Franklin Rebels vs. Brentwood Bruins

jrpfhs21

Well, what's with all the nice talk? This is The Franklin Rebels vs the other team. GO REBELS! Time to whip up on some boys in light blue and gold. After Alex and Kee get the rushing attack going, watch for 'Kweeve' and Elrod to light up the bruins.

WOW, slow down now... Show a little bit of respect for what Brentwood has done thus far this season. Lets take a quick look at who each team has played up to this point.

BRENTWOOD-

Smryna/ Oakland/ Independence/ Gallatin/ Blackman/ and now Franklin

FRANKLIN-

Ooltewah/ Independence/ and now Brentwood

Brentwood has been through the fire (having faced Rutherford's strongest), meanwhile Franklin has been running around Kentucky and Memphis grabbing a game-here-and-a-game-here. So before anybody from Franklin should even open up their mouths they need to go back and think about what Ooltewah did to them. My money is on Brentwood, because this game comes down to work & determination, and I think Brentwood has trained those areas more than the kids from Franklin.

But at the end of the day, this game comes down to two tangible facts;

1) Can Franklin slow down Mr. Coffey?

2) Can Franklin get its own running game up-and-running?

Good post, although a little too much negative toward the REBELS! :thumb:

Can Franklin slow down Mr. Coffey? I do not think so. Can Franklin get its running game running? The better question would be will they try? This should be a typical FHS vs. BHS game. It will go down to the wire. I have been trying to look at the stats all week (from the tennessean) and look at what this might say. Brentwood has scored more points, but have given up more than our rebels. Brentwood's Coffey leads all rushers in the district, but has carried the ball 181 times. Franklin's leading rusher has carried the ball 75 times. Brentwood will run Coffey and run him often. As we know from reading on here, Franklin is about balance. Even with so much running Brentwood's passing offense has thrown the ball for 350 more yards then Franklin. It seems like the "balance" that we all talk about is closer to Brentwood then it is to Franklin. This being said, I see Brentwood's QB having a big night (I hope not). I think the FHS coaches will say that Coffey will not beat them and will have everyone keying on him. This will let the QB throw and throw alot. On the other hand, who will BHS key on vs. the balanced offense of the Rebels. Well, since Ford average's 9 yards a carry (stats from tennessean) then I guess they will key on him and I hope this allows Keylo to have a big night. This is the balance that we need. Ford/Lee needs to be the focus of the balance and not the passing balance. Besides with the weather the way it may be, the run may be needed. ADVANTAGE Brentwood. I hate to say it, but the cards seem to be in Brentwood's favor. Prove it wrong Rebels and go get a victory!!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Brentwood's game to lose and give away. Brentwood has given Franklin its fair share of frustrations over the past years with a team built around Running-game & Defense & Mistake-free football. But this year has given BHS the ability to move the ball through the air. Which is trouble for a lot of teams (Franklin being one of those teams). Franklin has not faced an athletic offensive team this year that is capable of putting up points... Basically I'm going to come out and say it, "Franklin's defense has not been tested, and is un-deserving of its laud this year". Franklin will not be able to stop Coffey on the ground, and stop Brentwood through the air at the same time. Brentwood is just going to have to select how they will beat Franklin. On top of all this, I have my serious doubts about FHS showing up for the big game (it has been a problem of theirs for awhile now).

Have no fear board enthusiasts, the ShotGunner is here. I apologize for my absence, as I know that so many of you have missed me, but duty called and I have been on the road too much lately. On to this week's match up....

This is what high school football is all about people. An old school rivalry, all the cards on the table, and the one game decides the district championship with big playoff implications. What else could you ask for in a game???

It sounds as if there is some skepticizim amongst the Rebel faithful and their offense. I love how the trifecta has pointed this out all season, however no one will admit that we have been professing the truth this whole time. :thumb: Anyways, fbforme points out a very good point. Coffey does have lots more yards, but he also has over double the amount of carries. Seems like Brentwood realizes when they have something that works to utilize it. I still can't believe that Ford and Lee do not get the handoff more often, but maybe Clayton and his amazing offensive staff know something that we do not?? Are the vaunted pair pieces of delicate china? Can they not handle the amount of carries that Coffey can? Can they not produce for the whole game? I don't know, but if their running is typical from what I saw at Indy, seems like FHS should be 85% run - 15% pass. I think I heard stats that they were actually 50 - 50 in an earlier game this year. That is not balance folks, that is ignorance. Now you take the two pieces of china and line them up against a pissed off Brentwood Defense. Advantage Bruins

Offensivly for Brentwood, their offense is primarily run and that will wear down this undersized Rebel D. You're probably right, they probably are keying on Coffey (and can you blame them), but which one will give out first. I wouldn't worry too much about the pass, this is no longer the Jack Daniels era of Brentwood. They will utilize it to help open the run game, but they will not rely on it or panic and resort to it (as the beloved Clayton does). But if they do, all they have to do is throw the ball up and let a reciever go up for it. I've said it before, just put someone out there that is over 6' tall and you're fine. They might not even have to jump to get over the corners.

I would not expect tons of points from the Brentwood side, but rather just enough, and I bet that is their goal. It is hard for the Franklin defense to stop someone when they are on the field for 3/4 of the entire game. So a worn out D and a sputtering Franklin offense gives the advantage to Brentwood.

Bruins - 21 - Rebels 10

Well, what's with all the nice talk? This is The Franklin Rebels vs the other team. GO REBELS! Time to whip up on some boys in light blue and gold. After Alex and Kee get the rushing attack going, watch for 'Kweeve' and Elrod to light up the bruins.

WOW, slow down now... Show a little bit of respect for what Brentwood has done thus far this season. Lets take a quick look at who each team has played up to this point.

BRENTWOOD-

Smryna/ Oakland/ Independence/ Gallatin/ Blackman/ and now Franklin

FRANKLIN-

Ooltewah/ Independence/ and now Brentwood

Brentwood has been through the fire (having faced Rutherford's strongest), meanwhile Franklin has been running around Kentucky and Memphis grabbing a game-here-and-a-game-here. So before anybody from Franklin should even open up their mouths they need to go back and think about what Ooltewah did to them. My money is on Brentwood, because this game comes down to work & determination, and I think Brentwood has trained those areas more than the kids from Franklin.

But at the end of the day, this game comes down to two tangible facts;

1) Can Franklin slow down Mr. Coffey?

2) Can Franklin get its own running game up-and-running?

Team A

5 victories over teams winning 50% of their games.

51 victories by the teams they have played

37 defeats by opponents

35 victories for defeated opponents

Team B

3 victories over teams winning 50% of their games.

51 victories by the teams they have played

39 defeats by opponents

28 victories for defeated opponents

Which one has the best resume?

I'll take team A.

Franklin has not faced an athletic offensive team this year that is capable of putting up points... Basically I'm going to come out and say it, "Franklin's defense has not been tested, and is un-deserving of its laud this year".

Maybe my memory is deceiving me, but I am almost psitive Franklin played Ooltewah earlier this year, who happens to be #1 in the state and undefeated right now. If they are ranked that high, I would bet they have a pretty "athletic offense", and that Franklin's d was "tested" against them, just my opinion...