2 Dyersburg v Creek Wood

3 Lake Co. v. USJ

4 Hardin Co. v. East Hickman

5 Hardin Co. v. Wayne Co.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westview did a pretty awesome job of putting this on and matching teams up evenly with who they thought would be a good matchup for the other team. There were tons of teams there as well. There were also some big time prospects that played yesterday as well.

I'll start out with Single A. Lake Co. looked very solid yesterday and used their full court pressure to get most of their points off of turnovers. They lost 1 out of 3 games yesterday and that was to AA Covington by 2 or 3 points. Perry Co. didn't look bad at all and neither did Wayne Co. Wayne Co. has a Junior forward that is great! I believe her name is Carly or something like that. She's a great ball player and will be getting some looks from some great colleges over the next 2 years. I watched Collinwood for just a few minutes and they didn't look nearly as good as the 3 I have mentioned. Madison is young and has a Freshman that is going to be another Morgan Faulkner by her Senior year. I'm not sure on the girls name, but she's a great player as a Freshman.

In Double A, the best team there was Westview of course. They beat almost every team they played fairly easy with the exception of McNairy Central. McNairy played very strong defense and that kept them in the game with Westview. McNairy is well coached, well disciplined, and a scrappy group of players. They could surprise teams this year if they chose to overlook 'em. Milan is going to struggle big time this year. I was confused as to why they had Perica Glenn out on the perimeter shooting 3's in 2 of the games I saw them play in. She has been dominant in the post over these past couple of years and will most likely play the post position at UTM. Obion Co. is definately better this year than they were last year in my opinion. Fussell went down at the very end of the first game with a high ankle sprain. In the second game they played without her and you really couldn't tell that much of a difference. They played well with and without her. They are definately in the running with Westview and GC this year!

In Triple A, Liberty Tech impressed me a bit. They have 2 post players that will wind up D1. From what I hear, the one post player is already receiving big time interest as she enters into her Senior year. The other post player is only like a Sophomore or Junior. They were both strong on the boards and scored fairly easy against the smaller post players. I'm curious as to how they'll do against someone close to their size.

In Triple A, Liberty Tech impressed me a bit. They have 2 post players that will wind up D1. From what I hear, the one post player is already receiving big time interest as she enters into her Senior year. The other post player is only like a Sophomore or Junior. They were both strong on the boards and scored fairly easy against the smaller post players. I'm curious as to how they'll do against someone close to their size.

I could be wrong, but I believe Miller, the 6-2 Senior Forward for Liberty, has already committed to Southern Illinois. Jones, the 6-3 Junior Center for Liberty, is receiving some big time interest. Both players are uber-athletic with tremendous size and length. Both can also step out and knock down the outside jumper and were two of the most versatile players in the Elam Center yesterday.

I was there yesterday as well, and will give a rundown later on tonight on some of the Class A teams. I love the fact that Westview held this at the Elam Center. It made it easy for fans like me to see everyone, and it made for a great day of basketball.

Some results from Westview yesterday:

Gleason over Collinwood by 25+

McNairy Central over Camden by 20+

Madison Academic over South Fulton

Wayne County over Harpeth

Greenfield over TCA by 12 - 14

Covington over Lake County by 2

Perry County over Harpeth by 6 - 8

East Hickman over Halls by 1

Covington over McKenzie

Perry County over Rossview

Dyersburg over Union City

Humboldt over Liberty by 1 or 2

Dyersburg over Rossview by 10+

Wayne County over Humboldt by 10+

Westview over McNairy Central

Westview over Harpeth by 15+

Westview over Calloway County, KY

Obion County over Peabody by 15+

Obion County over Creek Wood

Lake County over USJ

Hardin County over East Hickman

Class A Notes from Westview

Lake County, Wayne County, and Perry County were the most impressive Class A teams yesterday. Greenfield, Middleton, and Humboldt also had good showings.

I saw the majority of Lake County's game against Covington in which they lost by two points. Lake County loves to go, go, go, as evidenced by their constant full court pressure and fast-paced transition offense. T.T. Flowers was the do-it-all player for Lake County all day long. Every time they needed a bucket, she gave them one. If they got an offensive rebound, you can bet it was Flowers. Carnation Hart played well too, and she and Flowers make a tough duo to handle. Hart continues to impress with her ability to score from both the outside as well as in and around the goal. In fact, there may not be any position on the floor from which she cannot score. Her and Flowers are almost instant offense for Lake County, and when Lake County isn't turning the ball over with their super-fast, borderline out-of-control play, you can bet that those two are probably putting the ball in the basket. Pearson and Mendez played fair, but you can definitely tell that Pearson is a freshman with some of the mistakes she makes, including the costly turnover late in the game against Covington. The thing that I did notice was that when the game was on the line with 6.5 seconds left and Lake County had the ball down two to Covington, who did the give the ball to--Flowers. You could tell she wanted the ball and she flew by all defenders and got all the way to the basket to put up a right handed layup that did not go in. I am still not entirely sure that she was not fouled on that last play. Either way, it was easy to see that this is Flowers’s team, and her teammates seem to have no problem with that, which is a great sign for Lake County.

