CAK vs Alcoa Part II

FootballDad

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to the Alcoa players and coaches for sending over a sympathy card to #20 and the Colletts. Nice/classy gesture. CAK family lost another dad (basketball player) last week and the QBs grandmom this week so it's been a tough week, particularly given the size of the athletic family at CAK. Guys had great practice yesterday and the defense ate a lot of food at the defense Monday dinner :hungry:

I keep hearing how well CAK's defense played a couple of weeks ago and that seems a little off. Alcoa had 410 yards of offense. One Alcoa receiver dropped a pass that would have gone for a 90+ yard TD (there was no defense that caused the drop). The only time Alcoa did not stop themselves was in the 4th quarter after 6 minute drive that went for about 70 yards and ended on downs. Alcoa easily could have scored 40 if they were not playing clock control.

Bad news for CAK....Alcoa was indeed sluggish 2 weeks ago. CAK's offense can have some success against the Alcoa D, but they can't be as consistent as they need to be in order to win. CAK's chances rest on Alcoa turning the ball over and having multiple penalties. The Alcoa offensive juggernaut is just that. Maryville couldn't stop it and CAK didn't in round 1. Tyner is no slouch and Alcoa made them look silly. Expect much of the same this week.

Alcoa 35

CAK 10

I must have missed your post earlier or I would have responded then. I believe those of us who have stated that CAK's defense played well are coming at it from a different perspective. No doubt giving up that many yards is statistically poor. And in no way did anyone suggest the Warrior defense was stellar. But, if you watched that game & I'm assuming you were there, you would have seen that Alcoa had to earn the vast majority of those yards. They did not gash CAK with multiple rips of 15+ yards at a time like they typically do everyone else. Heck, Alcoa rushed for more yards against Maryville than they did CAK and that was without the threat of any passing at all. Most of the Tornadoes scores came on long sustained drives, look at the time of possession. The lone exception was the Tyler Robinson TD pass. The CAK offense could not do anything with the Alcoa D after the first series, which was entirely too easy for the Warriors. So, the Warrior defenders were on the field practically the entire game. When was the last time the Tornado defense had to stand up to a 3 to 1 time of possession with a 245lb FB beating on you, a TB as good as Toney, and then for grins & giggles you get a taste of Mr.Warren running the ball? No less behind a OL as good as Alcoa's and all a part of a program that is the 5 time defending state champions. In addition to being at a significant size disadvantage. And only give up 24pts. I believe against those odds most observers would say the Warrior defense did an admirable job. And I don't think for a minute that Alcoa could have scored 40+ pts easily. At least on that night they had to work to get the 24 pts they got. This coming game may or may not be different, but regardless, that doesn't change my opinion about the last game.

All I got to say is GO CAK and prove all these people wrong that aren't giving you a chance and disrespecting you. I am a Polk fan and their post for the Loudon game is littered with how we will face Alcoa in the next round and you guys are getting absolutley no respect nor Loudon. This is your time to shine and quiet this sensless chatter and show them that they are not indestructable. I have all the respect in the world for the Alcoa football program but the boisterous fans are get a little annoying. We heard all this chatter pre the South Pitt game and went there and slayed the so called giant of 1A football who said they could hang with any football team in the state. Yes, this is a different aspect seeing you have played them 2 weeks previous but this is a huge advantage for both of you to key in on elements of the game. Best wishes to you guys and prayers for the family in their time of need. God bless everyone on both sides of the ball. GO CAK!!! :hungry:

CAK must be able to play its game of getting the ball to #15 and #21. Alcoa smothered them and allowed CAK to throw to other receivers knowing they could not hurt them. That hindered the running game and allowed Alcoa to pressure #2. CAK averaged over 30 points per game for the year. The game against Betsy and Alcoa, they went away from getting the ball to their play makers and scored 14 and 7. Against Mcminn Central, they again got the ball to #15 and #21 and again scored over 30. Now obviously Betsy and Alcoa were great defenses and that had something so do with the lack of production. However, it is on CAK to counter Alcoa's plan to shut down these receivers by moving them around, and getting the ball to them in different ways. In the first game with Alcoa, they were content to take what Alcoa was giving rather than what got them to this point.

I am so sorry to hear about the death in the cak family. We (Alcoa) know how it feels to have a father of a player pass away like that, then senior Jeff Hickman's dad died durring the playoffs last year. I know it is hard not seeing him in the stands but he now has the best seats in the house for the rest of #20's(sorry dont know name) life. All of us in at Alcoa feel for you and I will continue to pray for you and your family. Again sorry for your loss.