Riverdale Offseason Thread!

warhawks

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The second game against Oakland was one of the better defensive performances by Riverdale. However, the weakness in pass defense was very evident. What would have happened if Oakland coaches had not conceded the power game. It should have set off giant alarms on the Riverdale sideline that Oakland could look like the Baltimore Colts after having not passed the football all year.

Throughout the season, especially in the first game against Oakland and the game against Farragut, it looked like Riverdale's best defense was their ability to control the football with the offense. The offense was able to do what it did only because they could pass effectively when needed. When the offense faltered (Maryville) the defense was not able to step up and get a stop.

As we move into spring it will be interesting to see if (1) the defense can begin to become a domintaing unit, and (2) was Riverdale's ability to pass strictly Cody West or will it be part of the philosophy going forward.

For my two cents; I don't think we saw Riverdale's defense put up a dominating performance against a good offense. Although Oakland and Blackman were very good football teams, that was mostly on the strength of their defenses...neither offense was very good. We need to get our defense cranked up before Oakland decides to hire an offensive coordinator.

BTW, congrats to Cody West on his commitment to Navy. I bet Cody would have been a heck of a linebacker.

Oakland wont need a offensive coordinator. Thomas will get better as the years go on. I think Oakland fans will see even more wrinkles this year with the juggernaut of a backfield Oakland will have.

Don't matter who you have in the backfield, your team has always been built on defense, and your best defense players are all gone.I think you better get a offense coordinator.

Thomas took a team to the State Championship in his first year when their combined record the previous 4 years was 11-29. Oakland is just going to reload. Oakland's team maybe built on their defense, but Defensive Coordinators around the State will have nightmare's trying to stop Oakland next season.

Our defense has been the strength at Oakland for years. White does an excellent job but let's face it, he inherited a pretty solid defense when he came on board. We would have won more games had our offense been able to hold onto the dang ball when Ferg was there. Our offense has been our downfall at OHS for awhile now. We had the talent, we just didn't have the offensive playcalling that we needed. I think McDaniel needs to realize that this is not one of the old Riverdale superstar teams loaded with D-1 athletes and 5 deep on the sidelines with barely a drop-off in talent. No one is going to roll over and die b/c Oakland comes onto the field. We don't have the same impact that RHS did no matter what color we suit them up in. ( Did I mention that I DESPISE this dang RED?) The talent in this region is pretty equal right now. No one is scared of Riverdale either. McDaniel has GOT to make some adjustments. Sometimes I think he is one of those coaches who has been around for 20+ plus years who refuses to change with the times instead of a young and coming coach. That right there is the rankin way and if you don't have the athletes you can't use that philosophy. Anyone could have coached that talent to the state at RHS and most of us know this. Now give rankin credit for making sure he had the best at his school. Watson insisted on maintaining that Rankin "I refuse to change" approach and we all know Seegull's record and where watson is now. McDaniel is a bright, ambitious, and knowledgeable guy. Start coaching your OWN way and according to what your talent is and quit being a Rankin clone. What is the deal with these coaches being so arrogant that they refuse to pass?

pretty interesting that Riverdale folk are seeing that our weakness is our OC.

This is OAKLAND, it AIN'T RIVERDALE!!

Until I see what this years version of the 'Wing-T' is going to be I am NOT going to say anything about anyone elses offense. dry.gif

If we revert to the no pass version, I can see us going 5-5 again as the Region/District has achieved parity.

First of all..................I like the wing offense; especially the option-type that Riverdale runs. I just thought I would check some facts about offense production in your so-called vaunted district, and what I found out did not surprise me.

Here is 2008 results:

1.) Riverdale (10 games) - 291 pts (29.1 avg)

2.) Oakland (15 games) - 332 pts (22.1 avg)

3.) Smyrna (13 games) - 212 pts (16.3 avg)

4.) Blackman (10 games) - 129 pts (12.9 avg)

1.) Riverdale (14 games) - 404 pts (28.9 avg)

2.) Blackman (13 games) - 335 pts (25.8 avg)

3.) Oakland (13 games) - 331 pts (23.9 avg)

4.) Smyrna (10 games) - 218 pts (21.8 avg)

Riverdale (11 games) - 298 pts (27.1 avg)..........note Smyrna was (28.4 avg)

Riverdale (14 games ) - 437 pts (31.2)

YOUR team by stats on this website is easily year over year the most productive offense in the district; yet every other week you continually slam the so-called antiquated useless offense...............what exactly are you expecting? Please do not let common sense get in the way of the above facts..........Riverdale's offense is very good.

You can score 100 points a game, but if you are not winning it don't mean squat! dry.gif

Also we USED to have consistancy and a positive turnover ratio. Whether we do now is just a guess without the statistics which I do not keep. If you look at 2008 we did do something we had not done in the prior 19 years. We did NOT go to the playoffs! This past year Coach A FINALLY started to use the passing game and teach the O-line how to pass block. This combined with a QB that went above and beyond is what got us as far as we did this year.

Now the question is will we have 2009 or 2008 AGAIN? Frankly I have gotten to the point that I do NOT care what offense we run as long as we WIN! It has been TOO long since the last Gold Ball!

Don't matter who you have in the backfield, your team has always been built on defense, and your best defense players are all gone.I think you better get a offense coordinator.

Thomas took a team to the State Championship in his first year when their combined record the previous 4 years was 11-29. Oakland is just going to reload. Oakland's team maybe built on their defense, but Defensive Coordinators around the State will have nightmare's trying to stop Oakland next season.

Yeah everybody's going to have nightmare's of run left,run right, and run up the middle.Unless you guys have a transfer qb coming in I don't know about, I am guessing all throws won't be much over fifteen yards.

Until I see what this years version of the 'Wing-T' is going to be I am NOT going to say anything about anyone elses offense. dry.gif

If we revert to the no pass version, I can see us going 5-5 again as the Region/District has achieved parity.

First of all..................I like the wing offense; especially the option-type that Riverdale runs. I just thought I would check some facts about offense production in your so-called vaunted district, and what I found out did not surprise me.

Here is 2008 results:

1.) Riverdale (10 games) - 291 pts (29.1 avg)

2.) Oakland (15 games) - 332 pts (22.1 avg)

3.) Smyrna (13 games) - 212 pts (16.3 avg)

4.) Blackman (10 games) - 129 pts (12.9 avg)

1.) Riverdale (14 games) - 404 pts (28.9 avg)

2.) Blackman (13 games) - 335 pts (25.8 avg)

3.) Oakland (13 games) - 331 pts (23.9 avg)

4.) Smyrna (10 games) - 218 pts (21.8 avg)

Riverdale (11 games) - 298 pts (27.1 avg)..........note Smyrna was (28.4 avg)

Riverdale (14 games ) - 437 pts (31.2)

YOUR team by stats on this website is easily year over year the most productive offense in the district; yet every other week you continually slam the so-called antiquated useless offense...............what exactly are you expecting? Please do not let common sense get in the way of the above facts..........Riverdale's offense is very good.

Great post.Finally someone can back up what I have been saying all season long.Keep the wing-t Nolan.