So. Pitts Pirates in 2010

OLD PIRATE

Old Pirate says the 09 team was talented but not as good as 08, which was not as good as 07. Hum......recon that shows a slow decline......................................................now the question is in what.......................................................................Fellers OP posted months ago about that weight house looking ghostly. Nows it easy for OP to sees part of the problem, when OP sees the skillet slinger has bigger guns than the Pirates, figure some youngons is being out worked by the skillet slinger.

The comment the boys have a bad taste in their mouth, hum sounds familar. The Pirates left the creekbank in 08 with a terrible taste also. Now did them more physical teams learn the youngons from the Pitt anything? Don't recon OP knows, but "IF" history repeats itself then probably NOT. Looks as if the Pirates have become solely dependable on out running every body.

Think........a minute fellers, has the Pirates ever won a State Championship w/o a smash mouth running game?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Pirate says the 09 team was talented but not as good as 08, which was not as good as 07. Hum......recon that shows a slow decline......................................................now the question is in what.......................................................................Fellers OP posted months ago about that weight house looking ghostly. Nows it easy for OP to sees part of the problem, when OP sees the skillet slinger has bigger guns than the Pirates, figure some youngons is being out worked by the skillet slinger.

The comment the boys have a bad taste in their mouth, hum sounds familar. The Pirates left the creekbank in 08 with a terrible taste also. Now did them more physical teams learn the youngons from the Pitt anything? Don't recon OP knows, but "IF" history repeats itself then probably NOT. Looks as if the Pirates have become solely dependable on out running every body.

Think........a minute fellers, has the Pirates ever won a State Championship w/o a smash mouth running game?

I agree OP. I have said all year that we weren't as good as the 07 and 08 teams. We were slightly better than the 06 team because the 09 team had a little better senior leadership. Now it is time to bury that spread playbook and get back playing "Pirate Football" whether it be wing-t, Power-I or side-saddle singlewing. The running backs are there to run the football and throw when needed. Defensive line will need better techinique. I sat next to the living legend coach at two games (Jasper & UC) who used to coach our lines and both occasions he could not get over the poor technique by our line on both sides of the ball. I think SP will be pretty good but how good is unknown. Spring practice will let us fans know at least a glimpse of how good they could be. Yes, they need to hit the weights and hit them hard.

I agree OP. I have said all year that we weren't as good as the 07 and 08 teams. We were slightly better than the 06 team because the 09 team had a little better senior leadership. Now it is time to bury that spread playbook and get back playing "Pirate Football" whether it be wing-t, Power-I or side-saddle singlewing. The running backs are there to run the football and throw when needed. Defensive line will need better techinique. I sat next to the living legend coach at two games (Jasper & UC) who used to coach our lines and both occasions he could not get over the poor technique by our line on both sides of the ball. I think SP will be pretty good but how good is unknown. Spring practice will let us fans know at least a glimpse of how good they could be. Yes, they need to hit the weights and hit them hard.

Old Pirate don't really think formation has much to do with a powerful running game. Fact is the trenches is where it all starts and ultimately where failure sets in. The OL has some pretty good looking fellers coming back but the 09 team as a whole appears the weakest in the last 4 yrs. Don't figure next years team will be anywhere near the 07 team in strength either.

Well let's just say what's what. About lack of this and that,and more of this and that. 2006 had maybe 6 seniors 3 of those where hurt when the 06' playoffs started. Leadership can come from any class. And it has around here as well. Look at the jr's. of 07'. Several outstanding leaders to choose from. I think a blend of outstanding player's class withstanding makes for champion's. Wev'e not had consistant great leader's class to class. Don't get me wrong senior's should provide leadership no doubt. Play on the field is where leadership begin's. The right blend of talented classes is what brought us our last gold-ball,and it wasn't just senior leadership that brought that. And captain's are the young men who make plays and the team gets behind them. That has everything to do with being a leader.Captainship should not be barred from any classman. Pehaps our line play wasn't what it's been, as you stated OP. There are other area's where we lacked as well. Such as...When UC suckered us in to play the dive,and then pitched out,with much success. That's a discipline to contain outside. So we have many places where we could have executed better. I just hope we come together and play as 1 in 2010. In all phases of the game.

Such as...When UC suckered us in to play the dive,and then pitched out,with much success. That's a discipline to contain outside.quote]

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................................and that is the beauty of the veer offense.

You can go all night with 3 yards and a cloud of dust as they say, then all it takes is the right read and bad containment by the defense to bust a big one. MC may not be able to beat SP in the coming years, especially after next, but if things stay the same the freshman at MC, #11 is going to be a special player running that offense.

The 2010 Pirates need to look at how the 2007 team approached each game 2 years ago. They did not overlook anyone and played hard whether it was a team they should beat or a team that was equally as good. Respecting your opponent is the key to playing hard each week. The 2009 team was talented but in my opinion listened to the blowhards too much. They underestimated two of the three teams that they lost to and both ran a style of offense very familiar to us older Pirates. I hope they learn from some of the mistakes made the last couple of years and get back to Pirate Football. There is plenty of talent coming back to have a good team next year.....just how good they will be is how hard they work in the off season and if they play as a team.

The 2010 Pirates need to look at how the 2007 team approached each game 2 years ago. They did not overlook anyone and played hard whether it was a team they should beat or a team that was equally as good. Respecting your opponent is the key to playing hard each week. The 2009 team was talented but in my opinion listened to the blowhards too much. They underestimated two of the three teams that they lost to and both ran a style of offense very familiar to us older Pirates. I hope they learn from some of the mistakes made the last couple of years and get back to Pirate Football. There is plenty of talent coming back to have a good team next year.....just how good they will be is how hard they work in the off season and if they play as a team.

I do agree with this post 1994. I had a son that was a Jr. on the 07 team. To me it seem like after that state game the Pirates have only played as good as they needed to. The last two years they have over looked and when it was close games they started to play hard but sometimes it was to late. I think they do need to get back on the weights. I know the whole time my kid played they were in that weight room all the time. I am really worried about the QB passion next year to. But I have faith in the Pirates it will be all good. I don't know a lot about football so please take this as only a opinion.

I do agree with this post 1994. I had a son that was a Jr. on the 07 team. To me it seem like after that state game the Pirates have only played as good as they needed to. The last two years they have over looked and when it was close games they started to play hard but sometimes it was to late. I think they do need to get back on the weights. I know the whole time my kid played they were in that weight room all the time. I am really worried about the QB passion next year to. But I have faith in the Pirates it will be all good. I don't know a lot about football so please take this as only a opinion.

This is goin to hurt some feelings. Old Pirate says the Pirates are a dominate program year in, year out. Old Pirate says sometimes with the future looking so rosey with an abundance of talent coming up folkes have the tendency to slack off. That means a WHOLE group of folkes, parents,players and coaches. Major Points: 1. Parents of players who sit back and watch their kids become less than they could be are to blame. Don't sit there and read this and git defensive or make excuses. There are areas that the parents could help or aid in the players development thru diet and exercise, and that don't mean sitting on the couch playing X-Box. 2. Players could help or aid in their own development with proper diet and exercise. Few..........................if any...............do anything more than a "TAD" of weight training for a few minutes and few days a year. The rumor is those weight lifting opportunities have a heep of players slacking. Players fail to git them selves into playing shape so coaches can have confidence enough they will go all out every play. OP was told the coaches addressed this issue during the season with players being called out for slacking during games. 3. Coaches not gitting the most out of every weight lifting and practice session. Coaching that fails to correct continued misques that start from day one and continue thru the season. 4. Fans that inflate the players head with such high praise before they have actually earned it. Players and coaches have to stay hungry every day of every week of every year to continue to improve. OP says the Pirates have achieved very respectable goals and should be proud, but higher goals were not obtained due to in OP's scared head for various reasons.

PARENTS, PLAYERS, COACHES AND FANS BETTER GIT BUSY...................................... :hungry: