Top AAA teams in the state??

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all,

It would be very difficult to argue with the fact that Lavergne is probably the most talented team in the state. My only issue with them is the fact that they have played a relatively weak early season schedule when compared to the schedules played by some of the other top tier teams. Riverdale, Memphis Central, Cleveland, Mt. Juliet, Morristown West, Millington and Clarksville are all being tested early and often and should be ready when tournament time comes around. As of right now this is how I would rank the teams I believe will be there at the end come March.

Clarksville and Cleveland have struggled their last few games but both remain extremely talented

MJ just won the Greenbank impressively

So, here it goes

1. Memphis Central

2. Lavergne

3. Riverdale

4. Mt. Juliet

5. Morristown West

6. Clarksville

7. Millington

8. Cleveland

Just my opinion, with not much separation from top to bottom. I haven't seen Millington or Mo West so I only place them on what I've heard. Any one of these can probably win it all.

I got to watch Jackson NS for the first time this season the other day. They're as good as advertised! They were the best team in the Dyersburg tournament despite them not winning it. They got caught in a bad game against Liberty Tech (who is a good AA team) and suffered their first loss of the season. Jalita Fason is absolutely for real and is only a Junior! She will be big time next year. Jessica Cobb will get D1 looks next year and is only a Junior as well. They have a Sophomore post player that is about 6'2 or 6'3 and doesn't play like a Sophomore. She's going to be Major D1 by her Senior season as well. I'm trying to tell you guys that this team is very solid and no one is giving them respect on here.

CoachT Fan poll has them 8th. I ranked them 8th. Their schedule doesn't allow them to get too far from home. Except them, they have not much competition in District 13-14. I pick them going to state. Ho-Hum. Same goes for Memphis Central. If they had not gone to State last year, Riverdale had to go to Memphis. I picked Northside or Millington to beat Memphis Central in Substate, Not giving State AAA schools or any other any respect could effect the rankings. Significant players hurt reduces rankings. Look at Hillsboro, off the rankings. I rank Memphis about 12th, whatever that means.

CoachT Fan poll has them 8th. I ranked them 8th. Their schedule doesn't allow them to get too far from home. Except them, they have not much competition in District 13-14. I pick them going to state. Ho-Hum. Same goes for Memphis Central. If they had not gone to State last year, Riverdale had to go to Memphis to get beat by them, hid at Nike which meant nothing about state, played few games, had not even thought about playing Jackson NS before Substate, I picked Northside or Millington to beat Memphis Central in Substate since there is something wrong with a school living on an invitation to an insignificant Tournament, Not giving State AAA schools or any other any respect, and makes one wonder about the caliber of their signees or if they don't have players hurt. Significant players hurt reduces rankings. Look at Hillsboro, off the rankings. I rank Memphis about 12th, whatever that means.

PHargis your bitterness is showing. Relax.

CoachT Fan poll has them 8th. I ranked them 8th. Their schedule doesn't allow them to get too far from home. Except them, they have not much competition in District 13-14. I pick them going to state. Ho-Hum. Same goes for Memphis Central. If they had not gone to State last year, Riverdale had to go to Memphis to get beat by them, hid at Nike which meant nothing about state, played few games, had not even thought about playing Jackson NS before Substate, I picked Northside or Millington to beat Memphis Central in Substate since there is something wrong with a school living on an invitation to an insignificant Tournament, Not giving State AAA schools or any other any respect, and makes one wonder about the caliber of their signees or if they don't have players hurt. Significant players hurt reduces rankings. Look at Hillsboro, off the rankings. I rank Memphis about 12th, whatever that means.

What do you have against teams going to the Nike Tournament? Jealous that your team has not been invited? Morristown West and Memphis Central are both state title contenders, and they both represented very well in Phoenix. Calling tournaments like this insignificant and belittling the schools who choose to accept the invite is very short-sighted. West has has been 25-30 pts. better than everyone they have played in state.

Personally, I think it huge for the players, their program, their school and community that Morristown West went out west (once in a lifetime trip for some of them) and came home 3rd in a national tournament. The trip also included a dominating 59-43 victory over #10 Oak Ridge, CA, without their best player on the floor.

