Head Coach Search Sweetwater High

akphilips

NOT SURE HOW ALL THIS INFO GOT MIXED UP, BUT HERE GOES. NOT SURE IF A RED BANK COACH APPLIED FOR THE JOB, BUT THE COACH AT MEIGS COUNTY WAS MIKE MARTIN AND HE IS NOW AT EAST RIDGE, SO I ASSUME THAT IS WHO WE ARE SPEAKING ABOUT. HE IS A WONDERFUL COACH WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT HIS PLAYERS BOTH OFF AND ON THE FIELD. YOU ARE RIGHT, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE PERFECT PERSON FOR THE JOB. BUT THIS SHOULD BE A GOOD CLUE FOR MONROE COUNTY!! THEY HAVE NEVER PAID THEIR COACHES, YET THEY EXPECT TO HAVE THE BEST COACHES THERE IS! ITS LIKE BECAUSE OF THE FOOTBALL HISTORY IN SWEETWATER, THEY THINK THAT A COACH FEELS LIKE IT IS A PRIVILEGE TO BE THERE SO THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THEM AS MUCH! I'M NOT SURE IF THEY JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT THE SPORT ANY MORE OR THE MONEY IS GOING ELSEWHERE. ANOTHER THING SWEETWATER DOES NOT HAVE THE ATHLETES THEY USED TO HAVE. NO MATTER WHO YOU GET, THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BE GIVEN THE CHANCE TO REBUILD THIS TEAM AND IT CAN'T BE DONE IN ONE YEAR! THE PEOPLE IN SWEETWATER ARE SO QUICK TO JUDGE AFTER 2 OR 3 LOSSES AND START BLAMING THE COACH. THEY NEED TO STAND BEHIND WHOMEVER GETS IN AND SUPPORT THEM. THIS IS ANOTHER REASON  THEY HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME FINDING ANYONE. THE PARENTS ARE SOME OF THE HARSHEST CRITICS!!! THEY SHOULD HAVE SUPPORTED COACH STAFF AND HELPED TO BUILD THE TEAM HE WANTED INSTEAD OF TEARING HIM DOWN. THIS PAST COACH HAS LEFT DUE TO NO FAULT OF HIS OWN, AND YOU ARE RIGHT , THE PLAYERS NEED TO DO THINGS ON THEIR OWN UNTIL A COACH IS HIRED, BUT BELIEVE ME, THEY NEED DIRECTION!!! THAT IS WHY THERE HAS BEEN SO MANY PROBLEMS THERE, THEY CAN NOT FOLLOW THE DIRECTION OF THE COACH AND THE COACH HAS TO DEAL WITH THEM AND THEIR PARENTS. GOOD LUCK TO WHOEVER THEY GET, BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE A WHOLE BASKET OF WORMS TO DEAL WITH AT SWEETWATER!!!!!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT SURE HOW ALL THIS INFO GOT MIXED UP, BUT HERE GOES. NOT SURE IF A RED BANK COACH APPLIED FOR THE JOB, BUT THE COACH AT MEIGS COUNTY WAS MIKE MARTIN AND HE IS NOW AT EAST RIDGE, SO I ASSUME THAT IS WHO WE ARE SPEAKING ABOUT. HE IS A WONDERFUL COACH WHO REALLY CARES ABOUT HIS PLAYERS BOTH OFF AND ON THE FIELD. YOU ARE RIGHT, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE PERFECT PERSON FOR THE JOB. BUT THIS SHOULD BE A GOOD CLUE FOR MONROE COUNTY!! THEY HAVE NEVER PAID THEIR COACHES, YET THEY EXPECT TO HAVE THE BEST COACHES THERE IS! ITS LIKE BECAUSE OF THE FOOTBALL HISTORY IN SWEETWATER, THEY THINK THAT A COACH FEELS LIKE IT IS A PRIVILEGE TO BE THERE SO THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THEM AS MUCH! I'M NOT SURE IF THEY JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT THE SPORT ANY MORE OR THE MONEY IS GOING ELSEWHERE. ANOTHER THING SWEETWATER DOES NOT HAVE THE ATHLETES THEY USED TO HAVE. NO MATTER WHO YOU GET, THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BE GIVEN THE CHANCE TO REBUILD THIS TEAM AND IT CAN'T BE DONE IN ONE YEAR! THE PEOPLE IN SWEETWATER ARE SO QUICK TO JUDGE AFTER 2 OR 3 LOSSES AND START BLAMING THE COACH. THEY NEED TO STAND BEHIND WHOMEVER GETS IN AND SUPPORT THEM. THIS IS ANOTHER REASON  THEY HAVE SUCH A HARD TIME FINDING ANYONE. THE PARENTS ARE SOME OF THE HARSHEST CRITICS!!! THEY SHOULD HAVE SUPPORTED COACH STAFF AND HELPED TO BUILD THE TEAM HE WANTED INSTEAD OF TEARING HIM DOWN. THIS PAST COACH HAS LEFT DUE TO NO FAULT OF HIS OWN, AND YOU ARE RIGHT , THE PLAYERS NEED TO DO THINGS ON THEIR OWN UNTIL A COACH IS HIRED, BUT BELIEVE ME, THEY NEED DIRECTION!!! THAT IS WHY THERE HAS BEEN SO MANY PROBLEMS THERE, THEY CAN NOT FOLLOW THE DIRECTION OF THE COACH AND THE COACH HAS TO DEAL WITH THEM AND THEIR PARENTS. GOOD LUCK TO WHOEVER THEY GET, BECAUSE THEY WILL HAVE A WHOLE BASKET OF WORMS TO DEAL WITH AT SWEETWATER!!!!!!!

