Who will be the next QB in Div II AA....

CantBstopped

BA finishes runner-up in Vandy 7 on 7 this weekend among 30 teams.

BA's QB seemed to have the advantage over MBA's Simonis and the MUS QB right now.

They were the only DII QBs there.

BA's QB is taller, stronger and much more athletic than the other two.

Simonis might have a more accurate arm but lacks height to see down field.

MUS QB seemed young and inexperienced. Threw 3 picks in one game.

I know it is backyard football that I was watching but you got to start somewhere.

Edited by shakinthefat

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly hoping Simonis is all he looked to be at the end of last season. I am, however, first and foremost a pessimist. My gas tank is always half empty, and I've been known in more than a few quarters as "Eeyore." So....

One thing to remember about Simonis' performances in the Ensworth-BA-MUS run last season is there was almost no film on him. Ensworth would have seen nothing at all. BA had the Ensworth game to review, but one game really doesn't give you much more than a glimpse of a QB's capabilities. MUS had two games to consider, but that's still not enough to establish any real tendencies to discuss with your defense. Then you have to consider the fact that MBA could do a lot of utterly unpredictable and unorthodox things given Lassing's versatility. He could run, pass, or even change the field with a quick kick (though I don't recall them doing that).

Much more of the onus will be on Simonis, and Simonis alone. MBA will also probably have to stick with a more orthodox game plan, which in turn is a little more predictable. He certainly looked good at the end of the year, but I don't know a lot about jis supporting cast this season.

Trust me, Aaron Simonis will only continue to prove that he can handle the "onus". He is without a doubt one of the best leaders you will see on the football field as well as off. Last year at MBA he wasn't required to do some of the things that will be required this year but trust me as one who has seen him for years he is quite capable of handling whatever those advanced BA & ENSWORTH scouting reports throw at him.

Trust me, Aaron Simonis will only continue to prove that he can handle the "onus". He is without a doubt one of the best leaders you will see on the football field as well as off. Last year at MBA he wasn't required to do some of the things that will be required this year but trust me as one who has seen him for years he is quite capable of handling whatever those advanced BA & ENSWORTH scouting reports throw at him.

I certainly hope he's all he seemed at the end of the season. My point wasn't to suggest that any short-comings on his part, but rather to point that he his appearance put Ensworth and Ba at something of a disadvanatge. Of course, the advanatage that accrued to MBA would have been meaningless if Simonis hadn't performed. again, no knock on the young man.

If you've followed him for some years, how is it that he was a running back during the preseason? Had he played QB prior to last year? Sadly, the alumni magazine has become a very sophisticated publication, and no longer devotes space to a recap of sub-varsity teams. That section used to be incredibly informative for those of us who allow 15-18 year old athletes to control more of our time than they really should.

Where does the SR QB Zdancewicz find himself on the depth chart? He threw over 1000 yds last year.

Personally, I think Powell might have gotten the start over Zdancewicz -- 6'3" makes a difference compared to 5'9". However, I think Zdancewicz was injured and is having surgery and will be out for a while, so Powell will be getting the start. Powell got some good experience last year and threw 2 nice TD passes in the playoff loss to Brentwood.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya I'm not sure why Huesman's name hasn't poppped up more. Seems like people are overlooking him like they're overlooking Baylor. Who was the other finalist last year besides huesman and brunetti?

Probably because this board is mostly middle Tennesseans. It's not a slight (or at least not an intentional one), there just aren't a lot of posters who are real familiar with his work. There are a few Chattanoogans, and they'll pop up as the season gets started.

The high school football magazine "Friday Night Football" premiere edition list Wirth Campbell as the best QB in middle TN both DI and DII.

In the Chattanooga region (DI and DII), Baylor's Huesman is listed as the best QB.

In the Memphis region (DI and DII), Briarcrest's Johnson is listed as the best QB.

I'm pretty sure Wirth got this because of his performance on the camp circuit this summer. He has a lot to prove in game situations. There is no argrument that he has a big time arm and he has gotten a lot stronger and more athletic. As I have mentioned before, we will know a lot more after the Oakland and MBA games.