New Districts and 7AAA

govols10

I want to add a reminder on pitchers if a pitcher pitches 2 days in a row he cannot throw on the 3rd day so if you have a closer you will only be able to use him in 2 of those games

I do not like this rule. Did the coaches vote on this or is it a TSSAA rule?

apparently this is a rule i made up in my head somewhere i have always thought the most a pitcher can pitch we 10 innings in 10 days and that if a pitcher pitched on consecutive days he had to sit for one HOWEVER i am not finding that rule to back myself up. so i guess it was a riverdaleman rule lol

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Columbia...I think Blackman has the slightedge. However, I'm not sure how deep their staff goes, and depth is going to be important.

Here's the issue s I see it. With three games on the line, you staff has to be deep...by that, I mean 7-8 kids who have decent velocity, decent pitches, and some game experience. If your 1/2/3 pitchers throw well, then you're good. If they have an off-night, lack of depth could spell doom.

I don't pretend to know what everyone else in 7AAA has in their bullpen. I am aware of what the M'boro teams have for 1/2/3, but beyond that, I don't know any names. With that in mind, I'll only prognosticate for the team I do know!

Oakland has 4 pitchers (2 juniors/2 seniors) who throw at least mid-80's. Some throw a bit harder. They're solid, too. And, all 4 have district experience, and all 4 have competed in upper level travel ball. Around that core of pitchers is 4 more kids (3 juniors/1 senior) who are strong - very capable of eating some innings.

Then there's a couple of sophomores who, I would guess, will see lots of innings in weekend games. Success in those would give them opportunities for district games.

I don't see anyone else having the depth and quality that Oakland has.

I was told Blackmon has 6-7 guys that are 83mph or better, with most of the 6-7 being better than 83. That is just what I was told. I would like to see it for myself because that is really good velocity in early February. Usually, guys will be 2-3 mph harder in May than they are right now. Easy math tells you they could have 6-7 guys 85mph by tournament time. That is of course if everything I have heard is true. We all know how velocity seems to"jump" when word gets poassed between people.

I agree with Columbia...I think Blackman has the slightedge. However, I'm not sure how deep their staff goes, and depth is going to be important.

Here's the issue s I see it. With three games on the line, you staff has to be deep...by that, I mean 7-8 kids who have decent velocity, decent pitches, and some game experience. If your 1/2/3 pitchers throw well, then you're good. If they have an off-night, lack of depth could spell doom.

I don't pretend to know what everyone else in 7AAA has in their bullpen. I am aware of what the M'boro teams have for 1/2/3, but beyond that, I don't know any names. With that in mind, I'll only prognosticate for the team I do know!

Oakland has 4 pitchers (2 juniors/2 seniors) who throw at least mid-80's. Some throw a bit harder. They're solid, too. And, all 4 have district experience, and all 4 have competed in upper level travel ball. Around that core of pitchers is 4 more kids (3 juniors/1 senior) who are strong - very capable of eating some innings.

Then there's a couple of sophomores who, I would guess, will see lots of innings in weekend games. Success in those would give them opportunities for district games.

I don't see anyone else having the depth and quality that Oakland has.

Very good breakdown southpaw.....I know Oakland is going to be back playing at the level people are used to seeing them play. Last year was just one of those years.....but it might have helped them more than they know.

I was told Blackmon has 6-7 guys that are 83mph or better, with most of the 6-7 being better than 83. That is just what I was told. I would like to see it for myself because that is really good velocity in early February. Usually, guys will be 2-3 mph harder in May than they are right now. Easy math tells you they could have 6-7 guys 85mph by tournament time. That is of course if everything I have heard is true. We all know how velocity seems to"jump" when word gets poassed between people

I am sure you did not mean it this way, but I get so tired of reading about velocity as an indicator as to how well kids pitch. If all a pitcher can only throw is a fastball in the mid 80's or even 90's without a good curveball or changeup, they will get hit and hit hard at this level.

Pitchers in High School that are "good" (and can even become great) have control of at least 3 or more pitches that they can throw for strikes, from the same release point ("tunneling"), with an effective change in velocity of 6mph or more between pitches. If a kid can do that he will be almost un-hittable. Unfortunately all we do now is look at the radar gun and talk about how fast the kids are registering on the gun. As if that will tell us how good the pitchers are or how good they will become.

The three important tools a pitcher needs to be effective are, and in specific order,

1) Location

2) Movement

and last

3) Velocity

I hear about certain kids throwing 83-85 and up....... any decent hitter can hit the fastball unless it gets 88 and above. What CAN, but not always, be tough is a guy who throws 64-68 and hits his spots. Just watch Riverdale.

Also look at a gun sometime when a coach has it out. It's easy to get fooled sometimes a guy who looks like he's throwing 88 might only really be throwing 81-82.

Riverdale Man, I'm just picking at you. I'll introduce myself to you and you'll know me.

Those are great posts! I agree 100% about velocity. A good changeup can make an average fastball even better. If a pitcher has 3 good pitches and can throw them for strikes...I agree...he'll be successful. Of course, if the velocity on his FB is significant, then he's real tough.

I, too, hear of kids who throw 88-90, but can't throw a strike. And, if they don't have any other pitches, then kids at this level are smart enough to sit back and get the timing down.

As Crash Davis said, "Strike outs are fascist. Throw some ground balls...their more democratic."

Great posts. Working ahead and throwing strikes early in the game and counts will be important to keeping the starters on the mound. All of this supports the need for a deep staff. The coaches strategy has to include winning series while protecting arms for the season. I am sure that coaches will have different opinions and strategies. Of course some of those will be influenced and driven by the bench they have. A deeper bench will give coaches many more options - of course this is stating the obvious but it is far more important this year and in this format than the format of years past.

Getting closer!!!!!

These are are great points about being able to throw three pitches for strikes with good movement and all that. However, this is high school baseball. There aren't 20 pitchers in Tennessee who have three QUALITY pitches and can locate all three of them. Velocity is what seperates guys at this level. Someone put any team can hit a guy that throws 90 at this level if that is all he has. WRONG. I would be willing to bet that 90% of high school baseball players would not consistently square up 90 if they KNEW it was coming. Yes, Farragut, Bartlett, Oakland, and all of the elite teams could hit a guy that only has a 90 mph fastball but there are 60 other teams in AAA that would have a tough time with it.