scott smith resigns as topper headcoach

sissygirl

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His Dad does know his stuff. You are correct. Jeremy will eventually get there I feel. Like you said, we all have our opinions. I like Jeremy a lot. He's great for Boone and Boone is great for him. I was just stating my opinion of what I know of his knowledge of the game at this point in his career. And what I know of him while he was here. He looked lost in the second half of our playoff game with you. But, that can happen to the best of them I guess. We were keeping tabs with your game in the playoffs with Tn High too. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why he didn't take a knee at the end of that one. The ONLY chance the Vikings had at the end was for Boone to score the TD. I guess he just got caught up in the emotions of the game that time. But, he's a good one and will only get better. I've seen Stacy make some "weird" calls too. Especially early in his career. But, he's like a fine wine, he's getting better with age. Good luck to you guys next year.

I don't know about the end of the game. I, like you, thought he would take the knee. I think the momentum was going so strong that he might as well keep running it. I don't believe Shropshire had a fumble all year and he was getting 5 to 6 yards a play down near the goal line, plus it taking about 4 to 5 guys to tackle him...momentum could really be a factor against TN High and make them feel desperate. If you are up there, then just keep drilling it home until you get the TD. A score did put TN High in a desperate place, since I think we were up by 9 by that time and they couldn't win UNLESS they got 2 TD or a TD and a field goal. I think with the time left, the only way you would get the TD was a long throw and to be honest, that game not one deep ball got down there so you can sit 2 FS back there and just let you catch it if you want, we still can get you stopped and run more of the clock. So you were left with what, about 45 seconds to get two scores, plus you'd have to get that onside kick. A lot of perfection was needed to get that done, and I think any team in the country would be hard put to do something like that. You saw the end result, so it didn't matter since he did do that. I guess when you are down there that close, might as well stick it end but I do see your point of view on it. Also, what if some TN High players decided they HAD to get the ball in the victory set and went for knees? I'd rather someone get hurt trying to run the ball in than a senior feeling desperate go and get a free shot. And no, TN High was full of class this year so I doubt they would do it, but it could happen.

No, what I'm saying is with less than a minute to go and Tn High not having any timeouts left, all you should do is take the knee. The only way Tn High had a shot at the game was for Boone to run it in and miss the XP making it an 8 pt game. Game was over until Boone scored. I actually think Stubbs knew that and let them score.

If he knew that and would have let us score, he would have told everyone to back off and not touch him. I was at the game and the TN High defense was winded and couldn't stop him. They ran the same play 8 times in a row. You say it was a bad coaching decision but it worked out? The "sense" thing was to take the knee, but that TD also took a lot more wind out of TN High. Yeah, they had a chance, but the odds were stacked even better on our part. What if we snapped the knee snap? What if someone ended up getting hurt? What if what if what if? What if we would have stopped St Clair on one of those TD's during one of the games, then it is closer? We can always sit back and ask what if my friend. And if he is such a bad coach....you have to admit he did find ways to beat the two teams that South lost to this year, TN High and the other DB.

Just going back and forth with the argument, lightheartedly. Again, I would have taken the knee but it all worked out perfectly. TN High hadn't thrown the ball all night long, and when they did the last play of the game, Boone intercepted it easily. We made them desperate. Maybe he is thinking about other things than you or me are, who knows. Oh and to an earlier response, good luck to your team as well. If anyone deserves some time to sit back and have some time to reflect on their year and finally have some mourning time, it is the community, players, and coaches at South. Nothing but respect coming from the people of Gray buddy.

Hey WaCo.... Remember when I was shot and spit at by some Redneck for mentioning Stacy Carter for the Science Hill job? Ha ha, I don't see anymore shootin' and spittin' now. :thumb::lol:

Yep,I'm the Redneck raised right in the same neighborhood as you...And at least someone wants our Coach...You guy's couldn't pay Science Hill to take Barney..lol :thumb::blink:

Hey WaCo.... Remember when I was shot and spit at by some Redneck for mentioning Stacy Carter for the Science Hill job? Ha ha, I don't see anymore shootin' and spittin' now. :thumb::thumb:

Yep,I'm the Redneck raised right in the same neighborhood as you...And at least someone wants our Coach...You guy's couldn't pay Science Hill to take Barney..lol :lol::blink:

Now thats funny!!

funny-cats-a10.jpg

The OL coach was not a hold over but he was hired by Coach Smith and as far as questioning things in practice it is his job. Since you have coaching aspirations maybe you can tell us all how running plays can work when the blocking scheme calls for pocket protection?.

