Sullivan South Offseason Thread

WaCoJaCo

You people can hack all you want about the way Stacy or any of his other coaches chooses playing time but the fact is and especially with DB's that if you don't perform in practice you don't get into the game. There are 11 people on O and D. That equals 22 people. If we are two deep at every position then that equals 44. We had 70+ people on this years squad.What do you suggest those other people do? It takes time people. Coach Weston likes to get Soph's for DB's because it is the hardest position on the field to coach. If he gets them as a Soph then when they are Juniors they have a clue and when they are Seniors they are lockdown. The consequence with Soph DB's is that you are vulnerable and there's no way around it. The reason this years Seniors got so much playing time last year is because the halftime scores were usually in excess of 40 points. Taylor and Bradley had their yards by halftime. That is the sole reason the reserves got to play. The reason Curt was left in the game in every game is he was shooting for Mr. Football. And Stacy gave him as much exposure at as many positions as he possibly could. You think that was unfair? I don't see too many Mr. Football's since Curt left! Stacy has issues but deciding playing time is not one of them. Curt's skill set was well defined when he was a Frosh that's why he played early. Taylor Fletcher's skill set was well defined when he was a Frosh that's why he played early. If your skill set needs work you will play scout team until you get it right. Heath Haden's skill set was set when he was a Frosh. He was just fragile. Aaron's skill set was not set until he was a Junior but he had the advantage of playing third quarter all year. He took keen advantage of his opportunity and turned himself into a stellar playmaker QB.

There's no across the board rule on these things. It is one on one. Player by player. Some mature early. Some later. But one thing is for sure...the coaches see things in practice that we just do not. And that is what fuels their decisions.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people can hack all you want about the way Stacy or any of his other coaches chooses playing time .....

While I agree with some of the above, I will continue to disagree with some decisions made by Carter and crew. I hope they all stay at South, but no altar worshiping here.

If Weston (who will not be there next year) likes to play sophs to get lock downs by senior year, where were all those juniors and seniors he developed the last two years?

"Getting their yards" and "Mr. Football" awards should be secondary to winning games and developing the team. <----Period.

If 8 or 9 players play both ways the whole game, while your opponent is substituting freely, in the close games that matter, I'll put my money on the fresher team every time. Out of 70+ players there has to be players that have close to the skill levels needed to keep everybody fresh. Could it be that it is just more time efficient to develop 20 and not 70+? That at least would keep the coaches fresh.

You people can hack all you want about the way Stacy or any of his other coaches chooses playing time .....

While I agree with some of the above, I will continue to disagree with some decisions made by Carter and crew. I hope they all stay at South, but no altar worshiping here.

If Weston (who will not be there next year) likes to play sophs to get lock downs by senior year, where were all those juniors and seniors he developed the last two years?

"Getting their yards" and "Mr. Football" awards should be secondary to winning games and developing the team. <----Period.

If 8 or 9 players play both ways the whole game, while your opponent is substituting freely, in the close games that matter, I'll put my money on the fresher team every time. Out of 70+ players there has to be players that have close to the skill levels needed to keep everybody fresh. Could it be that it is just more time efficient to develop 20 and not 70+? That at least would keep the coaches fresh.

While I agree with you to a certain extent J, I have to ask you, how many times in the last few years have we lost a game because of tired players? I've never been on a team or been associated with a team that I couldn't look on the sidelines and wonder why a certain player wasn't getting some playing time. That happens on every team. I think all in all this staff does a great job. You can't argue with success. I do think the next few years are going to be a challenge. Line play will be the determining factor. And after next year, QB play. We've been very fortunate the last few years to have some good QB's come through the pipeline. I think we have a diamond in the rough on the freshman squad though. Time will tell.

J...first of all you and your views are respected on here. The issues with Stacy that many share are repeatable issues and are visible every year in the playoffs. I think that 90% of all the teams in this state play 20-25 people regardless of bench numbers. I tend to agree with the accolades versus team mentality however when you have an athlete that is teetering on the Division I fault line I would agree to give him exposure to get him press. What you are describing is a GQ team. No superstars, no one player the team can't do without, no special reps for a potential high brow athlete, and playing time devided among gifted and non-gifted players. He mixes experience and inexperience right in the game on the field. He plays to win not for philosophical reasons. Winning is his philosophy...at all costs.