Bri, no bitterness whatsoever and why should there be. Only laid out the facts. The rankings realy mean nothing and the State will be won on the court. But the question was why not give Jackson NS some credit. Jackson NS has been given some credit right or wrong. Also Region 8AAA and 7aaa includes District 13, 14, 15 and 16. All of the schools mentioned are in the same regions. The only point is, to explain further, some had possibly projected NS to come out the region to the state. I likely detailed the reasons too much and will delete the reasons if that is what you mean. I do agree with you after reading the post.

What do you have against teams going to the Nike Tournament? Jealous that your team has not been invited? Morristown West and Memphis Central are both state title contenders, and they both represented very well in Phoenix. Calling tournaments like this insignificant and belittling the schools who choose to accept the invite is very short-sighted. West has has been 25-30 pts. better than everyone they have played in state.

Personally, I think it huge for the players, their program, their school and community that Morristown West went out west (once in a lifetime trip for some of them) and came home 3rd in a national tournament. The trip also included a dominating 59-43 victory over #10 Oak Ridge, CA, without their best player on the floor.

Your points are well made and most of them I can agree with within bounds. No jealousy is involved in the posts I have made. Giving teams trips for what ever reason is great and for nike to say that it is the reason for someone going is certainly good. For Nike to get in the middle of a High School season when they are so involved in AAU and other organizations in the summer does not seem quite right. this is not belittleing schools in any way and after reading my previous posts, I should have given other reasons. High Schools in States play seasons for reasons and some of it has to do with financing their own programs, providing money for travel, etc. Local or instate tournaments provide some of that money. Fans in the State like to see those teams. How can you say a team who is 3w-6L be invited to a Nike tournament be there for the reasons you mentioned? How can you say they beat a team there who only scored 8 points there means anything? Coming home beating a team like OR, California is impressive and the school and the team should be commended. it is an accomplishment that will be spoken of for years likely. MO West is one of the best high school teams in the State. They are one of 8 teams that will earn their way to the State. Publicity has been given them that many don't even know who they are.

My point is this. Nike seems to be starting to interfere too much in State high School sports. They can take over the summer/off season events it seems to me. To go further interferes with school programs. Ninety percent of schools at the Nike were from 5 states it looked like.

My viewpoints on the matter may be minority viewpoints and were not posted to downgrade West, Central or Baylor. Schools can do anything they want if they pay for it. Providing well earned incentives by fans for well earned trips is great. Exposure events are provided all thru the summer. To me, and I am wrong I'm sure, an exposure event for High Schools during a College/University season sponsered by Nike interferes with a High School season. If I'm wrong, and as I said I may be. Tennessee is known as having VERY GOOD Womens Basketball. Someone start an exposure event here. There are tournaments here already that come close to one. There are schools from outside the State coming in to Tennessee during this holiday period. If that wouldn't work because the many tournaments being held were events that were promoted ALSO for other reasons, so be it. The comment by this poster from East Tennessee about beating everyone by 30 points could be taken as meaning there is no one their class in the State so they had to go. that has been the impression others have given and since that is an unproven impression, i can only say this, if anyone thinks in the State that they have no competition here they have only played in their only small area.

There re very few unbeaten teams in the State.

Keep an eye on Memphis Ridgeway. They are undefeated in two national tournaments and enter district play at 10-1.

BE. your comment is very astute as always and brings me to this point which likely will cause again some comment. Four or five schools in the state, for reasons of their own and likely, IMO, very good reasons, have not been able to enter into Tournaments against teams which they feel they want to play, have started their own Tournaments or attended Such as the Nike or the Classic in Columbus, Ohio. Ridgeway, Memphis Central, Memphis Overton, Hillsboro and Clarksville along with MO West have taken that route. For some time in the last 3-4 years, it had become obvious that a lot of these schoools had not participated very much in prominent State Tournaments. For some time these schools did participate in Summer camps at Shelbyville or took players and teams into events at Hooptown. But there has been some uneasiness as to the caliber of play and the exposure of players in some areas of the State and it has been published to be so. The published articles have been candid and mostly alude to their players being diamonds in the rough and likely the self analysis has some merit.

