Riverdale Offseason Thread!

warhawks

One thing I'd really like to see is for #3 to find the right home and be a force in 2010. Either put on about 20-30 pounds of mean and take over one of those LB spots or, be the man that nails down the gambler role next year. Since first seeing him as a freshmen I've expected him to become a dominant player.

There are several upcoming seniors that could be big factors by next fall.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Should be a really interesting spring this year...especially as the QB position will have to be settled.

Just a look at some the returning guys that either started or got a lot of playing time. Not concerned about offense/defense just with guys that are bringing back a lot of experience. I may miss some.

QB:

None. I don't think A.D. got any meaningful snaps with the first team during the season.

Linemen:

McClusky 6-5, 300+

Taylor 6-3, 285

Mccullough 5-11, 295

Good group to build around. I really like a lot of the other linemen and expect the lines to be a strength again this year.

Backs/Receivers:

Davenport

Nowlin

Parker

Gaines

Odom

Doyle

Another good group that should just get better as more guys push for PT.

TE/LB:

Boland

Along with the QB position, the TE/LB spots appear to be wide open. Again, there are players with talent but some guys are going to have to step up.

Kickers:

none

There are some other guys that played a lot on special teams. Hopefully some of those can step it up to the next level. Is there anyone from the freshmen team that can contribute in the thin areas? I'm also expecting to see a couple of the rising Jrs take some of the open line spots. That is a really good class if it stays together.

My wish list:

1. Tighter DB coverage. Keeping everything if front of you works until you get a passing team that can execute. Challenging the receiver on every play works against everybody...if you have the players and coaching to do it. We need to find a way to tighten up the pass defense. A little more #2 below can help.

2. More athleticism in our pass rush. Too often we could push into the the backfield but not secure the QB because he was a 165 pounder jukeing a 300 pounder.

3. Linebackers that make game-changing plays. We missed too many opportunities in '09.

4. A kicking game at least equal to '09.

I fully expect the offense to pick up where they left off...they will be good in '10 if the QB position is solid. The defense was better if '09 and needs to get to the next level in the second year under Wells. Special teams are a huge question mark.

When is spring practice?

well tdcman, the tight end position is wide open for next year.Somebody needs to step.The big linemen up front with have to play both ways just as Mayes did this year, but with hard work they to will be able to play on Saturday's in the future.The QB position in my opinion will be down a little bit from 09 simply because the next QB wasn't able to get the necessary reps during the season, but if the kid that I think will win the job actually wins it, we will be fine.Just be patient with him early on this year.We lost two great snappers and a great kicker, so somebody needs to fill big shoes on special teams.I do not know who is competing for the kicking job, but I will find out.One thing for sure, Wells will have the defense I feel playing better next year.I know some feel the warriors will be sown on D next year, but I am here to tell you there is plenty of speed that will be the junior and sophomore class next year, and most have seen playing time since they played in middle school.I will check on the weight meet for this year, and post what I find out.Look for Oakland and Riverdale to play some more great games again this season is my prediction.