I don't think we will find a duplicate of GQ in this state.His ways of doing things are unique. Probably why he jumped from dominating 4A to dominating 6A...without skipping a beat.

Here is my count of players that started or played a fair amount:

Nick Solt, Jay Conkin, Taylor McGlothlin, Dillon Hammonds, Ty Garvin, Clint Phillips, Ethan Long, Paul Wagner, Taylor Rowland, Ashton Zanoni, Heath Haden, Aaron St.Clair, Bobby Taylor, Seth Watterson, Ryan Fuller, Zach Ervin, Sam Conaway, Austin Hyder, Brenton Hubbard, Drew Shanks, AJ Hutchins, Cody Shipley, Austin Riddle, Brad Mckee, Jordan Cassell, Caleb Anderson, Wesley Williams, JC Garvin, Jason Johnson and Cody Medlin.

That's 30 players. Obviously, some of these played more than others, but at one time or another these kids played a descent amount. Some playing time was limited due to nagging injuries(Riddle/Cassell/Shanks/williams). JJ would have played more if he was under control. "I SEE NO GLARING OMISSIONS FROM PLAYING TIME OR ANYONE ELSE ON THE ROSTER WHO SHOULD'VE BEEN PLAYING". Please list a name if I've overlooked a star on the sideline.

Now as a player, fan, onlooker, whatever, I think we all would have done something different at some point or question a call (in hindsight obviously). Here it is though...SC is a good coach. So is his staff. Yes we have had talent, but not just anybody can make it work. We overachieved this year in my view, especially after losing a friend...not to mention a impact player.

As a coach in a fast paced game, you don't meditate between plays thinking of who you could sneak in for a play or try to build experience. You are thinking about the next play. I agree though, that there have been times over the years that we could've pulled 1st string earlier or certain players in order to prevent injuries to them and build others. I will just say that overal, the staff uses their personnel well and used 30 of 66 this year. That's why you have to show up in practice and the weight room in the offseason. That's the proving ground.

Random thoughts on the south football program:

Congratulations to the team and coaching staff on an outstanding season. Dealing with personal tragedy and perservering to earn a berth in the state semi-finals was inspirational to all involved with the Rebel program. I'm certainly in no position to speak for Jake's family, but I believe all this team has done collectively and individually, honors Jake to the highest degree. May God continue to bless us in the memory of #54.

As for the Columbia game: slow start offensively for us set the tone. No excuses but overnight travel is a different routine for high school teams and may have left us a little outside our comfort zone. Defense played well enough to win. The interceptions were costly and seemed to me to be more on our WRs than on our QB. Columbia appeared to own the line of scrimmage in this one. I wonder if another offensive formation may have helped us generate a better running attack. Great plays in a game of few offensive gems were the fly route to Seth and the early screen to Clint. A couple of nice pass break-ups by soph Hutchins.

On who plays and why: I believe this coaching staff does a very good job of evaluating talent and placing players where they will help the team win games.Each position coach has input in who plays or doesn't at that particular position. QBs typically do not play defense because of fear of injury and probably because Coach Carter likes having them close by while the D is on the field to discuss what is working or is not. CP played defense not to bolster his stats for honors or scholly bids ,but because the schedule got tougher at year's end and because the play-offs are win or go home. He was simply a superior athelete that needed to be involved on that side of the ball to use his speed and aggressiveness. The notion that any of that was done to pump him up is hogwash.

On why there is not more game participation for player development: I have been somewhat critical. this is what JV games are for however we rarely get to play them unless against SH,TN HI, or D-B. In the past, I felt Coach Carter left 1st teamers in too long with games well in hand. Personal preference I guess in how sharp you feel your unit needs to be. In fairness this year there were simply not many opportunities, Volunteer and Central being the only 2 comfortable leads to play others. I believe George Quarles is a good model for a lot of high school coaching methods,but especially in this area of knowing when a game is in hand and then playing 2nd teamers for the future. Margins of victory are not as great perhaps but they seem to do a great job of reloading.

On coaching changes: This coaching staff will be the same for spring ball. The SH AD is looking. The Rebel staff like all of us is wondering how many years we have with "things the way they have been".South enrollment is sure to decline,but reclassification could be a good thing(see Greeneville's gold ball campaign and no D-:roflol:.