This being said Memphis Central Started the Turkey Jam either this year or last and this year provided a number of good teams and from reports was a good Tournament. Teams from the State and out of State played. While these were prominent teams, likely Central and Memphis partisons are trying to provide a great Tournament with some College exposure, they are doing it for player development also.

Hillsboro had a playday in Cool Springs with a number of good schools attending and I think had schools such as LCHS among others with the same intentions I would suspect. While a somewhat mystry school who is difficult to get information on, Memphis Overton likely has not had Tournaments to attend and have gone to Columbus, Ohio, going to Virginia, and maybe another out of State place to play. Clarksville High school has done the same. Ridgeway has gone into Columbus also.

On this site before the season, a list of tournaments were posted but were likely posted from schedules turned and likely were posted too late as TSSAA likesw to have them on the schedule. These is no reason that great Tournaments can't be held as schools are going out of State and many schools from out of state are trying to play the great schools here. All of the schools mentioned here are top tier schools and Memphis Central has played a few in Memphis but has not played in other parts of the State and the Same is for Mo West. If Tournaments with exposure events are needed some schools are missing an opportunity all thru the state to take advantage of this evident need. yes there are some great Tournaments but there is evidently a need for more. But in addition, CoachT has provided a listing of Tournaments or might be able to provide an area for a listing of Tournaments before the schedules are sent in so contacts can be made. It is evident communications to make contacts early might not readily be available. The Tournaments and Playdays are going to happen and if exposure participants(school representatives) need to know earlier, it would help them also. Your comment.

Keep an eye on Memphis Ridgeway. They are undefeated in two national tournaments and enter district play at 10-1.

BE. your comment is very astute as always and brings me to this point which likely will cause again some comment. Four or five schools in the state, for reasons of their own and likely, IMO, very good reasons, have not been able to enter into Tournaments against teams which they feel they want to play, have started their own Tournaments or attended Such as the Nike or the Classic in Columbus, Ohio. Ridgeway, Memphis Central, Memphis Overton, Hillsboro and Clarksville along with MO West have taken that route. For some time in the last 3-4 years, it had become obvious that a lot of these schoools had not participated very much in prominent State Tournaments. For some time these schools did participate in Summer camps at Shelbyville or took players and teams into events at Hooptown. But there has been some uneasiness as to the caliber of play and the exposure of players in some areas of the State and it has been published to be so. The published articles have been candid and mostly alude to their players being diamonds in the rough and likely the self analysis has some merit.

This being said Memphis Central Started the Turkey Jam either this year or last and this year provided a number of good teams and from reports was a good Tournament. Teams from the State and out of State played. While these were prominent teams, likely Central and Memphis partisons are trying to provide a great Tournament with some College exposure, they are doing it for player development also.

Hillsboro had a playday in Cool Springs with a number of good schools attending and I think had schools such as LCHS among others with the same intentions I would suspect. While a somewhat mystry school who is difficult to get information on, Memphis Overton likely has not had Tournaments to attend and have gone to Columbus, Ohio, going to Virginia, and maybe another out of State place to play. Clarksville High school has done the same. Ridgeway has gone into Columbus also.

On this site before the season, a list of tournaments were posted but were likely posted from schedules turned and likely were posted too late as TSSAA likesw to have them on the schedule. These is no reason that great Tournaments can't be held as schools are going out of State and many schools from out of state are trying to play the great schools here. All of the schools mentioned here are top tier schools and Memphis Central has played a few in Memphis but has not played in other parts of the State and the Same is for Mo West. If Tournaments with exposure events are needed some schools are missing an opportunity all thru the state to take advantage of this evident need. yes there are some great Tournaments but there is evidently a need for more. But in addition, CoachT has provided a listing of Tournaments or might be able to provide an area for a listing of Tournaments before the schedules are sent in so contacts can be made. It is evident communications to make contacts early might not readily be available. The Tournaments and Playdays are going to happen and if exposure participants(school representatives) need to know earlier, it would help them also. Your comment.