Comments on All State Selections

DonCChatt

What, no comments on the all state sections? I would have expected some congratulatory comments, and even a little trash talking (I can't believe so-and-so made it, she was injured all season, why did so-and-so make it as a forward, she played defense all season, etc).

I guess the board is truly dead for the season.

What about this?

1. Why isn't there a list for D2-A? (or am I just missing it)

2. What about the differing size of the all state selections? For D2-AA, there were 23 picked. For A/AA, there were 30. For AAA, 55. The divisions aren't evenly sized, so I don't expect even numbers, but are these the right numbers? Given the small # of schools in D2-AA, are there too many listed? Does AAA really have 83% more schools/athletes, or how is this decided?

3. The last discussion that usually comes up is whether someone's selection should be based on this year's work (only), their body of work, club work, etc.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to all those honored!!!!

Your old buddy Canes will tell us that there should only by 11. I wish we could have an elite, super superior, "State All-Star" team, but that's just not possible with the numbers of schools, divisions and players. I actually am glad to see random numbers (I guess) in each position. I hate to see someone left out because of a pre-established limit. I am sure some deserving players (in some minds) are not on the list, but it looks like it is weighted toward post season players and teams and that is usually the case. It is where the most voters can see the most players and, while not perfect, there may just be no other way.

Your old buddy Canes will tell us that there should only by 11.

Imagine your daughter is on a college recruiting trip, to say, Penn State. She walks in and during the questions, she asks what awards she received in her senior year. "Well, I am humble but I was acknowledged as the All-State Goalkeeper for the State of Tennessee". The recruiting coach in the interview seems puzzled. "Are you sure? The player I interviewed just before you was the All-State Player from Tennessee, and I had one last week who shared "she" was the All-State GK".

First, you look like your having a little trouble with the truth, then, it almost appears that you may e bending it. Finally after a long explanation, it surfaces that you were one of 12 GKs who were recognized as All-State. Seems a little watered down, don't you think?

Not really, 12 girls will get 12 scholarships at 12 schools of their choice. There is only one Heisman winner, but every player, every coach, everybody knows their name, record and most have seen them play. I would only hope the Penn coach was more knowledgeable of high school awards and I actually bet he/she is. Why did he speak to my daughter in the first place if he did not know her talent and history.

Don't misunderstand, I too wish there was one true "All-State Team" and my daughter could be very, very proud to have made that. I would be okay, if she was 2nd team all-state or third team all-state, but TN does not do it that way. Why they think there are 5 all-state Division IV (camo to protect the innocent) GK's is beyond me. Lets have 6 or let's have 4 or have a different number each year. I really don't think anyone is hurt by the numbers and many gain a benefit. The girls that truly excel get more that one award for their resume and when the Penn coach asks my daughter about the other girls, I hope she can say it was my third year to be recognized as well all region and EVP of this event and all tournament team of that event and so on........... While 5 or 7 or 12 may be all-state, they are not all equal in their abilities, but equal in the recognition. Let's be proud for them and let the Penn coach make his decision on their total package, including academics, of which my daughter is not "all-state". ;)

Your old buddy Canes will tell us that there should only by 11.

Imagine your daughter is on a college recruiting trip, to say, Penn State. She walks in and during the questions, she asks what awards she received in her senior year. "Well, I am humble but I was acknowledged as the All-State Goalkeeper for the State of Tennessee". The recruiting coach in the interview seems puzzled. "Are you sure? The player I interviewed just before you was the All-State Player from Tennessee, and I had one last week who shared "she" was the All-State GK".

First, you look like your having a little trouble with the truth, then, it almost appears that you may e bending it. Finally after a long explanation, it surfaces that you were one of 12 GKs who were recognized as All-State. Seems a little watered down, don't you think?

College coaches aren't going to pick you solely on your accolades, they want to see you play. When I was a college coach and saw "ODP" or "All State" on a profile, it didn't mean as much as me going to see them in a tournament. It is nice "frosting" on top, but you gotta have good ingredients in the cake that is under that frosting.

Exactly what G said. It is a great honor, but no college coach is going to rely on HS awards as his barometer for a player. I've always looked at it as feathers in your cap. By the way, Major League baseball had 72 All-Stars this year. All-State is simply recognition of a level of play IMO. What would be the best '10' players would always be subject to debate.

Well. All it needed was a kick start, eh?

I'm not right. It is nothing more than one opinion. Reflecting over all of this, I guess what I am trying to gather is what remains sacred here? You want your daughter to make All State, as do I. Why? Likely the reason Calipari went to Kentucky. Coaching THE BASKETBALL COLLEGE has or (had?) status. IOW, we value All-State because when (where) we grew up, it had significant value. What about today? Well, we seem to have already divided a State Champion so many times it is now close to a Participation Award. And everyone wants an award i the east and in the central and in the west? Isn't that why we have All-Region? Seems like we need to hold at least one thing sacred or of greater value, shouldn't we?

Re recruiting. Yep, every coach puts a different weight of value on everything. Playing in front of them is huge. But if you got an All-State award along with 435 other players, do you really think you are one of the top players in the state or a good soccer player? If you won a state championship, it doesn't signify whether you are the best or worst player on that team but your still list I am a state champion, do you not? I would think you would want someone leaving our state to represent us to have some value to that title and represent us proud. No?

And dog, Erica Walsh is the head dog at Penn and likely values ODP (ran several national teams and is an assistant to our national team). SHE has done a great job at Penn State and my point would be that when "we" think of All-State, its likely not what is practiced today. I would hate to see any player put on the spot in an interview and the way things are done here, for a lot of reason, could be very embarrassing.

.... I would hate to see any player put on the spot in an interview and the way things are done here, for a lot of reason, could be very embarrassing.

435 is a bit of an exaggeration. And being mentioned All-State is no reason for embarrasement. They put themselves in the postition.....the coaches put them on the list. Having been in the interviews, I can't imagine a coach that hasn't done his homework and put someone on the spot for this recognition. They too place players on an ALL-everthing ballot, they know how it works.

I am not sure about most states, but states I am familar with (Georgia, Florida) list all-state by classification so you end up with the same issue of a ton of players listed. Florida names three teams and honorable mention at each classification. I believe that works to 264 players. At the end of the day, what does it really matter? TN soccer has many more egregious sins than naming too many all-state players.