Great Post! I could not agree more. Until Monroe County board of Education takes athletics seriously we will all continue to fall behind (Tellico, Sequoyah, and Sweetwater). There is no way we are going to be able to attract good Head Coaches and Assistants to our schools with the terrible coaching supplements we have to offer. In their eyes athletics is not important, they do not understand that athletics is a huge part of academics. Look at all these schools that have successful athletic programs, you do not see them struggling financially. Maybe this upcoming school board election we can start changing the thought process by electing new board members with fresh ideas. Go Bears, Chiefs, Wildcats!!!!

Sweetwater fans breath easy ok, you have an outstanding coach headed your way I think. Coach Marsh has an excellent football mind both on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He is great with X's and O's and is also an outstanding motivator. He will bring disicipline, and success to your football program. He has won everywhere he has coached including a state championship at Alcoa. He will be missed in alot of ways at Clinton. I promise Sweetwater fans, give this guy your full support and he will turn your football program back to the old winning ways. Good luck to him and your team. I guess I'm now a sweetwater supporter because I am for sure a Coach Marsh supporter.

Sweetwater fans breath easy ok, you have an outstanding coach headed your way I think. Coach Marsh has an excellent football mind both on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He is great with X's and O's and is also an outstanding motivator. He will bring disicipline, and success to your football program. He has won everywhere he has coached including a state championship at Alcoa. He will be missed in alot of ways at Clinton. I promise Sweetwater fans, give this guy your full support and he will turn your football program back to the old winning ways. Good luck to him and your team. I guess I'm now a sweetwater supporter because I am for sure a Coach Marsh supporter.

:D If he has taken the job Sweetwater got a good one. He is the same coach David Gregory had hired at Sequoyah until Dean Williams and a handful of his fellow Vonoreites decided to tell Mike Lowry who to hire, circumventing the entire hiring process. Gregory was told that morning to hire who he wanted except for Sam Mckorkle(Twice college head coach, assistant at several SEC schools) Mckorkle was ready to accept the job,,,, but Dean Williams and his Vonore posse told Mike Lowrey who THEY wanted hired not even bothering to fill out a current application for employment! .( In fact Gregory after he was told he could not hire Mckorkle , had Marsh on his way to the school to finalize the deal. When Mr. Moser(the principal) got a call that Dean Williams(school board) and Mike Lowery(superintendent) had decided who THEY WANTED to hired and it would be announced the next morning. Needless to say Coach Gregory resigned on the spot. In the earlier thread money was talked about, but In my opinion until you have honest school board members that want stick there nose were it doesn't belong and lie to people in the process the Monroe county school system including athletics will stay in shambles. Dean Williams is up for reelection and I believe the people in Monroe county have had enough. So get out and vote. Send the message that enough is enough and hopefully better days will be ahead for the kids in Monroe County.

