Region 1 Wrestling

HULK123

Jeff County took 13 in 1997-had Scott Fandetti lived, it would have been fourteen as he would have gone 119 and pushed Waylon Lowe down to 112. We had a really good 112 pounder that year in Nathan Cate. He would have placed, but it was just too difficult for him to hold the weight. He wrestled 130 the next year; in today's erea there would have been no way he would have been allowed to go 112. He would never have passed hydration or the fat test.

Science Hill took 12 in 2002 and 2003.

As large as the region has become, SHHS qualifying all 14 will take a great effort and a bit of luck.

Unless Farrace, Brimer, Hollowell, or Hooban had a team that took 14, I don't think it has been done, especially in the new configuration.

By the way, congratulations to Tony Farrace who on Saturday was inducted into the Science Hill Sports Hall of Fame.

Was anything written anywhere about Ferrace's induction? I didn't see anything in the paper nor on the website.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of a brag, but definately an embarrassing story. At GHS we qualified 10 of the 12 weights classes in what was called the old Super Region for States. 4 Regions in the state and we were Region 1 (Dist. 1 tri cities, Dist.2 basically the Imac, Dist. 3 Knox area, Dist. 4 Cleveland, Bradley Co, Rhea, ect.) Only 16 wrestlers per state brackett.

Sounds good, we scored 2 points at State, I was shocked! particularly after we had great success across the state in tourneys. (McCallie, Karns, Overton).

Knox Webb took 2 wrestlers and was 5th. A first and a 3rd. It was one stae then and little above average wrestlers had little or no chance to score in the round of 16 like todays round of 32 or in the wrestle backs. Three years earlier we had been 6th with 3 wrestlers qualifying. A second, 3rd, and 2 wins from our wrestler that didn't place.

Being a Super Region Individual Champion was a strong accomplishment.

Back in the stone age('72-'75) there was only the district, regional, and state. In 1975 they added a sub-state which made it somewhat easier to advance. After the district you had to go through Chattanooga to qualify for the state, needless to say not many from NE TN did. There were no classifications back then which also made the road a lot tougher as we know it today. During this time the most that qualified from a Farrace team may have been 3 or 4. I know when Dave Hollowell was a senior they qualified 3. My junior and senior season we qualified 2. If the same format was in place back then as it is today some of Farrace's teams may have qualified 10-12. Dave, you may want to chime in and correct any discrepancies as my memory is not what it used to be.

Coach Farrace's induction was reported in the JC Press prior to the event. You may want to check their web page.

The best state individual tournament showing we had during my time at Jeff County was in 1998 when we only took five guys. Two firsts (Waylon Lowe and Justin Anderson), a fourth (Billy James), and a fifth (Josh Moffat) and finished seventh. We finished fourth in the duals in 1997 and imploded at the individuals.

The best Science Hill finish was fourth in the duals (2002 and 2003) and fourth in the individuals in 2002.

So the fourth/fourth finish stands as the best at Science Hill. Of course this team is the Gold Standard for the program; they were great wrestlers and excellent young men, all of whom have gone on to accomplish great things.

There was an article on both Erick Waage and Coach Farrace in the Johnson City paper on Friday. Coach Farrace never bragged about what he did so it was cool to actually see some of his accomplishments. I can't find the links. Sorry.

When the time is up and all is said and done, how many times will Price be inducted into hall of fames? He has done great jobs at each school he has worked with, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee--Jeff Co and Science Hill. Heck he even made it thru CN without killing sum of us during his stint as Asst. Coach.

A great coach and motivator that gets out and turns programs around. No one can doubt that he has established himself in the sport of wrestling. Good job Jeff Price.

Kuzi, your memory hasn't failed you, YET...lol

Wrestling is so different today in ETn from the 60's to early 80's it can hardly be compared.

It was an 8 man state and the 4 wrestlers from McMinn Co. to Bristol (district 1) had to wrestle through 2 Chattanooga Districts at the Regionals. 8 Chattanoogans of all stripes in those days and they seeded you. I was a District champ and was unseeded (placed on line 2). Fortunately I drew a number 1 seed and took care of my business and it was made easier. Inspite of the attrition, 7 from NET made it to state and 5 or 6 placed. All 3 Toppers (Redd 98, Ponder 126, Hollowell 185), Stan Schrader HWT Halls and 1 or 2 Morristown East light weights.

Our success at State lead to a more balance placement at regions in Chatt.

We became good wrestlers in the practice room in those days. No AAU/USA, no middle school programs, no youth programs, and FB coaches as a rule were opposed to wrestling as compared to more of an indifference FB coaches have today. The great programs still are excellent practice room teams, but enhanced by many other support systems. There were no 2nd or 3rd generation wrestlers as a rule. I was fortunate my dad was a pretty good Oklahoma HS wrestler and we talked and he showed. There were no wrestling staffs in those days, just the coach.

We did spend more time in the room, when I graduated I had a record of 49-7 and was 2nd in career wins, 51 or 2 was the best (maybe Pat Rowan). I lost 1/2 my Jr. season to mono so it cost me another 12-14 matches. 3 and 1/2 hour practices, many fewer wrestling dates and under the tuteledge of a Tony Farace it was like putting in 2 years on the mat, with Tony, who only coached me my Senior year. Kuzi several the guys on your team blew away our win totals and you were #one for several more years after you graduated.

My sr. year, I did work out twice a week with 3 guys from Milligan College. It was a step from darkness into the light. One was from New Jersey, One from Northern Va, and a tall 175lber. from Pa.

Science Hill was a true 10th-12th grade school and you did not see a mat till the tenth grade. It was a mighty testament to Tony Farace. I gave his record to the News paper I accidently inflated it, but none the less a 106w vs 7 losses in 10 years and 9 district titles ( same as region title today) was nothing to sneeze about.

Less than 12 duals a year

Question for NoOnesFool

Who is better HWT when it comes down to Quillen, Crosby and Cave? I know each was interested in the school bench press record, but all three on the mat who would walk out Victorious?

You realize Pummell King I am making a mistake at my age by answering this but I've had a great life and the Insurance is paid up.

Athlete- 1) Crosby 2) Quillen 3) Cave

Strongest- 1) Cave 2) Quillen 3) Crosby

Agility- 1) Crosby 2)Quillen 3) Cave

Pure meaness- 1) Cave 2) Quillen 3) Crosby

Intangibles- 1) Crosby 2) Quillen 3) Cave

Off their feet- 1) Crosby, 2) Quillen 3) Cave

Down wrestling- 1) Quillen 2) Crosby 3) Cave

Write a book on wrestling- 1) Quillen 2) Crosby 3) Cave

Coachability- 1) Crosby 2) Quillen 3) Cave

Results- 1) Crosby two 1sts & a 3rd. 2) Cave 2nd and a 3rd. 3)Quillen 2nd.

My rankings: Crosby, Quillen and Cave in that order.

Question for NoOnesFool

Who is better HWT when it comes down to Quillen, Crosby and Cave? I know each was interested in the school bench press record, but all three on the mat who would walk out Victorious?

You realize Pummell King I am making a mistake at my age by answering this but I've had a great life and the Insurance is paid up.

Athlete- 1) Crosby 2) Quillen 3) Cave

Strongest- 1) Cave 2) Quillen 3) Crosby

Agility- 1) Crosby 2)Quillen 3) Cave

Pure meaness- 1) Cave 2) Quillen 3) Crosby

Intangibles- 1) Crosby 2) Quillen 3) Cave

Off their feet- 1) Crosby, 2) Quillen 3) Cave

Down wrestling- 1) Quillen 2) Crosby 3) Cave

Write a book on wrestling- 1) Quillen 2) Crosby 3) Cave

Coachability- 1) Crosby 2) Quillen 3) Cave

Results- 1) Crosby two 1sts & a 3rd. 2) Cave 2nd and a 3rd. 3)Quillen 2nd.

My rankings: Crosby, Quillen and Cave in that order.

You forgot Cave placed AA at Sr Nationals. All three were great guys to work with.

Not much fun to be picked on by though. I specifically recall Josh and Daniel hurling Joel and I through the air back and forth to one another like we were medicine balls, lol.

But then again I also remember a couple of times that Joel and I were assigned to follow Daniel during team running to give him some extra inspiration haha.

Not much fun to be picked on by though. I specifically recall Josh and Daniel hurling Joel and I through the air back and forth to one another like we were medicine balls, lol.

But then again I also remember a couple of times that Joel and I were assigned to follow Daniel during team running to give him some extra inspiration haha.

Im sure it was fun being thrown thru the air, never got to tossed tho. Ducan was a case tho. Had a hard time figureing things out but I just wish i had 4 years to have worked with him.