You mean a draw play? Steve Spurrier's whole offense basically revolved around that concept when he was at Florida. He'd run the lead draw if the LBs and S were dropping off or he'd fake the lead draw and throw if they were coming up hard to stop it. Either way, the OL would just set up for pass protection to while the back would find the hole. Lots of teams block their draws like that. I don't see what's so shocking or unrealistic about this idea...

Maybe you can tell us all how ANY play can work when your play allows for one or sometime two players to go UNBLOCKED even when the players are pleading their case.

You mean an option play, like a zone read? That's WHY you run options: to run the ball without having to block 1 or 2 guys! Again, this is not an earth shattering concept...

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/orego ... e#more-745

http://smartfootball.com/defending-spre ... eer-option

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/the-z ... on#more-85

http://sky.prohosting.com/cbbrown/2005/ ... -read.html

All anyone had to do was sit in the stands for three years and you could see that the offense he had running around in his mind was not practical. The confusion that was evident for three years on offense leads to the frustration that must have boiled over.

The offense was "practical." Smith proved that at Franklin, and he proved it when coaches from all around this part of the U.S. were hitting him up for information on the cool new ideas he was SUCCESSFULLY running there. Whatever Smith's downfall was at SH, it was not Xs and Os.

Now, the execution of it was bad, though. For whatever reason, their kids just were not prepared to play football. I think the results would've been the same in any system with fundamentals as bad as what SH has shown over the past few years. If your players don't know where to go, what to do, or even how to do it, then your team is going to struggle. That's usually the result of bad position coaching, but the head coach is ultimately the one who should be held accountable for everything, good or bad.

Bottom line is that unless you lived it day after day for three years then you can't really appreciate what the coaches and players had to deal with.

Whats done is done and there is no use in rehashing everything but in the end the best decision was made. I look forward to seeing who the next coach will be and will continue to support the Toppers in any way I can.

This is true, and I'll stop here. I don't know Smith personally. I wasn't at practices. I didn't watch every SH game. I don't know every detail of what was going on behind closed doors. All I'm saying is that people are looking at Smith like the guy was a clueless moron who had no clue what he was doing. That's just not right. You don't win championships or get invited to speak at coaching clnics across the southeast by being an idiot.

I can't vouch for his personality or what really went down at SH, but a lot of stuff here makes me think he might have been the victim of broken promises and backstabbing assistants as well as his own hubris. I'm sure that SH promised him the world when they brought him in, but it sounds like, for whatever reason, he wasn't given the authority or resources to rebuild the program the way he wanted it once he got there. That happens to HS coaches all the time. I know plenty of coaches in other states who've lived through that firsthand, and it has nothing to do with talent, players, or the abilities of the head coach.

But either way, what's done is done. I wish Smith well wherever he goes just as I wish the future coach of SH, whoever he is, a lot of success.

Who do you think the back stabbing assistants were on staff? As stated/shared in an earlier post, the new coach deserves to build a core group of his selected assistants once they have been hired by the BOE. If not this will continue to be a problem!

The OL coach was not a hold over but he was hired by Coach Smith and as far as questioning things in practice it is his job. Since you have coaching aspirations maybe you can tell us all how running plays can work when the blocking scheme calls for pocket protection?.

You mean a draw play? Steve Spurrier's whole offense basically revolved around that concept when he was at Florida. He'd run the lead draw if the LBs and S were dropping off or he'd fake the lead draw and throw if they were coming up hard to stop it. Either way, the OL would just set up for pass protection to while the back would find the hole. Lots of teams block their draws like that. I don't see what's so shocking or unrealistic about this idea...

Maybe you can tell us all how ANY play can work when your play allows for one or sometime two players to go UNBLOCKED even when the players are pleading their case.

You mean an option play, like a zone read? That's WHY you run options: to run the ball without having to block 1 or 2 guys! Again, this is not an earth shattering concept...

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/orego ... e#more-745

http://smartfootball.com/defending-spre ... eer-option

http://smartfootball.com/run-game/the-z ... on#more-85

http://sky.prohosting.com/cbbrown/2005/ ... -read.html

All anyone had to do was sit in the stands for three years and you could see that the offense he had running around in his mind was not practical. The confusion that was evident for three years on offense leads to the frustration that must have boiled over.

The offense was "practical." Smith proved that at Franklin, and he proved it when coaches from all around this part of the U.S. were hitting him up for information on the cool new ideas he was SUCCESSFULLY running there. Whatever Smith's downfall was at SH, it was not Xs and Os.

