Josh Lewis S.H.

Tucker carlson Jeff

Leterrin Thomas S.D.

Dylan Bryant D.C.

Ty Hayworth D.B.

Alex Taylor T.H.

Josh Barnette S.H.

T.J. Moorman W.G.

I would like to thank Coach Buzzy Mann Dobyns Bennett High for doing an excellent job

hosting this year we were done and out by 8:00 both nights excellent job everything

ran smooth. I would also like to congratulate Science Hill on a great season finishing

3rd. and dominating the region tournament. I would also like to wish all the young men

representing Region 1 the best next week in Franklin. Be safe on the trip and wrestle hard. :thumb:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were some refs last night(and friday) that were absolutler horrible. I saw 3 matches where a Jeff County wrestler was wrestling and he won, yet, the referee, was from Jeff County. I saw a match where a TN Wrestler got screwed out by a Jeff County ref. The TN wrestler lost the match, but not to the wreslter, to the REF!!!!!!

In my opinion, ALL refs should be reffing at another region at the region tournement each year! This way, there is no "fair play" going on

Or here is a better idea, look at the thread called Becoming an official.

This Region has been short on officials this due to one having to concentrate on the buisness he owns and one getting hurt earlier in the season.

TSSAA has officials. Jeff Co. does not. I live in Hamblen Co.

We are really short on officials in the Tri-Cities area and you helping out up in that area would be of great assistance to the rest of the officials in the more western part of the Region who have to honestly are breaking even on gas money to call a dual meet in your end of the Region. I'm not complaining about the money. Lord knows there isn't a whole lot there to complain about but it is our time away from our families and own children that we can not replace because we do something we love for a sport that has been so good to us. When I say the sport has been good to us, I don't mean financially.

Personally,this sport made me a better person and self disciplined. It has taught me how to take disapointment when things don't always go the way you want them to. That is something that no one will be able to take away nor will I be able to repay the sport, no matter how long I continue to be a part of it. Your son will take these same things away from this sport and maybe more. :thumb:

tnsmokediver, I would still like an explination on how at the 145 finals you called a takedown. I don't believe anyone in the gym other than you thought that was anything close to a takedown. There was no control, and your explination was weak. Cost our kid the match. That was the only call I questioned that involved our kids. I can't comment on the others but that call was a bit ridiculous especially in a tight match in the finals. Just sayn I believe we were screwed in that match.

tnsmokediver, I would still like an explination on how at the 145 finals you called a takedown. I don't believe anyone in the gym other than you thought that was anything close to a takedown. There was no control, and your explination was weak. Cost our kid the match. That was the only call I questioned that involved our kids. I can't comment on the others but that call was a bit ridiculous especially in a tight match in the finals. Just sayn I believe we were screwed in that match.

It wasn't near as weak as the argument I recieved at the table. You said you were not arguing control but that the other kid pushed yours out of bounds.

Now remember the situation and look at rule 5 Definitions (specifically Section 26 Takedown).

ART. 1 It is a takedown when , from a neutral position, a wrestler gains control over his opponent down on the mat and the supporting parts of either wrestler are inbounds. When a majority of the defensive wrestler's weight is borne on the hand(s), it is considered a supporting part(s).

ART. 2 A takedown shall be awarded when one or both knees of the defensive wrestler are touching the mat beyond reaction time or when the defensive wrestler's legs or torso are controlled and the mojority of the weight is supported by the hands.

ART. 3 In awarding a takedown at the edge of the mat, control must be established while the supporting points of either wrestler are inbounds or while at least the feet of the scoring contestant finish down on the mat inbounds.

Now did the defensive wrestler bear his weight down on the mat on a knee(s) or hand(s)? Yes.

Did the offensive wrestler control the torso or leg beyond reaction time? Yes. The offensive wrestler had a tight cradle and in my opinion was in control.

Did all of the above happen before the wrestler's went out of bounds? Yes

Call....Takedown 2 points.

I could have called the takedown a tad earlier but held my call because I was looking at hands feet and where the weight was being borne to make absolutely sure that I was making the correct call. I knew exactly what the call would mean during the match and I wanted to make sure I got it right. I can say without a doubt, I did.

Now as for those folks in the gym who didn't believe that I made the correct call, I can't help what they think. Remember, those folks in the gym that knew the definition of a takedown and didn't argue, according to the rule stated above would have been making the very same statement you made.

But they would have said I screwed the other kid.

Was it a bang bang call? Yes

If I saw that same situation again would I make the same call.? Yes

Remember, you have been on the mat wearing stripes before. Sometimes what you see from that chair looks alot different from what you see 5 to 10 feet away.

Only the West fans and some uninformed fans, thought it was the wrong call, all the officials agreed. The other wrestler had a cradle locked up with the West kid, hands on the mat. That is "text book" control. Get you a rule book and a case book and look it up. How can you say there was no control. No one got screwed, GOOD CALL, End of discussion.

gods have spoken refs are always right they are the only ones who know the rules and

the sport. Coaches know nothing of wrestling rules or the sport of wrestling. END OF

DISCUSSION!!! :roflol:

No. There are some coaches out there with a great knowledge of the rule book. But there are alot of coaches out there whose knowledge of the rule book is (if you don't mind I'm going to borrow a quote here) "average at best". :thumb:

Can you tell me the steps to becoming a wrestling official? Is there a knowledge test, place to apply, and other information of that nature? My son used to wrestle for Morr East and he might be interested in filling some of your officials vacancies.

There is a thread called Becoming an official on the wrestling forum. There is a set of directions there on how to get in. I posted the directions alot of it in humor but it is really easy to get too and register.

The hard part is getting on the mat and doing it. :roflol: