Father Ryan vs MUS

bigred22

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of us in Middle Tennessee only know MUS by reputation, and who they have beaten. FR will be the first Nashville team they have played, so from that point of view MUS is something of an unknown here. That said this is what I do know. It is tough for a Nashville team to travel to Memphis and win. I don't know if it is the long bus ride or there is somwthing in the Memphis water supply. MBA went to MUS twice in 2004 with a better team and lost both games by a slim margin... good luck to FR. Wouldn't it be fun to drive to Cookeville on a Thursday night to watch FR and MBA play again. That is pure insanity.

I would have to disagree with your assumption of MBA having a better team in 2004. One loss I might agree but to lose twice in the same year doesn't equate to a better team in my opinion

Both games were close...within a touchdown, and really the teams were evenly matched. Both games were played in Memphis and if that had been reversed the results might have been as well. The second game in particular was tough. The conditions were horrible. It had rained early in the week and then gotten cold, all the mud had frozen. It was a cold night. The final was MUS 10 MBA 7. The MUS TD came on a gadget play, and other then that their offense didn't do much. I don't remember exactly what happened, MBA either blocked a punt or recovered a fumble, but they got the ball at the MUS 10 with about 2 minutes to go. They picked up 6 on first down, and 3 on 2nd down. So it was 3rd and goal from the one and Rutledge makes a call I have never understood. Rather then loading up the backfield and running behind our all-american left tackle, he puts the ball in the hands of our sophomore QB and runs an option. The QB goes the wrong way and is stopped for a short loss. The kicker slips on the field goal try and it is blocked...game over. That game broke my sons heart. He played dline and they all played their butts off. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. That 2004 MBA team overcame so much adversity with injuries starting with the first day of two a days. MUS went on to wear BA out in the championship game.

Those of us in Middle Tennessee only know MUS by reputation, and who they have beaten. FR will be the first Nashville team they have played, so from that point of view MUS is something of an unknown here. That said this is what I do know. It is tough for a Nashville team to travel to Memphis and win. I don't know if it is the long bus ride or there is somwthing in the Memphis water supply. MBA went to MUS twice in 2004 with a better team and lost both games by a slim margin... good luck to FR. Wouldn't it be fun to drive to Cookeville on a Thursday night to watch FR and MBA play again. That is pure insanity.

I would have to disagree with your assumption of MBA having a better team in 2004. One loss I might agree but to lose twice in the same year doesn't equate to a better team in my opinion

Both games were close...within a touchdown, and really the teams were evenly matched. Both games were played in Memphis and if that had been reversed the results might have been as well. The second game in particular was tough. The conditions were horrible. It had rained early in the week and then gotten cold, all the mud had frozen. It was a cold night. The final was MUS 10 MBA 7. The MUS TD came on a gadget play, and other then that their offense didn't do much. I don't remember exactly what happened, MBA either blocked a punt or recovered a fumble, but they got the ball at the MUS 10 with about 2 minutes to go. They picked up 6 on first down, and 3 on 2nd down. So it was 3rd and goal from the one and Rutledge makes a call I have never understood. Rather then loading up the backfield and running behind our all-american left tackle, he puts the ball in the hands of our sophomore QB and runs an option. The QB goes the wrong way and is stopped for a short loss. The kicker slips on the field goal try and it is blocked...game over. That game broke my sons heart. He played dline and they all played their butts off. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. That 2004 MBA team overcame so much adversity with injuries starting with the first day of two a days. MUS went on to wear BA out in the championship game.

So maybe we owe you one.

If you go back and look at the fg I think you will see that MBA didn't move a tackle over or move the ball to compensate for the ball being on the right hash and that made a short corner for our best block guy and he got it. The best of memory it was a fumbled punt that set up the final drive but I might be wrong. I would agree that they were evenly matched and if played in Nashville it might have been different.

I went to the MUS -vs- Father Ryan Game tonight to see Brunetti's last home game. Worst game I have ever seen MUS play. The punt returner dropped 2 for turnover's, he ran one in for a saftey. The ref's flagged MUS for 4 pass interference calls which only one was legit. MUS dropped 4 potential interceptions. Father Ryan played flawless football but MUS should have beaten that team by at least 3 or 4 touchdowns. Nothing against Father Ryan, as they played a good game it is just they are not even close to the team MUS is. Good Game Father Ryan, MUS almost gave you the game tonight. Father Ryan has one of the best HS Kicker's I have ever seen though. He can boot it. If MUS plays the way they played tonight in the State Championship game they will lose plain and simple. That was not MUS tonight.

Congrats to the Fighting Irish for a tough hard fought game. You almost had the "perfect storm." You caught the Owls without their best RB and with their QB gimpy enough to be kept from running the ball in the 1st half. Only the Owls' defense was true to form. The QB threw his first interception of the season, the punt returner mishandled the ball for the first time this season (twice) and got tackled for a safety (has anybody out there ever since a punt return end in a safety???), and the kicker missed his first FG of the season. FR won the turnover and penalty "battles" big. The men in stripes were friendly to them and had a unique interpretation of what constitutes defensive pass interference (FR's second best play of the game was to sail a pass 5 feet over the receiver's head and hope that a MUS defender touched him).

Pollard showed he probably has the strongest leg in the country. McPhail showed he is a very capable QB. His 3 worst passes fortuitously bounced off the cast on Rudolph's forearm. Bateman dragged 4 MUS defenders from the 40 to the 30 yd line before breaking loose for a 50+ yard TD run. A very unusual game which gave the MUS fans some uneasy moments to be sure. Congrats again well deserved.

You all are under-rating the Irish. They beat BA lost to

MBA by 4 which they coould have and should have won. Lost

to Ensworth by 8 and lost to MUS by 8 they never gave up throughout the game and first play of the game Brunetti tested the secondary and threw his first pick of the season. The Irish seem

to not be able earn any respect.

Although you can post some juvenile comments chattpinn, i must agree with you. For a team to be picked preseason to finish second to last in the region and to finish with the second seed, a bye in the playoffs, and give yourself a chance to win a game against the #10 team in the country who no TN team has been able to hang with up to last night's point, I grant you your well deserved respect. Your team has been picked to lose almost every game this season, and while obviously no one in nashville believed in you, you continued to prove us wrong. Credit is due where credit is earned gentlemen. I take my hat off for the 2009 Ryan team.

Is that really the MUS team that has been given so much press over the past 2 seasons?

Yea, you guys had turnovers, penalties, etc... but FRHS has made a football strategy by forcing turnovers and mistakes and winning off those problems other teams have. You can say your team didn't do their best because of all the turnovers and what not, but that's how FRHS has won this year. Luck of the Irish? I think not, it's become Irish doctrine to have a strategy based around the best way to win in D-2, and thats making progress off their opponents mistakes.

MUS better practice, and better practice HARD. Thursday night (or whenever the game is) will be MUCH harder than this, and MBA is in the habbit of also forcing turnovers. MUS could very easily lose this championship match. In fact, i'd be suprised if they won.

Yea, you guys had turnovers, penalties, etc... but FRHS has made a football strategy by forcing turnovers and mistakes and winning off those problems other teams have. You can say your team didn't do their best because of all the turnovers and what not, but that's how FRHS has won this year. Luck of the Irish? I think not, it's become Irish doctrine to have a strategy based around the best way to win in D-2, and thats making progress off their opponents mistakes.

A haiku for Hadouken:

Strategy failure

Sends Owls again to the 'ship

Better luck next time

:thumb: