Tennessean: Ensworth Star May be Next John Henderson

TheBigRedDog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a fine young man it seems.

I want to weigh in early on this to maybe pre-empt (not start) the recruiting debate that always seems to surround this young man. Over the last year, Antonio has said he went to Ensworth for academics and wasn't recruited; his parents have said that; the admissons people have said that; and the coach has said that. TSSAA has recieved no complaint. Let's wish Anotnio well academically, socially, and athletically.

Yes, a fine young man it seems.

I want to weigh in early on this to maybe pre-empt (not start) the recruiting debate that always seems to surround this young man. Over the last year, Antonio has said he went to Ensworth for academics and wasn't recruited; his parents have said that; the admissons people have said that; and the coach has said that. TSSAA has recieved no complaint. Let's wish Anotnio well academically, socially, and athletically.

I guess the Mt. Pleasant principal doesn't see it the same as you do, according to the article...

When I saw the article, my first thought was, "Oh no, here we go again with the public/private fire being rekindled in the newspaper." This young man sounds like a fine person who has a great opportunity. Can the athlete's family afford the tuition at Ensworth? If not, then he must be on financial aid. The obvious question from someone from the public school perspective will be something like this. Would a 5'4", 105 lb young man who ran a 5.5 40 from Mt. Pleasant be granted this same opportunity? I don't know the answer to that one. The question isn't as important due to the Division 1/Division 2 classification. A few of the large DII schools have very deep pockets and can provide facilities and opportunities-both athletic and educational- that small public schools and most private schools can't provide. This story is not as big of a deal today (at least to me) as it would have been 15 years ago. D II exists and those schools have tremendous competition in all areas as they compete against each other. There was an article in a national business magazine last year describing the near "arms race" that is going on among the upper DII type schools. Just look at the facilities-both educational and athletic. Parents who can afford it have all the rights in the world to provide it for their children. As long as they are in their own class, let them have at it. They are turning out great students and great athletes.

While a program like Mt. Pleasant was hurt badly, at least Mt. Pleasant doesn't have to play against him. If Mt. Pleasant really thinks that the small single A privates (and even DII small schools) are playing the same game as the large DII privates, then they have not been on the field with an Ensworth, MBA, BA, MUS,.... It is a whole different level. And it is a level that is bringing national recognition (both educationally and athletically) to Tennessee. Just keep them in DII.

Other than trying to punish the young man why would the principal not sign the form to allow the student/athlete to be eligible last season? If MP does not play in the same division as Ensworth and they are not on MP's regular season schedule it seems as if the principal was just trying to punish a young student/athlete and his family. If the young man had decided to attend Baylor or McCallie (boarding schools) would he not have been eligible without any signature. If I were Ensworth I would pull a Lane Kiffin and purchase a billboard in the center of MP advertising Ensworth and have a picture of this young man on the billboard.

Wolaver's reason for not signing the release was pretty simple and actually quite honorable. The release stated that Antonio was going for academic reasons and Wolaver refused to sign hi =s name to something that he felt was a lie.

I wonder how many kids that Faith Hill would drive to Mt.Pleasant to ask the principal to sign the release for. A 5-5 saxophone player, maybe. :mrgreen:

Ensworth even sent a bus for awhile, to pick him up. 50-mile ride for a math whiz, maybe. :roflol:

The people in Mt. Pleasant understand why he left and would have done the same for their kids if they could. Their kids aren't the next John Henderson, though. They just don't care for outsiders trying to blow smoke up their behinds while passing judgment on them.

Drive down to Mt. Pleasant this weekend and ask around. Bet Antonio is there.

Wolaver's reason for not signing the release was pretty simple and actually quite honorable. The release stated that Antonio was going for academic reasons and Wolaver refused to sign hi =s name to something that he felt was a lie.

I wonder how many kids that Faith Hill would drive to Mt.Pleasant to ask the principal to sign the release for. A 5-5 saxophone player, maybe. :popcorneater:

Ensworth even sent a bus for awhile, to pick him up. 50-mile ride for a math whiz, maybe. :thumb:

The people in Mt. Pleasant understand why he left and would have done the same for their kids if they could. Their kids aren't the next John Henderson, though. They just don't care for outsiders trying to blow smoke up their behinds while passing judgment on them.

So Ensworth isn't academically better than Mt. Pleasant? I'm not totally oblivious to the situation athletics were probably a big reason why Antonio wanted to transfer but a lot of DII schools provide a great education with a great athletic program made up with the State's best coaches and facilities.

Academics is a big reason why Antonio's dad wanted him to attend Ensworth and his Dad is the one the drives Antonio to school and from school after every practice.

I see that you believe that Ensworth only gives financial aid based on athletic performance. That's not true at all, there are many kids that attend Ensworth including saxophone players that are not attending Ensworth because of their athletic resources. They too can take the bus that you think you know about from the Ensworth Lower School to EHS that is available to all students.

I wonder how many kids that Faith Hill would drive to Mt.Pleasant to ask the principal to sign the release for. A 5-5 saxophone player, maybe. :popcorneater:

Ensworth even sent a bus for awhile, to pick him up. 50-mile ride for a math whiz, maybe. :thumb:

So Ensworth isn't academically better than Mt. Pleasant? I'm not totally oblivious to the situation athletics were probably a big reason why Antonio wanted to transfer but a lot of DII schools provide a great education with a great athletic program made up with the State's best coaches and facilities.

Academics is a big reason why Antonio's dad wanted him to attend Ensworth and his Dad is the one the drives Antonio to school and from school after every practice.

I see that you believe that Ensworth only gives financial aid based on athletic performance. That's not true at all, there are many kids that attend Ensworth including saxophone players that are not attending Ensworth because of their athletic resources. They too can take the bus that you think you know about from the Ensworth Lower School to EHS that is available to all students.

Do they teach selective reading at that school of yours? Of course Ensworth academics is better than Mt. Pleasant's. Are you saying you offered him financial aid based on his scholastics? Then what is the problem with him sitting out a year from athletics? Faith Hill and Tim McGraw came to MP to ask them to sign a release based on his academics? :thumb: There are a lot of schools with needy kids closer to Ensworth than MP. Why aren't you busing them in? Could 6-6, 300 have anything to do with it?

Again, everyone knows he is better off at Ensworth. Just don't insult their intelligence, or the intelligence of the other students at Ensworth, by saying the reason he is there is academics.

This entire argument is ridiculous, the better choice academically and athletically was EHS. Richardson would get those offers regardless of which school he attends. Look at James Stone at Maplewood, he has 6 big time offers and is regarded as one of the best players in the State.

I agree. Ridiculous argument. He is definitely better off at Ensworth.

ensworth1.jpg

In the space of two years he has gone from the community buying him clothes to wear to away games to where he is now attending a school where the annual tuition is $19,200 ($76,800 for four years). But can you understand that the principal may not believe that it was for academic reasons?

This conversation validates the reason for the split athletically between schools that give financial aid and those that don't. But, yes, Antonio is better off at Ensworth. Who wouldn't be?