Bands playing during game action..

EarlVolFan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I love how people blame false starts on the band. And in most places, the band kids get dogged for being...well band kids. lol And one person posted that he couldn't hear the QB and ACTUALLY had to watch the ball. Um....I'm no football expert...but isn't that the whole point of the game? Isn't that what you're supposed to do anyway???

Anywho...I spoke with a member of TSSAA today, and air horns, cow bells, shakers...all that stuff is LEGAL and is allowed. The only time it will be stopped is if the officials deem it distracting to the OFFICIATING....not the game...officiating. If bands continuously play their horns during plays, they can be warned. After the warning can come an un-sportsman-like penalty. But those don't happen very often. You have to be making a LOT of noise for a ref to say anything.

I bet any opponent of UT wishes they could get the 100K+ fans to stop yelling and singing Rocky Top while they are on the field too...but you can rest assured that's not going to happen! :mrgreen:

Your talking yelling and singing. UTs band won't be playing while the play is in action. That's the difference. Ask Ole Miss about piping in artificial noise. They tried and were stopped.

Air horns are not allowed. I've seen them removed by the school administration.

I'm pretty sure that yelling by 100K fans at Neyland is a LOT louder than a 100-150pc band at an opened ended high school stadium....

As for the airhorns....school admin may ban them, but they are NOT illegal as far as TSSAA officials are concerned. I have the e-mail from TSSAA if you would like a copy of it.

Bands playing during live ball situations is illegal in Georgia. So are air horns and whistles.

http://www.ghsa.net/football-rules-procedures

I personally wish they would do the same here in Tennessee. I attend games to watch football, I love the atmosphere of bands between plays but wish they would be quiet when either team has the ball. College Players and NFL players don't have to deal with the distraction so I don't see why High School Kids should have to adjust to it. The Band would scream murder if the players came out and practiced punts and pass plays during the half time show and interfered with their formations etc. :thumb:

That being said I love genuine crowd noise.

I'm sure UTs students are louder but it's real noise. It's not artificial. The band would not be allowed to play. That's why they stop before the play starts.

Sure... Copy and post the e mail.

Name:BullDawgGirl03

Subject: FEEDBACK FORM Air Horns

Email:

Are air horns illegal at high school football games? I have read some postings where air horns will be present this Friday at the state championships, and I was just wondering if they were legal?

They are not illegal, unless an official deems that they are making it difficult to officiate.

Mark

Mark Reeves

Assistant Executive Director

Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association

615-889-6740 (phone)

615-889-0544 (fax)

From: tnspiker@gmail.com [mailto] On Behalf Of Shonnie Speicher

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 12:12 AM

To: Mark Reeves

Subject: Fwd: FEEDBACK FORM Air Horns

Well, I got to experience what we've been talking about here at the Maryville - White Station state championship game last night in Cookeville and it was very enlightening.

First of all, let me say that White Station had the superior team with two superb athletes that the Rebels had no answer for and deserved the win last night. However, their band had far more participants than their football team (and maybe larger than the group of fans they brought). They had more bass drums and tubas than any band, including UT's, than I have ever seen.

They played pretty much the entire game, especially loudly when Maryville had the ball, and I believe, responsible for a couple of false start penalties when Maryville was lined up in front of them. For the first time I've ever noticed, Maryville's band played during game action, but wasn't able to get much volume in the large Tennessee Tech stadium. I guess they finally decided that if they couldn't beat them, they would join them.

What was the net effect? The fans were taken out of the game. Maryville's fans outnumbered White Station's 10-1, but there is no need to yell and make noise when no one can hear you due to the 300+ piece band playing across the stadium from you at full volume.

So what's the solution? Should Maryville and other schools like it ramp up their bands to play thundering tunes during game action by the other team to remain competitive with the metro schools?

I hope not. I think if this continues, many fans will choose to stay home, since there is no purpose to their presence, other than to watch a game with a loud dance track. This will hurt the schools and the TSSAA where it hurts - the pocketbook.

That's why it's time for the TSSAA to take action and match the NCAA and NFL (and Georgia High School) regulations before football games are about the bands and not the teams and the fans.

Somebody need to get this ball rolling.....

Well, I got to experience what we've been talking about here at the Maryville - White Station state championship game last night in Cookeville and it was very enlightening.

First of all, let me say that White Station had the superior team with two superb athletes that the Rebels had no answer for and deserved the win last night. However, their band had far more participants than their football team (and maybe larger than the group of fans they brought). They had more bass drums and tubas than any band, including UT's, than I have ever seen.