The current talent level is good enough to continue to challenge for championships over the next 3 years. Anyone suggesting that the talent level has dried up at South is greatly misinformed. this coaching staff is very close.They enjoy one another and work together well. Coach Weston is close to retirement but don't be surprised if he doesn't stay on beyond his time. He is all football and brings a toughness to the team that is needed. We are very fortunate to have these men together as a staff.

Next years team: QB is solid in part to Aaron's issues during the season. Heath proved he is more than able and he should get off to a fast start in his SR. year. Backup QB will be a big issue in spring ball and that will be settled then. A transfer may still be a possibility. Whether Rogers or Weaver, both of these will be starting at another position on the team as both are too valuable as athletes to sit. Coach Haynie is a master at developing linemen and will have his work cut out to build around Solt and Hyder. Linebackers will be of interest too as players like Phillips and Garvin are hard to reload. Griggs should lead the way. Defensive backs look good with all the experience that was gained this year. Hutchins,Wagner and Rowland will lead the way. The kicking game should only get stronger with Fenyves having a good year as a soph.

Next year: a goodteam but a tougher schedule. I look for Knox West to be solid at QB with Francis back. Greeneville tough with Spradlin and Story back, Daniel Boone even better with bothQBs back and what was a heavy JR.laden team,Central improving,Dobyns-Bennett back where we expect them,SH much improved,Volunteer better,Gate City much better as they also were JR heavy, and Crockett and Tn Hi to be significantly worse. In general a more challenging gauntlet than we faced this year.

Good luck Rebels in 2010 :roflol: REBEL NATION

There ARE stars among the 45-50 players that did not see significant playing time. This includes many in the list above. In fact, they are ALL stars for gutting out the season. Some just didn't get the chance to show what they could do. Hope they get a fair chance this year without preconcieved notions and false impressions formented at the water cooler.

Just what vast knowledge do you possess to be able to judge who deserves playing time and who doesn't?

There ARE stars among the 45-50 players that did not see significant playing time. This includes many in the list above. In fact, they are ALL stars for gutting out the season. Some just didn't get the chance to show what they could do. Hope they get a fair chance this year without preconcieved notions and false impressions formented at the water cooler.

Just what vast knowledge do you possess to be able to judge who deserves playing time and who doesn't?

What position would you like to dissect?

Random thoughts on the south football program:

Congratulations to the team and coaching staff on an outstanding season. Dealing with personal tragedy and perservering to earn a berth in the state semi-finals was inspirational to all involved with the Rebel program. I'm certainly in no position to speak for Jake's family, but I believe all this team has done collectively and individually, honors Jake to the highest degree. May God continue to bless us in the memory of #54.

As for the Columbia game: slow start offensively for us set the tone. No excuses but overnight travel is a different routine for high school teams and may have left us a little outside our comfort zone. Defense played well enough to win. The interceptions were costly and seemed to me to be more on our WRs than on our QB. Columbia appeared to own the line of scrimmage in this one. I wonder if another offensive formation may have helped us generate a better running attack. Great plays in a game of few offensive gems were the fly route to Seth and the early screen to Clint. A couple of nice pass break-ups by soph Hutchins.

On who plays and why: I believe this coaching staff does a very good job of evaluating talent and placing players where they will help the team win games.Each position coach has input in who plays or doesn't at that particular position. QBs typically do not play defense because of fear of injury and probably because Coach Carter likes having them close by while the D is on the field to discuss what is working or is not. CP played defense not to bolster his stats for honors or scholly bids ,but because the schedule got tougher at year's end and because the play-offs are win or go home. He was simply a superior athelete that needed to be involved on that side of the ball to use his speed and aggressiveness. The notion that any of that was done to pump him up is hogwash.

On why there is not more game participation for player development: I have been somewhat critical. this is what JV games are for however we rarely get to play them unless against SH,TN HI, or D-B. In the past, I felt Coach Carter left 1st teamers in too long with games well in hand. Personal preference I guess in how sharp you feel your unit needs to be. In fairness this year there were simply not many opportunities, Volunteer and Central being the only 2 comfortable leads to play others. I believe George Quarles is a good model for a lot of high school coaching methods,but especially in this area of knowing when a game is in hand and then playing 2nd teamers for the future. Margins of victory are not as great perhaps but they seem to do a great job of reloading.