Now, the execution of it was bad, though. For whatever reason, their kids just were not prepared to play football. I think the results would've been the same in any system with fundamentals as bad as what SH has shown over the past few years. If your players don't know where to go, what to do, or even how to do it, then your team is going to struggle. That's usually the result of bad position coaching, but the head coach is ultimately the one who should be held accountable for everything, good or bad.

Bottom line is that unless you lived it day after day for three years then you can't really appreciate what the coaches and players had to deal with.

Whats done is done and there is no use in rehashing everything but in the end the best decision was made. I look forward to seeing who the next coach will be and will continue to support the Toppers in any way I can.

This is true, and I'll stop here. I don't know Smith personally. I wasn't at practices. I didn't watch every SH game. I don't know every detail of what was going on behind closed doors. All I'm saying is that people are looking at Smith like the guy was a clueless moron who had no clue what he was doing. That's just not right. You don't win championships or get invited to speak at coaching clnics across the southeast by being an idiot.

I can't vouch for his personality or what really went down at SH, but a lot of stuff here makes me think he might have been the victim of broken promises and backstabbing assistants as well as his own hubris. I'm sure that SH promised him the world when they brought him in, but it sounds like, for whatever reason, he wasn't given the authority or resources to rebuild the program the way he wanted it once he got there. That happens to HS coaches all the time. I know plenty of coaches in other states who've lived through that firsthand, and it has nothing to do with talent, players, or the abilities of the head coach.

But either way, what's done is done. I wish Smith well wherever he goes just as I wish the future coach of SH, whoever he is, a lot of success.

............anyway, we do wish you the best of luck coach :thumb:

I don't know about the end of the game. I, like you, thought he would take the knee. I think the momentum was going so strong that he might as well keep running it. I don't believe Shropshire had a fumble all year and he was getting 5 to 6 yards a play down near the goal line, plus it taking about 4 to 5 guys to tackle him...momentum could really be a factor against TN High and make them feel desperate. If you are up there, then just keep drilling it home until you get the TD. A score did put TN High in a desperate place, since I think we were up by 9 by that time and they couldn't win UNLESS they got 2 TD or a TD and a field goal. I think with the time left, the only way you would get the TD was a long throw and to be honest, that game not one deep ball got down there so you can sit 2 FS back there and just let you catch it if you want, we still can get you stopped and run more of the clock. So you were left with what, about 45 seconds to get two scores, plus you'd have to get that onside kick. A lot of perfection was needed to get that done, and I think any team in the country would be hard put to do something like that. You saw the end result, so it didn't matter since he did do that. I guess when you are down there that close, might as well stick it end but I do see your point of view on it. Also, what if some TN High players decided they HAD to get the ball in the victory set and went for knees? I'd rather someone get hurt trying to run the ball in than a senior feeling desperate go and get a free shot. And no, TN High was full of class this year so I doubt they would do it, but it could happen.

No, what I'm saying is with less than a minute to go and Tn High not having any timeouts left, all you should do is take the knee. The only way Tn High had a shot at the game was for Boone to run it in and miss the XP making it an 8 pt game. Game was over until Boone scored. I actually think Stubbs knew that and let them score.

If he knew that and would have let us score, he would have told everyone to back off and not touch him. I was at the game and the TN High defense was winded and couldn't stop him. They ran the same play 8 times in a row. You say it was a bad coaching decision but it worked out? The "sense" thing was to take the knee, but that TD also took a lot more wind out of TN High. Yeah, they had a chance, but the odds were stacked even better on our part. What if we snapped the knee snap? What if someone ended up getting hurt? What if what if what if? What if we would have stopped St Clair on one of those TD's during one of the games, then it is closer? We can always sit back and ask what if my friend. And if he is such a bad coach....you have to admit he did find ways to beat the two teams that South lost to this year, TN High and the other DB.

Just going back and forth with the argument, lightheartedly. Again, I would have taken the knee but it all worked out perfectly. TN High hadn't thrown the ball all night long, and when they did the last play of the game, Boone intercepted it easily. We made them desperate. Maybe he is thinking about other things than you or me are, who knows. Oh and to an earlier response, good luck to your team as well. If anyone deserves some time to sit back and have some time to reflect on their year and finally have some mourning time, it is the community, players, and coaches at South. Nothing but respect coming from the people of Gray buddy.

Okay, I'll be honest here, it didn't even occur to the Boone staff to take the knee. I was just pulling the old "Stacy is smarter than Jeremy" card. Shouldn't have. They both are fine coaches. I'll shut up. Good luck next season. I really think you guys will be right there.