Arbys Classic

JIMA6578

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GA gets rebound then rushes down misses shot @ buzzer.

Game over!

---------------------------------

Final:

Memphis Melrose 55 ---- Greater Atlanta 51

-----------------------------------------

Near miraculous comeback by Greater Atlanta, in that 4th Qtr!

Melrose MUST learn to keep the foot on the gas pedal, when leading big, and COMPLETE the entire game!

Just caught to end of the game...COngrats Melrose. They might be tampering with an undefeated season...

I agree with you, Terop. Melrose will definitely flirt with an undefeated season!

I think that Melrose will have a tougher time completing such a run, however, than did Memphis Hamilton a few years ago. Two reasons:

1) 4 to 5 State Championship caliber Memphis teams (WS, Southwind, Central, Gtwn, RW).

-- I don't think that Hamilton had that many to contend with!

2) Hamilton was a MUCH better rebounding team than Melrose, IMO.

-- As a matter of fact, Hamilton flat-out dominated teams on the glass-- 9 1/2 times out of 10!

-------------------------------------

So, as is usual for a top Memphis team, Melrose's BIGGEST challenge (no disrespect to their other opponents) will be....GETTING OUT OF MEMPHIS, come playoff time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can Central challenge Melrose this year? Central has played so many out-of-state teams it is hard to tell how good they are.

YES!

While I have not seen Central play this year, they obviously returned many key guys (if not the majority....looking back at the names) from last year's team, a fundamentally-sound team that had Melrose's number--2 times, last year! Central has the same head coach. He most likely has the same philosophy. I suspect that Central still has some good athletes and strong point-guard play (maybe same PG)......Thus, I strongly expect Central to push Melrose to the limit again this year.

Central's methodical, slow-down, lull-you-to-sleep-and-frustrate-the-heck-out-of-you, Princeton-type STLYE of play (without as many back-door cuts) simply causes problems for teams like Melrose, who get a bunch of their points in transition--their comfort zone.

Melrose's Arby's experience, especially versus those slow-down teams, will undoubtedly provide Melrose with a bit of an edge and added confidence versus Central. Melrose has more experience, and has demonstrated improved versatility this season versus last season. That's an excellent sign for them. Nevertheless, I'll fully expect Central to go into Melrose's gym on Friday, January 8th and severely test Melrose's mettle.

Melrose vs Central should should provide plenty of belated New Year's fireworks, and a loud SELLOUT crowd!

------------------------------------------

Will Central actually defeat Melrose?

That will be a much tougher feat this year, for Central.....and EVERYBODY else on Melrose's schedule, IMO.