Wayne County opened the day by defeating Humboldt rather easily. Humboldt thrives on pushing around their opponent and dominating the glass; they did neither of those things against Wayne County. Carly Daniel, the 6-2 Junior Forward, looked extremely solid both with her back to the basket and when facing up (yes, she can shoot the 3 with some consistency). It is my opinion that she is already as good as her sister (a current Belmont player) was when she graduated high school. More than likely, she will play Division I basketball someday. Also, you cannot mention Wayne County without including 5-8 Sophomore PG Kelsey Risner. Her basketball IQ is extremely high, and Wayne County would not be near the team that they are if she was not at the helm of their offense. She makes them go, and if needed, she can take over the scoring load for this team from the point guard position. If she continues to improve, you could potentially being seeing a point guard-post combo between her and Daniel that has not been seen in Wayne County since the Davenport-York combo that dominated teams back in the early 2000s. Also of note, Samantha Bell, the 6-0 replacement post for the departing Jessica Hammonds to graduation, appears to have improved significantly since last season. She and Daniel are a very tough tandem for Class A teams to handle inside with their size and skill.

Perry County looked like the veteran, experienced team that one would suspect them of being after returning all starters from a year ago. They have three major offensive threats, beginning with Junior guard Alycia Simmons, who on two different occasions yesterday knocked down halftime buzzer-beating shots. She appears to be physically stronger and quicker than she was a year ago, which allowed her to even mix it up inside with teams like Rossview and Harpeth. Her ability to score at all three phases of the offensive game (3-point range, off the dribble/midrange shots, and attacking the basket) coupled with her ability to penetrate and dish off to open teammates made her a very tough player to guard in the Elam Center yesterday. Another individual to keep an eye on for Perry County is 5-10 Junior F/G Kandra Starkey. In the couple of times I saw Perry County last season, I can only remember Starkey playing on the perimeter. At Westview yesterday, she was mixing it up inside, and holding her own against larger, more athletic posts. Her play inside could be the "X-Factor” for Perry County this season. Lastly, the play of Senior PG Brook Warren was solid as usual. She leads this team with tremendous composure and intelligence. She seems to understand her teammate’s strengths and weaknesses, and she sets her teammates up in the best positions for them to succeed, which is ultimately the sign of a great leader and point guard. As a side note, Perry County did have their starting center go down with either a knee or ankle injury in their first game, and was carried out of the building. As far as I know, she never returned.

As far as teams from other classifications, Martin Westview, Obion County, McNairy Central, and Liberty Tech Magnet are looked very good. Westview controlled all three of their games, and the only one that was ever in question was their game with McNairy Central. Central’s defense was one of the highlights of the entire day. They play extremely hard for Coach Lott, and as always, he uses a lot of players. I enjoy watching them play because there is never a question about whether or not his team is giving 100%. Obion County looked very good early in the morning, and Fussell was well on her way to being the best player in the building that day before her injury. She returned later in the day to watch some of the other games, so I assume that it was nothing serious. Liberty Tech Magnet has the potential to be a very dangerous team. With Miller and Jones, two Division I caliber players, anchoring this team, as well as some solid guards, they are capable of playing with just about anyone on any given night. However, the team is not very deep, and they lack a true point guard, which will hurt them down the stretch this year.

ptguard12, did you get to see the big girl from Colloway Co. KY? She's only a Junior and going to be for real over the next 2 years.

I only got to see about a half of Westview and Calloway County, KY. There was one girl in the post for Calloway who I remember being very effective on the low block. If it is the one I am thinking about, then she has was quite good and has quite a bit of upside to her game. I didn't really see enough of them though to give a real assessment of her ability.

GCPioneer wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liberty Tech is back in Double A.

Lake County was also without 4 year starter Tarrida Abbott, who doesnt get a lot of mention but actually deserves alot!!!! She is a solid rebounder, ball handler and maybe the silent sneaky threat that no one pays any attention to until too late.....she was definitely missed saturday, but this gave the younger girls some experience...Pearson will become more and more consistent as the year progresses....expect her to come on strong rt after Xmas!!!!

sbl