this year and I don't think it is going to be much of an issue as the season progresses. Just something else for the officials to watch for, but I feel as though this was already monitored pretty well.