Losing record teams in the playoffs...

jabbo

The new system was supposed to cut down on the number of teams with losing records in the playoffs, right? Let's look at the data for 1A through 6A....

Number of playoff teams with losing records during the last 4 years

2009 - 20 Two teams with losing records advanced

2008 - 12 One team with a losing record advanced

2007 - 18 No teams with losing records advanced

2006 - 18 Two teams with losing records advanced

Doesn't look like the new system changed anything, does it?

On the other hand, I agree with the other reasons supporting the new system - it was nice this year to renew some old rivalries and not spend 2 1/2 hours on the road one way to Crossville!

• 2 weeks later...
Look and see how many schools have winning records last year and didn't make the playoff. How many teams this year had a winning record and didn't make the playoffs?

I've taken a quick look at this and I may be full of crap (it wouldn't be the first time), but here are the number of teams with winning records that didn't make the playoffs over the last 4 years:

2009 - 1

2008 - 5

2007 - 7

2006 - 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

jabbo,

I believe you are correct. I never hear that the new playoff system was suposed to not have as many loosing records in the playoffs. Maybe that was the idea but I never hear that.

I was told that they didnt take 32 teams in A and AA because they aint got but about 40 teams in their and it wouldnt be fair to take almost all of them and take only half of the teams in the other classes.

Dont know if thats right or wrong just what I hear.

To me, there should obviously be more losing teams in the playoffs simply because around half of all teams are playing up during the regular season under this regular season system. I would much prefer having more losing teams in if it eliminates winning teams being left out.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No, the whole problem started when TN actually thought they had enough high schools to have 6 classes. Tn doesn't have enough schools for that. They should be right around 4 classes. That is why we are having these watered down playoffs. Things will continue to get worse until the T$$AA realizes that.....