From all that I have heard Sweetwater did get a good Coach! Money is a big problem in Monroe Co. though and something needs to be done! I would challenge everyone who thinks that way to get in contact with a board member. It may not help but if many feel this way please let it be known! Now money for a Coach isn't the only reason that teams aren't winning in Monroe Co., but it does play a part. Sweetwater is very young. When you have 2 freshman and 4 sophs starting on Varsity, most of them both ways, that is young! Tallent is a little down, but that won't last, there are good athletes coming up and some good young ones already there. Yes you are expected to win, most expect that. It is a little harder to take losing when it usually happens very little. Most every team will experince down times in their programs, even some of the better ones in the State.

Old Tiger - Nice try, say what you can to bring down a program that has some of the best tradition in the State.

Try to cause problems, but you should really worry about your program, all those horrible young players beat Meigs I think? You are just hoping that somehow the Wildcats will stay down. May take a little more time than usual but some young athletes are there and more will be.

Not gonna lie this is a hard place to Coach, but when you work hard most will get behind you, it's impossible to make everyone happy. From what I have heard about Coach Marsh he is a good Coach and a winner. As was said Coach Williams had personal problems that was why he left, he wasn't run off and he did a complete 180 in changing the offense.

Sorry for all the haters, enjoy it all you can, cause Sweetwater will be back!

Just want to welcome Coach Marsh and wish him all the best. all Players and soph class, time to step it up and be leaders. Just gotta want it, work for it, and take it! :D

Also want to say thanks to the fans that responded about Coach Marsh sounds like he is highly thought of.

From all that I have heard Sweetwater did get a good Coach! Money is a big problem in Monroe Co. though and something needs to be done! I would challenge everyone who thinks that way to get in contact with a board member. It may not help but if many feel this way please let it be known! Now money for a Coach isn't the only reason that teams aren't winning in Monroe Co., but it does play a part. Sweetwater is very young. When you have 2 freshman and 4 sophs starting on Varsity, most of them both ways, that is young! Tallent is a little down, but that won't last, there are good athletes coming up and some good young ones already there. Yes you are expected to win, most expect that. It is a little harder to take losing when it usually happens very little. Most every team will experince down times in their programs, even some of the better ones in the State.

Old Tiger - Nice try, say what you can to bring down a program that has some of the best tradition in the State.

Try to cause problems, but you should really worry about your program, all those horrible young players beat Meigs I think? You are just hoping that somehow the Wildcats will stay down. May take a little more time than usual but some young athletes are there and more will be.

Not gonna lie this is a hard place to Coach, but when you work hard most will get behind you, it's impossible to make everyone happy. From what I have heard about Coach Marsh he is a good Coach and a winner. As was said Coach Williams had personal problems that was why he left, he wasn't run off and he did a complete 180 in changing the offense.

Sorry for all the haters, enjoy it all you can, cause Sweetwater will be back!

Just want to welcome Coach Marsh and wish him all the best. all Players and soph class, time to step it up and be leaders. Just gotta want it, work for it, and take it! :roflolk:

Also want to say thanks to the fans that responded about Coach Marsh sounds like he is highly thought of.

I'm not sure where you got that I was tearing anyone down except for the school board. Apparently you are not privy to some off the things that have been going on. I wish Sweetwater and their new coach all the luck in the world, but if you have kept up with anything you know that is true about the way the people in Sweetwater dog their coaches!!! Or maybe you are one of the parents that particpates!!! Maybe you need to get this chip off your shoulder and try to make things better. Dig a little deeper before you post something that you have taken out of context. If you recall I also made the statement that they needed a rebuilding time, but we will see if that happens.