What it takes to be a championship team

open enrollment is not BIG reason for 10 Championships

open enrollment DOES help the cause

i do not know how much more i can dumb that down. if you can not realize that very simple fact, then i'm wasting my time talking to a fool. :thumb:

Now who's under whose skin? :blink:

"Alcoa has this pool to draw players from yadda yadda yadda" :thumb:

under, yes.

skin, no. :o

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an Alcoa fan, but I do have a tremendous amount of respect for what they have been able to accomplish. However, if you don't think that the "open enrollement" helps the cause, then you are just as brainwashed and nieve as all the other private schools. I can't get on here and spew facts about where kid "x" lives, but I'd be willing to bet that they all don't come from within the Alcoa city limits. How many are from surrounding counties, if we are going to throw out "facts"? Success breeds success, and people want to be a part of it. If a kid wants to play at public school "x", his/her parents have to relocate. Is this the case at Alcoa? How far does your "open enrollement" radius extend? Again, I'm not trying to bash Alcoa, or what they've been able to accomplish by any means! But for Tornado fans not to acknowledge it as a factor is laughable.

I am a loudon fan. i have many friends on the team. and i have the utmost respect for loudon. even though they beat us every year, they are our district brothers and their parents, players, and coaches are as nice and respectful as any. no matter what the score board says. open zone school or not, we love to play alcoa. because its always a fun and hard fought game. we would much rather play them than play some little rinky dink nobody school and blow them out. alcoa deserves everything they have achieved this far. good luck the rest of the way. hopefully it ends this friday (sorry,, remember im from loudon) but if it does not. best of luck and bring another gold ball home.

why are some people talking about why milan looses to alcoa correct me if im wrong but that game has not been played yet and is not going to be played friday nite either we need to focus on what matters which is this friday nothing more if u dont make it it wont even matter as for open zone it might help it might not but who cares what ever happened to being the best by beating the best im out this is i guess just a hopeless argument cause some just dont get it at all

First it takes a coach with a good mind, Not just for football but for teaching the kids how to live the right way. Then you have got to have kids with the will to learn and to be taught. Its not always winning that makes a champion its is learning how to be a good winner and how to be a better loser. If you lose with grace and show class and know you did the best you could at everything you do and have no regrets then you are a champion in my book. :roflolk:

I tend to think of it a little differently. Some of you may remember the 1998 NCAA National Championship Football Team from Tennessee. This team according to the coaching staff didn't have the talent that they had the year before, but they did something that that team could not do. The achieved more with lesser talent because they realized they could not acomplish their goal alone. They didn't put their faith in a few, they had to come together and work as one to be champions. Thats what Football is all about making that connection that joins each one together into a team. Sure you have to have talent too, but if one man takes off for one play that can end your season or make for a long trip back home. This teaches you a lot about life too. Sure you can be successful alone, but how much more enjoyable is it to share your success with others and help them be successful too. What one can achieve alone is imeasurable compared to what can be achieved as a team. Strength is in numbers.

I tend to think of it a little differently. Some of you may remember the 1998 NCAA National Championship Football Team from Tennessee. This team according to the coaching staff didn't have the talent that they had the year before, but they did something that that team could not do. The achieved more with lesser talent because they realized they could not acomplish their goal alone. They didn't put their faith in a few, they had to come together and work as one to be champions. Thats what Football is all about making that connection that joins each one together into a team. Sure you have to have talent too, but if one man takes off for one play that can end your season or make for a long trip back home. This teaches you a lot about life too. Sure you can be successful alone, but how much more enjoyable is it to share your success with others and help them be successful too. What one can achieve alone is imeasurable compared to what can be achieved as a team. Strength is in numbers.

Don't get me wrong I was very glad that Tennessee won a National Championship, but that team IMHO was very lucky to even have the chance to play for one. Arkansas should have had their name on the trophy as well.

Tee Martin doesn't even compare to Manning THEN AND ESPECIALLY NOW. If you recall Martin threw the ball in the stands on 4th down. Then the 8th wonder of the world happened when Arkansas just give us the game. Then Fulmer finally opened his eyes and ran Travis (block of cheese) Henry 4 straight times for the winning score.

I wouldn't consider that 98 team as a Championship team, I would call them very very LUCKY.

What does it take to be a state championship team and a powerhouse for multiple years?? I have seen these discussions on other state high school football boards. Some of my thoughts........

A. You must have confidence and experience. The players and coaches must believe in themselves and all members of the team. Playmakers have to step up and produce when they are behind. Teammates and coaches are encouraging each other to be the best they can be.

B. Support from parents, boosters and the community at large. When all pull together to meet the financial needs of the team, the coaches can then concentrate on teaching our kids the game of football. The players have pride in their program, win or lose knowing that they are supported both financially and emotionally through all they achieve.

C. Good Athletic Directors and Administrative Support. Without this support, the team will always feel they are fighting an uphill battle. Encouragement and leadership in these areas boost morale for both coaches and players.

D. Having a good feeder system. Quality coaching at middle school and JV levels prepare these kids for leadership positions on their high school team. Consistency is also a key in this area.

E. Conditioning and strength programs are also key. Being 1/2 step quicker and a little bit stronger than the opponent across the field creates opportunities for the entire team.

F. Coaching. Pure knowledge of the game and the ability to get the most from the talent you have on the field is key. Discipline, discipline, discipline is mandatory to lead a group of young men to achieve success and to learn from mistakes.

Your thoughts??

What does it take? Maybe to be an Open zone school near a big city? That seems to help!

Agree Glover, it's hard to win the Derby with a mule. :thumb:

Football mom,ya make sense.Alot of interesting thoughts here.How about heart? To keep trying when you're down.Like one post said,playing a team ya know you're gonna knock around with your b-team is no fun.Play the best,win or lose,ya know ya were trying your best.I've seen so many games at all levels turn on a dime.Thats where the luck comes in.To know as a team you are supported by your parents and community,the -twelvth man-,means a whole lot too.Dang ,I wish we could play like 16 game seasons,,,,sigh,,lol.Ya'll be NICE now! :thumb: