Congrats to MUS State Champs!!!

VolunteerCoach

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUS an excellent team and deserving of any honors that come their way. I can't recall seeing a team that executed as flawlessly as they did. I'm afraid the national rankings are going to underrate them because they come from a state that's not really one of the HS football powerhouses (as opposed to Say Ca, Fl, Tx, or Oh), they don't come from the top football area in that state, but mainly because one look really doesn't do them justice.

MBA has always prided itself on producung teams that were more than the sum of its parts. MUS is the only group I've seen that managed to beat MBA in that field. While they have very good athletes, they really don't have a lot of players that jump off the tape at you. I suspect you need to follow them for a season to get a real appreciation for just how well coached they are, and how well they execute a game plan on the field. It's truly delightful in a very unpleasant way (I'm an MBA man, remember) to watch them play: they just don't seem to make any mistakes. I was highly impressed.

if we start evaluating 2-year runs, this one might be tops from among the ones I have in my head.

BA '95-'96

MBA '99-'00

MUS with the win over S. Panola might give it the edge here. I think among all of the great out-of-state wins achieved by MBA, BA, MUS, et al, that one is the biggest. Bolles was (and still is) an elite FL team, and the asterisk from '00 works both ways (i.e., the hurricane/monsoon conditions it was played in in Jax before the eventual Bolles forfeit)...BA had a 2-year unbeaten streak in 5A, pre-split, and I'm sure they had some quality out-of-state win in there.

The teamwork, game planning, bench coaching, football smarts, talent...just a supreme synergy that worked for this group to produce a fantastic squad. It still amazes me that they lost 9 (yes NINE!) starters on defense from last year.

Having watched the SP game, you could just see all those factors in play. Let me tell you this has turned into one of the better South Panola teams of the last few years. They went on a tear after the MUS game and haven't been slowed since. A lot of what MUS did to them on both sides of the ball had an impact on how the SP staff approached the rest of the year and adjustments they made on both offense (some major changes) and a little on defense.

If SP wins tonight in their state championship game, I think you could probably say MUS was the real catalyst for them winning their championship. Without having to deal with MUS, I'm not real sure the SP coaches would have been forced to make the changes they needed to make to put them on the fast track to winning state.

The teamwork, game planning, bench coaching, football smarts, talent...just a supreme synergy that worked for this group to produce a fantastic squad. It still amazes me that they lost 9 (yes NINE!) starters on defense from last year.

Having watched the SP game, you could just see all those factors in play. Let me tell you this has turned into one of the better South Panola teams of the last few years. They went on a tear after the MUS game and haven't been slowed since. A lot of what MUS did to them on both sides of the ball had an impact on how the SP staff approached the rest of the year and adjustments they made on both offense (some major changes) and a little on defense.

If SP wins tonight in their state championship game, I think you could probably say MUS was the real catalyst for them winning their championship. Without having to deal with MUS, I'm not real sure the SP coaches would have been forced to make the changes they needed to make to put them on the fast track to winning state.

Bingo!!!

I keep up with, and post on the Mississippi HS football forum..... Man, you should have read all the despicable and negative comments from a few of the South Panola fanatics, after they lost to "them lil' ol' (football) boys from a PRIVATE school from TENNESSEE!!!!" They wanted to run the coach out of town, on a rail!

I cautioned the SP fans before that MUS-SP game, that MUS would not be a push-over win for South Panola (most of their fans predicted a SP blowout of MUS), and that MUS was fully capable of defeating the mighty South Panola Tigers.

Well, after the "unthinkable" happened... I commented on the Mississippi forum, that SP's loss to MUS was not an "upset" or a bad loss at all! MUS exposed many kinks in SP's armor. SP should learn and improve and, as a result, become a much better team.

Fast forward some 7 or 8 weeks later...(I've see SP play about 3 games, since the MUS loss)

MUS is State Champs. South Panola's offense (their biggest nemesis vs MUS) and team are DRAMATICALLY improved, and SP is playing for Mississippi's inaugural 6A State Title tonight--vs Oak Grove!! SP fans have gotten over their "embarrassing" MUS loss and, in fact, readily acknowledge the positive changed that came about, as a direct result of SP's loss to MUS.

So, TrojanFan, I join you in saluting MUS-- as State Champions, and for being the real catalyst for South Panola's dramatic improvement -- improvement that will most likely culminate in a State Championship for the Tigers!

TrojanFan,

MUS' legacy is now official:

---------------------------------------

Final: South Panola 56 --- Oak Grove 14.

Congratulations to the SP Tigers-- Mississippi's inaugural 6A Champs!!

From a Spartan fan here, Congrats to MUS. What a year !

Let's hope for a three-pete.

Let's not. Let's get back with the general scheme of the cosmos and return the big trophy to its rightful home on West End.

For that 2010 big gold ball to show up at a West End trophy case means MBA will win the championship.

So as the 2009 season ends what is the outlook for the 2010 MBA football team minus #23 and and the other 20 plus seniors?

Congrats to MUS, you deserve to be called DII Champs.

Wished we could have seen an MUS vs EHS or MUS vs BA sometime during the past year.

For that 2010 big gold ball to show up at a West End trophy case means MBA will win the championship.

So as the 2009 season ends what is the outlook for the 2010 MBA football team minus #23 and and the other 20 plus seniors?

First off, congrats to MUS. Heartbreaking loss for MBA after the comeback season.

Fitz will be hard to replace. There's no questioning that. However, while it was seemingly a senior heavy team, with more than 22 seniors, not all of them started. MBA will return several starters from both sides of the ball. I believe at least 3 full time starters on defense and at least 2 full time starters on offense. This does not include several others who have significant playing experience.