Memorial Stadium Finale DB @ Science Hill

ArtVandalay

Now this is the way to send out a Stadium. Friday night, OCTOBER 23, 2009 will be the final Game for Johson City Science Hill EVER in Memorial Stadium!! I will get the series records and post, but know that they go back to the start of Football in East Tennessee. These teams played 3 times in '26, and Science Hill won the 1st 2, and it was a sister kisser 0-0 in game 3 that year. The only game that the Indians didn't loose that first year of Football in 1926.

The streak, 1994-to present is on the line. Graham Clark lost to the Toppers in 1993, his 1st season of Coaching the Indians.. he has not lost since, throw in a playoff win to boot and the streak stands at 16 in a row. This streak is the longest streak in this storied rivalry's history, by a long way.

I better see a full house on both sides for this Classic Rivalry Game!! Throw out the records, throw out the Playoff implications... IT'S KINGSPORT VS JOHNSON CITY IN MEMORIAL STADIUM, 1 MORE TIME!!

ROLL TRIBE ROLL

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my son played this was the game everybody wanted. didn't matter what the records were. this was what it was all about . don't know what the indian faithfull think of this game, but to the topper fans, players, coaches. the hill could be 0 and 9 and a win over db would make it all worth while. but its been 16 yrs and that gives the edge to the indians....

GO TOPPERS....

I had heard rumors that SH Coach Smith's future is not certain in JC. A win over DB would help him out bigtime. Another loss to the Tribe and he may be updating his Resume.

Are the Hilltoppers planning anything special for this Game? If not, they have missed a chance to do that Stadium Proud.

DB GRAD 1978-1982

Roll Tribe Roll

I had heard rumors that SH Coach Smith's future is not certain in JC. A win over DB would help him out bigtime. Another loss to the Tribe and he may be updating his Resume.

Are the Hilltoppers planning anything special for this Game? If not, they have missed a chance to do that Stadium Proud.

DB GRAD 1978-1982

Roll Tribe Roll

have not heard if anything special is going on other than senior night . but will post if i find out anything. but i agree retire her in style

All-Time Series Numbers:

This is the 86th Meeting, dating to 1921 (not '26). Kingsport has the series edge 58-23-5 Ties.

All-Time Series Record in Johnson City - Dobyns-Bennett leads 26-13-2 Ties. DB has won 7 in a row in JC

Current Win Streak 15. Science Hill won last, in Johnson City in 1994 (14-7)

Does anybody know when Memorial Stadium opened? I am guessing it was built and named after World War I.

Roll Tribe Roll

All-Time Series Numbers:

This is the 86th Meeting, dating to 1921 (not '26). Kingsport has the series edge 58-23-5 Ties.

All-Time Series Record in Johnson City - Dobyns-Bennett leads 26-13-2 Ties. DB has won 7 in a row in JC

Current Win Streak 15. Science Hill won last, in Johnson City in 1994 (14-7)

Does anybody know when Memorial Stadium opened? I am guessing it was built and named after World War I.

Roll Tribe Roll

Established in the mid 1930's, Memorial Stadium was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It was originally operated independently as "Roosevelt Memorial Stadium." The stadium came under the jurisdiction of the Parks and Recreation Department in 1961 and consists of a 6-acre football stadium used primarily for Science Hill High School home football games. It was also used by langston high school and etsu.

Seems like DB never plays well at Memorial Stadium. In fact, the only years that they have play well there that I can remember was in 1990 & 2000. Even the 2000 game was close at half time until Adonis Johnson broke the game open. Science Hill has taken DB's best teams to the final seconds in games over there. This is not one of DB's best teams by any stretch. Smith is on the ropes as far as his job goes. If they let him go with the record he has now he'll be lucky to get a job at Pals. I don't care how many books he's wrote. If he beats DB Friday night then he's got a job at the Hill for another 5 years. Last game to ever be played at Memorial Stadium, end DB's 16 game win streak, the head coach saves his job, make it to the playoffs. They have everything in the world to play for. DB on the other hand has one thing to play for and thats a playoff spot. And im not to sure the "whole" team even cares. I know most of them do, but I don't think all of them do. The "whole" team showed up ready to play at "1" game this year. It will be a very close game if Sensabaugh is on. We'll be lucky to get a win.

You will have to pardon me for being out of the loop..just curious as to why Science Hill is moving away from Memorial Stadium? Are they constructing a new venue on the SHHS campus or tearing down/rebuilding Memorial?

I had a chance to broadcast a game at Memorial last year. It was a great venue to watch a HS game from. Lot of history and mystique feel to the venue, just like seeing a game at Neyland or Notre Dame Stadium...

Good luck to both teams this weekend. Wish I could attend this classic rivalry.