They played pretty much the entire game, especially loudly when Maryville had the ball, and I believe, responsible for a couple of false start penalties when Maryville was lined up in front of them. For the first time I've ever noticed, Maryville's band played during game action, but wasn't able to get much volume in the large Tennessee Tech stadium. I guess they finally decided that if they couldn't beat them, they would join them.

What was the net effect? The fans were taken out of the game. Maryville's fans outnumbered White Station's 10-1, but there is no need to yell and make noise when no one can hear you due to the 300+ piece band playing across the stadium from you at full volume.

So what's the solution? Should Maryville and other schools like it ramp up their bands to play thundering tunes during game action by the other team to remain competitive with the metro schools?

I hope not. I think if this continues, many fans will choose to stay home, since there is no purpose to their presence, other than to watch a game with a loud dance track. This will hurt the schools and the TSSAA where it hurts - the pocketbook.

That's why it's time for the TSSAA to take action and match the NCAA and NFL (and Georgia High School) regulations before football games are about the bands and not the teams and the fans.

Somebody need to get this ball rolling.....

I agree that TSSAA needs to take action, but us out here in West TN are use to this. This is how EVERY Memphis band is. They may only bring 10 fans, but most of the time they are going to have a Tuba/Low Brass and Percussion ensemble to be with them. We have complained for YEARS to no resolve. So while I say yes go ahead and try, I can promise you that just because it was Maryville on the other side, that's not going to mean much.

I don't mean to sound harsh or mean, but just because it's an East TN team playing a Memphis team, that's not gonna mean much. And if it does, that's crap because all us West TN teams that have to play the Memphis teams have complained for YEARS!

You are the biggest idiot in the state if you think that people are not going to come to the state championship game because the band might play during game action. C'mon man get your head out of the sand.

Bands playing during live ball situations is illegal in Georgia. So are air horns and whistles.

http://www.ghsa.net/football-rules-procedures

I personally wish they would do the same here in Tennessee. I attend games to watch football, I love the atmosphere of bands between plays but wish they would be quiet when either team has the ball. College Players and NFL players don't have to deal with the distraction so I don't see why High School Kids should have to adjust to it. The Band would scream murder if the players came out and practiced punts and pass plays during the half time show and interfered with their formations etc. :hungry:

That being said I love genuine crowd noise.

Could not have said it better. The band is there because there is a football game in progress. Know your role and shut up the playing while action is on the field. Timeouts...between plays...halftime... that's when you should be saw and heard.

As for the poster that mentioned the Alcoa band disrupting....... :wacko: They only have 15 to 20 members in the band. They can barely hear themselves.

Could not have said it better. The band is there because there is a football game in progress. Know your role and shut up the playing while action is on the field. Timeouts...between plays...halftime... that's when you should be saw and heard.

As for the poster that mentioned the Alcoa band disrupting....... :oops: They only have 15 to 20 members in the band. They can barely hear themselves.

I beg your pardon: We're up to around 45 members now! :wacko:

I can take the bands playing, what I can't take are the cheerleaders throwing those little footballs during plays! I can't tell you how many times I've been hit in the face because I was actually trying to watch the play instead of catch a little football! :hungry:

I beg your pardon: We're up to around 45 members now! :thumb:

I can take the bands playing, what I can't take are the cheerleaders throwing those little footballs during plays! I can't tell you how many times I've been hit in the face because I was actually trying to watch the play instead of catch a little football! :geek:

It's called multi-tasking Alias.....

"BullDawgGirl03 : I agree that TSSAA needs to take action, but us out here in West TN are use to this. This is how EVERY Memphis band is. They may only bring 10 fans, but most of the time they are going to have a Tuba/Low Brass and Percussion ensemble to be with them. We have complained for YEARS to no resolve. So while I say yes go ahead and try, I can promise you that just because it was Maryville on the other side, that's not going to mean much.

I don't mean to sound harsh or mean, but just because it's an East TN team playing a Memphis team, that's not gonna mean much. And if it does, that's crap because all us West TN teams that have to play the Memphis teams have complained for YEARS!"

I understand your frustration, but here's what we do...contact your school and make sure this gets passed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 3:51 PM

To: TSSAA

Subject: Bands playing during game action in football contests

Mr. xxxxxx,

I believe that bands playing during game action in Tennessee High School football games has become an escalating problem that unfairly affects the play of the participating teams and reduces the enjoyment of the game by spectators. Moreover, this practice has been disallowed by the NCAA, the NFL, and many state high school associations, including Georgia.

What would be the process of addressing this issue in the TSSAA?

RESPONSE FROM TSSAA:

A proposal would need to be submitted by a member school to our Board of Control.