West Tn vs Central and East Tn in playoffs

Spartansfan

I posted the following on a thread that had some discussions of the credibility of Arlington. They're currently 9-0, but this week was the 1st game vs an opponent with a winning record. One thing led to another, and it seems there's interest in discussing the topic of what West Tn needs to do to compete with Central and East Tn in playoffs, as well as defining what is a "credible" schedule.

There's no question that Central Tn has dominated West Tn in the wins/loss during playoffs. Millington did compete very well vs Indy the year before last....otherwise, I don't think the games have been very close. Personally, I don't believe it's a talent issue. Perhaps other areas have more talented players per team, but West Tn does have plenty of talented and athletic players.

Anyway, here's the original post, so anyone who cares to join in....please do! :roflol:

A bit of history....some of the local public schools, such as Millington, White Station, Whitehaven....have had several good years. Making it into the playoffs, and everyone thinking they were serious contenders to bring home the state trophy.

It seems Whitehaven has found ways to self destruct each year in the playoffs. Millington and White Station have made it to semi-final games where we ran into the Nashville rep, and lost. As a result, these teams have taken efforts to schedule tougher games locally. You'll notice games scheduled against CBHS, MUS, Olive Branch (Millington), and you can also see how MUS has gone into MS to play tough teams there. This is all done to elevate their opportunity to play at a higher level, so when playoff time comes around, perhaps we (West Tn team) can find a way to win a championship.

We can all see WS's losses to CBHS and MUS, Millington has 3 losses to their tougher opponents. Whitehaven has one blemish so far. Yet when we get into our regular games in our divisions/regions...we do pretty well. But based upon our performance against those other teams, it looks like whoever meets a Nashville area team will probably lose. Hopefully, after some time with tougher schedules, a West Tn team will find a way to get past Nashville.

This relates to Arlington in a couple of ways. Arlington has just discovered how to win. Once they get to playing tougher teams, the scores will get closer, and injuries likely to increase. You'll probably see an occassional loss pop up on your record. You'll find out how the Overton's of this area don't prepare your team to face the MUS's or CBHS's of this area, nor will you be prepared for the Nashville area teams.

So you will want to get a tougher schedule to measure yourself against....to see where you need to improve. Everyones ultimate goal is to win state. That doesn't mean you aren't having a wonderful season. But if you don't win state, your season ends on a loss, and you'll wish you had won that game too. I'm happy with the past 3 seasons at WS, proud of the players and coaches. But I do wish we could see success when it comes to a semi-final game...and a championship game.

So enjoy what you've got going, but understand the voices you hear on coacht are basically letting you know that Arlington has plenty to feel good about, but the journey isn't finished. There's rough spots ahead, and your schedule will reflect your ability to handle those spots.

Last item....IF Arlington was to win its way into a semi-final game this season (or beyond), you will find all of us jumping on the bandwagon pulling for the team representing the West. We all know this is about the kids and we're all good sports about the thing.

Sorry for the ramble.....but I do that sometimes.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My little take on it is the West Tn teams are not bad, just NOT consistant. There are exceptions like Milan though. They are good AND consistant year after year. Thusly they get the RESPECT they have earned.

There is also Germantown who not only came east and won, they beat a quality opponent doing so.

Otherwise it seems like they get to the semi's and then choke when they have to play Middle Tn teams that face tough compitition week after week.

Unfortunately the new playoff format does not promote playing tough teams to get better during the regular season. This not only affects West Tn but East and Middle also.

Spartansfan, You are correct I believe that is why Schools like Millington, Whitehaven and Whitestation took on the thougher Schedules this year. That and the fact that The Collierville of the world no longer want to play us.

We may not see the positive results until down the road but I think we need to continue in order to get better. If Millington for example had played last years Schedule the record would be 8 and 0, but would we be better for it. Time will tell.

"LET'S GO TROJANS"

Spartansfan, You are correct I believe that is why Schools like Millington, Whitehaven and Whitestation took on the thougher Schedules this year. That and the fact that The Collierville of the world no longer want to play us.

We may not see the positive results until down the road but I think we need to continue in order to get better. If Millington for example had played last years Schedule the record would be 8 and 0, but would we be better for it. Time will tell.

"LET'S GO TROJANS"

If you will just look at the "strength of schedule" posted yesterday here on Coach T and look at the sos for the west and east Tn teams you will find why some schools are given the respect they have.

Personally I still do not believe DB plays the toughest schedule in the state for 6A though!

The east west central discussion is not one worht haveing, Lets take Alcoa and Maryville out of the discussion, Yes they are in the east however whwen they are the dominant team year after year, we do not get a cross section of the east, the proper question may be why are there not any dominant teams like Maryville or alcoa in the west. What I am saying is this, you could take Melrose, Whitehaven, White Station, Henry County, Milan, Mitchell,Camden, Liberty this season, and they would be successful playing a schedule against teams in the east, or central. They may not be succesful in one game contests with the best team from the east, but that in no way means that the east is stronger than the west, in my perspective it means, ALcoa and Maryville has been in a league of their own for a few years.

Teams from middle and east Tennessee are more disciplined and fundamentally sound than teams from west Tennessee.

I would not clump all West Tn teams into that one group. I do believe that the middle part of he state has an advantage when it comes to attracting and keeping good quality of coachs. I also agree that you are where you are and you really can't control it.

FIGHT TROJANS FIGHT

NEVER GIVE UP

Teams from middle and east Tennessee are more disciplined and fundamentally sound than teams from west Tennessee.

What formula do you use to form that opinion?

Advisor ... I know you were being facetious ... but when you read a comment like that ... you have to wonder don't you? All I can do is shake my head and continue to read comments.

There is nothing wrong with West Tn football. Look at the past champions list. We had our share, but we only represent 1/3 of the state. You are comparing us to 2/3 and the their much, much bigger populous. Really if look at it 80% of the titles are won by repeaters either consecutive or in a few year span. Maybe the real question is: What does WTN have to do to compete with Alcoa, Riverdale, etc...?

And as far as the:

"FootballIsMyLife wrote:

Teams from middle and east Tennessee are more disciplined and fundamentally sound than teams from west Tennessee."

That's absurd. Period.

What formula do you use to form that opinion?

To be clear, I'm referring to public schools. The private schools in west Tennessee do very well every year.

I formed that opinion after watching and coaching football for over a decade. I've watched as much middle Tennessee football as west Tennessee. I've seen teams from east Tennessee in state championship games for the past 12 years. Teams from middle and east Tennessee do have better coaches. Teams from middle and east Tennessee do the little things better. How come Melrose always loses the state championship game by an extra point? How come Millington loses to a Nashville area team in the fourth round of the playoffs every year? How come Maryville seemingly wins the state championship game by way of a trick play or two almost every year?

Need I go on?