New Districts and 7AAA

govols10

pitching ,pitching , pitching, the way most are talking guess its going to be hard to score in this district. LOL

“Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.” Casey Stengel

“Nobody likes to hear it, because it's dull, but the reason you win or lose is darn near always the same - pitching.” Earl Weaver

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pitching ,pitching , pitching, the way most are talking guess its going to be hard to score in this district. LOL

“Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.” Casey Stengel

“Nobody likes to hear it, because it's dull, but the reason you win or lose is darn near always the same - pitching.” Earl Weaver

An ex-big leaguer told me one day he was playing against the Orioles and Earl Weaver went to the mound to talk to Jim Palmer. Palmer told him to never come to the mound when he was pitching, send the pitching coach. Palmer told Weaver "the only thing you know about pitching is that you couldn't hit it when you played."

Yea I saw your post but Nobdy is who I was replying to. He put that GOOD pitchers have control of at least three pitches. I don't think there are 20 pitchers in Tennessee who have control of three QUALITY pitches. I am talking about a fastball 85 and up. I sharp curveball and a changeup that takes off 8-10mph with arm-side run. There may be a bunchj of kids out there that can spot 75 with a loopy curveball and a changeup that is about 3mph different than the fastball That kid is not what I would consider a good pitcher. But, you did ask how many pitchers throw high 80's. There are 3-4 in 8AAA I know of. I am sure there are 5-6 in 7AAA. There are a handful in Williamson CO. as well. I think there may be more than you think.

Your right my post does mistakenly indicate that GOOD Pitchers should be able to consistently throw all three pitches for strikes. I did not intend to write it that way but was really trying to say that is what the Good pitchers should be working towards. If they do achieve command of all three pitches and can throw for strikes consistently then they will be the Elite pitchers and should be able to pitch in College and perhaps make it to the Pros. However, the good news is that High School Pitchers do not have throw the curve or changeup consistently for strikes, they only have to show those pitches to the batters to keep them off balance (assuming they do not tip those pitches by changing their delivery and release point). Hitting is all about timing and pitching is all about disrupting that timing. The faster a kid throws the fastball the less differential is required between the fastball and the offspeed pitches to disrupt the batters timing. The slower the kid throws his fastball the more of a differential is required.

Well mother nature has truely thrown a curve ball to start the baseball season hopefully we can still hit it without setting us back

We saw this coming when we had low temps of 58-59 last July :blush:

I bet if you got Coach Messer to do a little indian "warm weather" dance, it might give us a break. I'd pay good money to see it!

Well mother nature has truely thrown a curve ball to start the baseball season hopefully we can still hit it without setting us back

We saw this coming when we had low temps of 58-59 last July :thumb:

I bet if you got Coach Messer to do a little indian "warm weather" dance, it might give us a break. I'd pay good money to see it!

HMMMMM HOW MUCH OF A DONATION are you willing to give for that warm weather dance and if you come to the alumni game on March 13th at RIVERDALE i might be able to talk him into it LOL

we had a great first scrimmage today we hit the ball decent and our pitching improved during the scrimmage our hitters hit well and defense was good for a first scrimmage I am sure the coaches found some things that they were pleased with and some things that needs to be addressed good job guys on a well played hard scrimmage

GO WARRIORS