SBEC @ Davidson Academy

Veer

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen DA this year, but based on the fact that they beat Webb and had several chances to beat DCA, It looks like there as strong as usual, even with Justin being out with the Knee. On the other hand SBEC can be very good, especially passing. At the same time, they have had a couple games where they made a lot of mistakes. I would favor DA, but also believe SBEC is very capable of winning if they are on.

If both teams play to their potential, DA wins...pretty simple. They won handily in the regular season last year, 48-14 (after SBEC scored the first 2 TDs), and then won in the playoffs 37-20. Both games were in Nashville.

DA was just too big. SBEC can throw better than the average DII-A team and runs the ball relatively well (1,000 yd rusher this year) and has some pretty diverse options on offense...and DA is still too big. Their ability to get pressure while rushing 4 really hurt the SBEC offense last year. Our QB can run and run well if need be. When you only have to rush 4, though, you usually still have pretty good containment in the secondary. You could look at the DA roster last year and see with only a handful of seniors that DA had a chance to be very, very good this year....and here we are. SBEC actually didn't lose a ton from last year, either, but really didn't get any bigger and DA didn't get any smaller. That's a bunch that just executes, executes, executes. I'm sad that Justin hurt the knee earlier in the year b/c he's a treat to watch. I'm not sad that SBEC won't have to face him but we saw how much that hurt against Webb...not much apparently.

Defensively, I imagine SBEC wil have to bring 8 or 9 up and go man on the WRs and hope Arrington gets a 24 hour bug or something and DA goes with a 150 lb lead blocker. :thumb: You can either play more straight up and give up chunks of yardage or bring the house and hope nobody misses a tackle for a big play. That O-line is just that much bigger than our D-line. Same on the defensive side plus they aren't slow.

Not to sound too negative, I wouldn't be going if I didn't think SBEC had a chance. Well, yeah, I probably would anyway. I do think they have a chance but it's going to take a superlative effort from both sides of the ball, special teams, AND some great coaching and some breaks going their way. Starting last week, each week is Butch Veazey's last game at SBEC (along with some assistants) if they lose and I'm sure he'll pull every play he's got out of the playbook and he's got a pretty fun playbook.

Did I mention DA was bigger?

I'm sad that Justin hurt the knee earlier in the year b/c he's a treat to watch. I'm not sad that SBEC won't have to face him but we saw how much that hurt against Webb...not much apparently.

i'm sure justin woulda made a difference in the webb game and prolly woulda helped da win a little easier but u need to know that the kid who is at rb as his replacement is a stud and he's only a sophomore.

Good luck to ya'll in Nashville Trojanfan. I, for one hate to see Coach Veazy go. Coach Spain retired 3 years ago from FACS so were starting to see a changing of the guard in our area. Netherland and Heinz can't be to far behind those guys. We have been privalidged with very good coaching in our area for a very long time. I'm sure the new breed of coaches will do fine (We really like Coach Purvis at FACS) but its sad to see those coaches step down.

We really have been blessed in our little group with some fine coaches who are good Christian men and witnesses to these young men. I'll really miss seeing Coach Veazey on the sidelines, as well. I wonder how long Coach Grannan will keep going at Bishop Byrne, too. Time marches on.

Ace,

I know there are a lot of seniors this year so it will be a young group next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the ranks swell again, though. This senior class held down a lot of positions and I think kept a number of kids from coming out this year and it was a smaller squad overall than is typical. No idea what they're looking for or who's being looked at and that's a good thing. I hope they play it close to the vest and keep the process non-political and I don't hear a peep. :thumb:

I believe they're definitely taking applications and are serious about looking outside the school but I guess we'll find out when we find out.