A friend point out my error in my ways

Right now it is

Riverdale 4-0

Blackman 3-1

Oakland 3-1

Smyrna 2-2

Lavergne 0-4

Siegel 0-4

in week 10 Riverdale plays Blackman, Oakland plays Smyrna and Siegel plays Lavergne

What happens if

a) Riverdale beats Blackman

:roflol: Smyrna beats Oakland

then you have

1) Riverdale 5-0

2) Blackman 3-2 or Oakland 3-2 or Smyrna 3-2

3 teams tied for 2 spots!

and each went 1-1 against the others

overall record? Oakland and Smyrna both lost to Ensworth in OT. Blackman didn't play Ensworth

Blackman's out of district games:

(5A) Tullahoma (4-4) W 52-0

Lincoln Co (1-7) W 41-0

(5A) Cane Ridge (0-8) W 48-0

(5A) Station Camp (2-6) W 45-10

Brentwood (7-1)

Blackman played 3 of 5 games against 5A schools - teams have a combined record of 14-26 (.350)

Brentwood game huge!

Oakland's:

Ensworth (7-0) L 20-22 OT

Independence (5-3) W 27-9

Brentwood (7-1) W 27-7

Lincoln Co (1-7) W 52-7

Christian (6-2) Co KY

Oakland has given Brentwood their only loss - Blackman could give Brentwood their second this week.

Teams have combined record of 26-13 (.667)

Smyrna's:

(5A) Beech (6-2) W 21-0

Brentwood (7-1) L 6-27

Centennial (1-7) W 48-0

Ensworth (7-0) L 34-36 OT

Ravenwood (4-4)

Smyrna lost to Brentwood - Played 1 5A team - teams have combined record of 25-14 (.641)

So IF Blackman beats Brentwood, Oakland beats Christian Co and Smyrna beats Ravenwood they finish:

Blackman 5-0 - win over 2-loss Brentwood but overall losing record of opponents

Oakland 4-1 - win over 2-loss Brentwood and a narrow loss to 7-0 Ensworth

Smyrna 3-2 - loss to 2-loss Brentwood and narrow loss to 7-0 Ensworth

So WHO finishes 2nd, 3rd and 4th????

Does this help? Page 2 section E.

http://tssaa.org/Handbook/football.pdf

Exactly - and that is why I am pointing out how 7-6A is going to be a mess!

You have Smyrna rooting for Blackman to beat Brentwood and Riverdale now.

Lets say the above scenario holds true

Blackman finishes 3-2, 8-2

Oakland finishes 3-2, 7-3

Smyrna finishes 3-2, 6-4

Once Blackman is declared second for being 8-2 (3 of those 5 non-district wins against 5A schools) guess who finishes 4th? OAKLAND - why? Because once Blackman finishes second the tie-breaker reverts to step 1, head-to-head, and Smyrna will have beaten Oakland.

I have a hunch people will take note of this and will start to realize it makes more sense to schedule teams you have a better chance of winning the game. If the Z plan stays in place some schools may have real problems scheduling non-district games in a few years....

We had some great out of district games this year but it obviously makes no sense to schedule those kind of games. Much better to load up your schedule with patsies. In the end, that will really hurt TN football.

Riverdale did what they needed to do and is in...I think. Still need to finish this off strong and lock up that #1 seed. If I'm thinking though the scenaios correctly they could still end up a #3 seed. The out of district games next week can still have a huge impact if we come down to tie-breakers.

We could still end up with

Oakland 8-2, 4-1 Oakland gets #1 seed

Riverdale 7-3, 4-1 Riverdale #3 seed

Blackman 8-2, 4-1 Blackman gets #2 seed

First tie-breaker is out and comes down to Oakland and Blackman on 2d tie-breaker. Oakland then gets #1 seed based on head-to-head. Blackman then gets #2 seed based on head-to-head over Riverdale. Riverdale still has a lot on the line the next two weeks. If the beat Cookeville they are at worst a #2 seed. The next two games have huge implications for all three teams...with Smyrna still very much alive. Oakland could end up with the #1 seed or could end up out of the playoffs.

My head hurts.

That second tie-breaker needs to be tweaked to be overall wins in your class (6A) or above. It just promotes scheduling weak teams.

A friend point out my error in my ways

Right now it is

Riverdale 4-0

Blackman 3-1

Oakland 3-1

Smyrna 2-2

Lavergne 0-4

Siegel 0-4

in week 10 Riverdale plays Blackman, Oakland plays Smyrna and Siegel plays Lavergne

What happens if

a) Riverdale beats Blackman

:roflol: Smyrna beats Oakland

then you have

1) Riverdale 5-0

2) Blackman 3-2 or Oakland 3-2 or Smyrna 3-2

3 teams tied for 2 spots!

and each went 1-1 against the others

overall record? Oakland and Smyrna both lost to Ensworth in OT. Blackman didn't play Ensworth

Blackman's out of district games:

(5A) Tullahoma (4-4) W 52-0

Lincoln Co (1-7) W 41-0

(5A) Cane Ridge (0-8) W 48-0

(5A) Station Camp (2-6) W 45-10

Brentwood (7-1)

Blackman played 3 of 5 games against 5A schools - teams have a combined record of 14-26 (.350)

Brentwood game huge!

Oakland's:

Ensworth (7-0) L 20-22 OT

Independence (5-3) W 27-9

Brentwood (7-1) W 27-7

Lincoln Co (1-7) W 52-7

Christian (6-2) Co KY

Oakland has given Brentwood their only loss - Blackman could give Brentwood their second this week.

Teams have combined record of 26-13 (.667)

Smyrna's:

(5A) Beech (6-2) W 21-0

Brentwood (7-1) L 6-27

Centennial (1-7) W 48-0

Ensworth (7-0) L 34-36 OT

Ravenwood (4-4)

Smyrna lost to Brentwood - Played 1 5A team - teams have combined record of 25-14 (.641)

So IF Blackman beats Brentwood, Oakland beats Christian Co and Smyrna beats Ravenwood they finish:

Blackman 5-0 - win over 2-loss Brentwood but overall losing record of opponents

Oakland 4-1 - win over 2-loss Brentwood and a narrow loss to 7-0 Ensworth

Smyrna 3-2 - loss to 2-loss Brentwood and narrow loss to 7-0 Ensworth

So WHO finishes 2nd, 3rd and 4th????

If your scenario plays out it would be Blackman 2nd, Smyrna 3rd, and Oakland 4th. First tiebraker would be total victories. Blackman would have 8, Oakland 7, Smyrna 6. That would decide 2nd place. Then you start all over with Oakland and Smyrna. In this scenario Smyrna has the head-to-head giving them 3rd and Oakland 4th.

Not to fret Oakland fans, if they win this week, they will get a wild card if they finish 4th in the district. 7-3 will almost be guaranteed a wild card spot. This would give District 7 4 teams in the playoffs and the other 28 teams headaches. I think they would rather see a wild card spot be given to a Warren or Bradley County -type team (no offense) instead of an Oakland or Smyrna.

Smyrna's offense has looked like it has found some rythym and just in the nick of time. Should be an interesting 2 weeks, and more importantly week 10.