On coaching changes: This coaching staff will be the same for spring ball. The SH AD is looking. The Rebel staff like all of us is wondering how many years we have with "things the way they have been".South enrollment is sure to decline,but reclassification could be a good thing(see Greeneville's gold ball campaign and no D-:lol:.

The current talent level is good enough to continue to challenge for championships over the next 3 years. Anyone suggesting that the talent level has dried up at South is greatly misinformed. this coaching staff is very close.They enjoy one another and work together well. Coach Weston is close to retirement but don't be surprised if he doesn't stay on beyond his time. He is all football and brings a toughness to the team that is needed. We are very fortunate to have these men together as a staff.

Next years team: QB is solid in part to Aaron's issues during the season. Heath proved he is more than able and he should get off to a fast start in his SR. year. Backup QB will be a big issue in spring ball and that will be settled then. A transfer may still be a possibility. Whether Rogers or Weaver, both of these will be starting at another position on the team as both are too valuable as athletes to sit. Coach Haynie is a master at developing linemen and will have his work cut out to build around Solt and Hyder. Linebackers will be of interest too as players like Phillips and Garvin are hard to reload. Griggs should lead the way. Defensive backs look good with all the experience that was gained this year. Hutchins,Wagner and Rowland will lead the way. The kicking game should only get stronger with Fenyves having a good year as a soph.

Next year: a goodteam but a tougher schedule. I look for Knox West to be solid at QB with Francis back. Greeneville tough with Spradlin and Story back, Daniel Boone even better with bothQBs back and what was a heavy JR.laden team,Central improving,Dobyns-Bennett back where we expect them,SH much improved,Volunteer better,Gate City much better as they also were JR heavy, and Crockett and Tn Hi to be significantly worse. In general a more challenging gauntlet than we faced this year.

Good luck Rebels in 2010 :wacko: REBEL NATION

bs

All I stated previously were the facts of who played a fair amount this season. I happen to feel those were the correct players, but utilization of them could have been different.

I asked anyone reading this thread to look at the roster and tell me who you think deserved a longer look and have got no takers, including you Jhilts...still waiting :wacko:

All I stated previously were the facts of who played a fair amount this season. I happen to feel those were the correct players, but utilization of them could have been different.

I asked anyone reading this thread to look at the roster and tell me who you think deserved a longer look and have got no takers, including you Jhilts...still waiting :wacko:

You never answered how you know who should have or should not have been playing. Did you watch every practice and workout? Have you seen every team member play their position a meaningful number of times? Unless you answered yes to both these, you know no more than me or anyone else.

They all deserve the same look or you might as well have just your 30 on the team. Some may like 30, but see how it works out for you. If I were coach and I am glad I'm not, I would make it very clear that all positions are open for 2010 and the players will have to work extra hard to earn playing time.

I have a severe aversion to naming names on here and will not in this case for a number of reasons:

1. I don't know who the stars will be next year or could have been this year and neither does anyone else.

2. There are some who are basically naming the starters for next year. How does that impact present and future team members? Will they lose incentive to try hard or maybe that future star will just say what's the use and not even join the team.

3. How does it effect the named "stars"? Do they feel they have their position locked up and skip that extra lap or that extra 10 pounds on the bar?

4. The impression is sent, and I have heard this from players and parents, that the ones that don't get meaningful playing time don't deserve to even wear the uniform. Not one player on the team should ever, ever be left with that impression.

Now, how is it you know all the young men on the roster and who should have been playing and who should not have been playing?

Good thoughts there. Since I'm out of the South loop of course, I can give you an outside perspective. I think over the years schools like, of course, DB, had talent out the wazoo and now you are seeing those kids seeking other programs because while they can see playing time as a senior for sure...you have a lot of kids who are moving schools and such because they are stars but there are stars above them who will play simply because they are better. Will South hit a bug where you start seeing kids transfer out not because they dislike South...but because they can go somewhere else and play? On one hand it shows that you have a program with a lot of talent, on the other it shows you have a lot of kids who want to play and take "the easy way" out. And no, not all of those kids moving are great, some thing they are great and can walk into a county school (ie Boone) and think they will play easy. Again, not saying this is how it is, but rather asking if you see this maybe happening in the future. Lots of schools in your areas so...if kids wanted to they could go to Central, East, North, or DB.

Also, perfectly correct about all the kids at South being stars. Again, couldn't imagine what you all went through and it takes a lot of character to keep moving forward like you all did this year.